New arminger?

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Total Posts:  360
Joined  30-04-2004

20 December 2006 05:01

Can anyone blazon the following?

http://photos-218.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v56/108/63/208300328/n208300328_30418218_5520.jpg

She wanted arms that she could pass to her son provided that her husband isnt going to have one.

And does anyone know if arms like this are being used? If not I want to register it for her.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

20 December 2006 11:30

Are you open to constructive criticism on the work from a fellow artist? If so let me know. If not just say so. Overall it is nice…

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Joined  30-04-2004

20 December 2006 11:51

Always open to constructive critisism, just note that the person in question loves this design even as un proportionate as it is.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2006 02:24

cool. the mantle is my big beef. i just don’t like how it is so small and comes to a point. In so being it draws the eye down that line to the outside of the achievement all together.

my other issue is a small one, but i don’t like the Argent feathers on the Phoenix on an Argent field (i believe it is Argent) it is this reason that i can’t come up with a solid blazon, but being an artist this part of heraldry is not really my strong-suit… more’s the pity. smile

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Joined  30-04-2004

21 December 2006 07:36

I have a problem with mantling… I can never seem to do up a nice one. I guess it is too complicated for me LOL.

For the Argent feathers I did not think that a phoenix would look like one with a monotone color… ie all purple. The armiger didnt like the one that was ALL purple but I will discuss it with her again.

Could you do the blazoning not emblazoning with it if it were all purple?

It has been a long time that I have been outside the heraldry world so some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2006 08:39

See and I have a problem with repeated charges, as my cartoonist heritage takes over and they begin to diverge one from the other and when there is more than three of those charges it really begins to diverge greatly. Sigh……

Anyway good job I think.

Sure I’ll try to blazon it. But, Joe and Guy and Fr. Guy and Hugh are better at blazoning than I am… so there may be a mistake or two… wink

Arms: Argent on a fess Purpure, between in chief three flaming swords paleways points upward Proper, and in base a Phoenix Purpure rising out of flames Proper, a fess Argent.

Crest: A griffin’s head erased Gules, ears (proper heraldic term?) Or, grasping in its beak a sword paleways Proper, point downward pommel and hilt Or.

Again I am not as good at blazoning as I am at emblazoning, so please be open to other’s correction where I messed up. Now where is that red faced emoticon?.........

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 December 2006 08:45

Donnchadh wrote:

Arms: Argent on a fess Purpure, between in chief three flaming swords paleways points upward Proper, and in base a Phoenix Purpure rising out of flames Proper, a fess Argent.

Pretty good.  No need to mention the swords are point upward, as that’s the default position for swords paleways, but not wrong to do so.  At first glance, I’d say the white thing on the fess is a bar ("...on a fess Purpure…a bar Argent.")

BUT:  We are deceived by the fact that Cory has used two different colors to represent Argent (rap on the knuckles!).  This is actually "Argent two bars Purpure between…" and either the shield should be white or the white area on the center should be silver—one or the other, not both.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 December 2006 08:56

Great… thanks Joe. I’m happy I’m getting better… it is seriously like learning another language all together… wink

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Joined  30-04-2004

21 December 2006 10:12

Not gaelige though… thats easy.

The difference in the color of the Argent does not show up on my monitor… Its an old cruddy laptop sorry. But I did want it to resemble the actual color of silver so I made it off white.

Thank you for your help in the blazon.

Nolloig shona dhuit.

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Joined  30-04-2004

21 December 2006 10:18

How would one mention the ears in the heraldic lingo?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 December 2006 02:17

I don’t know Cory… sorry. :(

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

22 December 2006 16:17

CoryLymanMcHenry wrote:

How would one mention the ears in the heraldic lingo?

a.  A griffon’s head erased Gules, ears Or.

b.  A griffon’s head erased Gules, ears and ear tufts Or.

c.  A griffon’s head erased Gules, as is in the margin more clearly depicted  :D

—Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

22 December 2006 19:05

If the intent is (as it should be) to create a lasting design for the generations, forget about the mantling & other "artistic license" stuff for now.  Focus on the basic shield & crest, & strive for something that feels right however its depicted (assuming the artists are competent).  Get the blueprint right; then you can arrange and rearrange the furniture and the garden (the additaments) whenever the mood strikes your or your grandkids.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 December 2006 23:11

Guy Power wrote:

d. Whatever Joe MacMillan says…. do it! :D

Ah… the power!  But… the pressure…no I can’t take it!

(I’m sure there must be some really obscure Anglo-Norman word that no one will understand without looking it up, but I’d just say "ears Or" or "eared Or.")

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

23 December 2006 03:18

Joseph McMillan wrote:

...there must be some really obscure Anglo-Norman word that no one will understand without looking it up, but I’d just say "ears Or" or "eared Or.")

Lugged Or?  :D

—Guy

CoryLymanMcHenry

CoryLymanMcHenry
Joined  30-04-2004

23 December 2006 13:49

You gents are funny people LOL grin Sounds good to me. Yeah I origionaly did her arms as just shield and crest but it turned out like this… this was just so she could see the design in progress. Thank you all gentleman.