A Few Newbie Questions

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

17 December 2006 19:20

Is the Per Bend Sinister division associated with bastardry?

Who is and who is not allowed supporters and compartments?  I see few, if any, members’ arms with them.  And do the same rules apply to corporate and academic institutions?

Is ok that have arms that do not use a helm and mantling?

Is ok to have arms that use only a torse and crest or torse only?  What does the lack of a helm suggest?  I’ve noticed that academic and corporate institutions tend not to use helms.

How is the type of helm chosen?  Are any off limits?

Is ok to use a helm from a non-European country?  For example, could one use a Japanese samurai helment or an African mask as a base for a crest?

Can shield shapes be specified in the blazon?  I noticed that some Native Canadian and Native South African tribes use shield shapes specific to their cultures.

Where can I find a statement of the fridge and postage stamp tests?

Does the shield attached to this post violate the rules of tincture?

How do I get the images embedded into the post with the text?

Having trouble uploading my avatar.  Any suggestions?

Hope to hear from someone soon,

Trent

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

17 December 2006 21:18

Yes, the bend sinister is often times used to represent a bastard line. Learned that the hard way… wink

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

17 December 2006 21:21

Yes, I’ve seen the commentary on the bend sinister, but I’m talking about the division (per bend sinister), not the ordinary (bend sinister).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 December 2006 21:53

Trent,

For discussions on most of the issues you raise, take a look at the threads in the members only section (general discussion) under the rubric of "Code of Conduct."  There are discussions covering supporters, helmets, and a number of other topics.  This is all aimed at producing a consensus (or near consensus) AHS view of these matters.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 December 2006 22:05

Trent wrote:

No.

Quote:

Who is and who is not allowed supporters and compartments? I see few, if any, members’ arms with them. And do the same rules apply to corporate and academic institutions?

See previous mention of "code of conduct" threads.

Quote:

Yes.  It’s also permissible to display arms that do have crest, helm & mantling without them.

Quote:

Is ok to have arms that use only a torse and crest or torse only?

Only a torse, no—makes no sense.  Crest and torse only—sure, although some people object for a reason I’ve never understood.  Those who hold this view can speak for themselves.  Also see the code of conduct thread on the crest.

Quote:

What does the lack of a helm suggest? I’ve noticed that academic and corporate institutions tend not to use helms.

By an individual it just suggests that he doesn’t like the way the helm looks, or chooses not to use it in a particular setting.  Traditionally it has been argued that institutions that don’t have a physical bodily head to wear a helmet shouldn’t use one.  The same logic would say that such an institution can’t carry a shield, or (without a head) wear a crest.  I see it all as personal/institutional preference.

Quote:

How is the type of helm chosen? Are any off limits?

See code of conduct thread on the helm.

Quote:

Is ok to use a helm from a non-European country? For example, could one use a Japanese samurai helment or an African mask as a base for a crest?

Nothing morally objectionable; I don’t care for it esthetically, for reasons we can discuss if desired.

Quote:

Can shield shapes be specified in the blazon? I noticed that some Native Canadian and Native South African tribes use shield shapes specific to their cultures.

They can be, but I wouldn’t.  You can always have the arms emblazoned on a shield of any shape you like without writing it into the blazon.  If you write it into the blazon, you deprive yourself of flexibility later on.

Quote:

Search the archives of the forums.  In brief, the fridge test is, print out a rendering of the arms in large size and put it somewhere that you’ll see it several times a day for a couple of weeks.  See if you still like it as much after having it in your face for a while as you did when you first drew it up.  Postage stamp test—make a copy about the size of a postage stamp and see if the design is still distinguishable.  It’s a way of trying to prevent excessive clutter and complexity.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

Upload them to a web server, then click on the little icon above the text box that looks like a mountain with sun over it.  Paste the URL into the address box.

Quote:

Having trouble uploading my avatar. Any suggestions?

I can see your avatar (the little shield you asked about whether it violates the tincture rule), so you must be doing it right.

Welcome, by the way.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

17 December 2006 22:17

:shock: Wow Trent! What a ton of questions! :shock:

Trent wrote:

and
loaba wrote:

Yes, the bend sinister is often times used to represent a bastard line. Learned that the hard way… :wink:

Neither the bend sinister nor the "per bend sinister" division are associated with illegitamacy. You are confusing this with the baton sinister. See Parker’s Glossary of Heraldry pertaining to the bend sinister:

Quote:

Bend sinister, (fr. barre): an ordinary resembling the Bend is form, but extending from the sinister chief to the dexter base. It is, however, borne in English arms but rarely. Its diminutives are the scarpe, which is half its width, and the baton(q.v.), which is half as wide as the scarpe and couped.

According to Nisbet, bends sinister were formerly much borne in Scotland, but have generally been changed to dexter bends of late, from a mistaken notion that they always betokened illegitimacy. It is the sinister baton(or diminutive bend couped), which alone conveys this disgrace, In Germany the bend is borne almost as frequently sinister as dexter.

OK, for the rest of your questions…
Trent wrote:

Who is and who is not allowed supporters and compartments? I see few, if any, members’ arms with them. And do the same rules apply to corporate and academic institutions?

Supporters and compartments are generally reserved for the nobility and larger well established corporations and universities. See http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=133 for further discussion.
Trent wrote:

Sure. I display mine without helm, mantling, or crest all the time. See my avatar? See http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2144 for further discussion on mantlings.
Trent wrote:

Is ok to have arms that use only a torse and crest or torse only? What does the lack of a helm suggest? I’ve noticed that academic and corporate institutions tend not to use helms.

How is the type of helm chosen? Are any off limits?

See above answers…
Trent wrote:

Is ok to use a helm from a non-European country? For example, could one use a Japanese samurai helment or an African mask as a base for a crest?

I see nothing wrong with it as long as the shield and crest complement the helmet/mask/whatever…
Trent wrote:

Can shield shapes be specified in the blazon? I noticed that some Native Canadian and Native South African tribes use shield shapes specific to their cultures.

This question was just recently asked in this same area. Please see my answer to http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2301
Trent wrote:

Search the forum for "fridge". There are many threads that describe it.
Trent wrote:

No.
Trent wrote:

Upload them to photobucket.com or some other similar free site and then place the URL of the picture between the tags and
Trent wrote:

Having trouble uploading my avatar. Any suggestions?

It looks fine to me.

Whew!  That took a bit…hope it helps.

Take care,

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

17 December 2006 22:19

Sorry Joseph, I see you beat me to it.  I guess great minds think alike. LOL LOL

Take care,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

17 December 2006 22:42

Joe, Philip, and Johnathan,

Thanks so much.  You guys have been very helpful.  I will take some time now and check out those links you sent me.

Any suggestions about how to enlarge my avatar.  How should I blazon it, and does it pass the snicker test?  Does a fret symbolize persuasion?

By the way, the square in the fret is Or.  I’m not sure it can be seen clearly given the size of the image.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

17 December 2006 22:44
PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

17 December 2006 22:56

Trent,

If I can remember correctly, the default size for an avatar is 100x100 pixels. Whatever picture you upload as an avatar will automatically be resized to that, so try to create a .gif of your shield that meets that criteria.

For a blazon, I would try:

Per saltire Gules and Sable a fret argent doubled or.

Does it pass the snicker test? Absolutely.

Does a fret symbolize persuasion? Technically, the charges on your shield symbolize what you, the armiger, want it to symbolize. Traditionally, the fret symbolized a fishing net.

Take care,

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

17 December 2006 22:57

Your avatar looks much better!

Take care,

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

17 December 2006 23:01

Yup, much more visible now. Phil, speaking of avatars, I’m using a gif image which should support transperancy, yet there is still a discernable background coloring. Why is yours so neat?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

17 December 2006 23:08

loaba wrote:

Phil, speaking of avatars, I’m using a gif image which should support transperancy, yet there is still a discernable background coloring. Why is yours so neat?

I used Paintshop Pro when creating my avatar and made the background transparent prior to saving and uploading. Unfortunately I’m not at my normal computer right now or else I’d do the same to yours.

Take care,

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

17 December 2006 23:48

Carl-Alexander von Volborth wrote:

Arms of illegitimate children have been differenced in many ways. It seems unlikely that there ever was a rule that was generally accepted. Some would bear their father’s arms on a chevron, a canton, a bend, or a fess on an otherwise uncharged shield, others used different bordures. In early times, however, the bend sinister (also the bendlet sinister) seems to have been the brisure most generally adopted. Later the bendlet sinister was often diminished into a cotise sinister which still later was shortened at both ends into a cotise sinister couped, called a baton sinister

This fits my general understanding that the bend/bendlet sinister didn’t necessarily mean illegitimate, however, some might interperet it that way because of the history of it.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

17 December 2006 23:49

PBlanton wrote:

I used Paintshop Pro when creating my avatar and made the background transparent prior to saving and uploading. Unfortunately I’m not at my normal computer right now or else I’d do the same to yours.

Take care,

You can do this in photoshop as well, just delete the background layer.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

18 December 2006 00:05

Linusboarder wrote:

You can do this in photoshop as well, just delete the background layer.

Well, it should be that simple, maybe I have a setting screwed up. Dunno, but I am making transparent gifs.