Charges Needed

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

27 December 2006 22:41

1. Besides books and lamps, what charges are symbolic of the art, science, and/or profession of teaching?

2. What charges are symbolic of mathematics?

3. What charges are symbolic of community?

Traditional charges are preferred, but whatever you come up with will be helpful.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

27 December 2006 23:37

1. Hmm….quills, compass, armillary sphere (i hope that is what it is properly called, you know, like in the flag of Portugal).

2. symbolic of mathematics? I dunno, Im guessing geometric shapes, numerals, the "pi" symbol

3.  Community? Do you mean as in unity, or as in civic government? For unity, I’d choose something joined together. My natural choice would have been a fasces but unfortunately, that emblem like the swastika, is "guilty by association". As for civic, i’d say a mural crown, laurel wreath, or the word liberty in latin or indeginous language.

hope I was of help!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 December 2006 01:13

Off the top of my head ...

Art: quill and or pencil and or plate and or brush (mostly brush)

Science: Atom or molecule

Math: ??? I have no idea

Teaching: ??? maybe a scroll???

Community: usually a knot of some kind (together it is strong and one sort of thing)

As for the art theme, Daniel de Bruin (Heraldic Ermine) has the best symbol for art on his website you should see it of course he is simply a master and my personal favorite master of the heraldic arts. There’s also another fella … I can’t remember his name, but he uses a bull holding either a paintbrush or a pencil and it is really quite clever as well… I think he can be found at the society for heraldic artists website …

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

28 December 2006 10:39

Denny,

You misunderstood.smile  I said, "the art, science, and profession of teaching…"  I need charges that are indicative of teaching and learning, not art and artists.

Got any other ideas?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 December 2006 10:47

LOL. OK OK.

didn’t the teachers of long ago wear specific headgear? i’d check into that and then see if a charge can be made of that. for example there are cases of Catholic ecclesiastical headgear (galero and mitre) being born in the arms of people who are not Catholic ecclesiastics nor Catholic for that matter. so, if there is such a hat and you can make a charge out of it… go for that. now that would be "tradition".

as you can tell, i am stretching a bit as i can’t think of anything else off hand…

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

28 December 2006 10:48

something akin to the Olympic Rings is also symbolic of community without any negative connotations, or any other item balanced in group and form should be symbolic of onesness

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

28 December 2006 15:52

Trent,

These are the charges that come to mind for me:

1. Teaching - scroll, quill, compass rose

2. Mathematics - slide rule, abacus, PI (π), Sigma (Σ)

3. Community - laurel wreath, fasces, chief, bordure

I think the symbolism behind the scroll and quill is obvious. The compass rose signifies one pointing another in the right direction. The slide rule and abacus are old calculators. π is the ultimate mathematical symbol and Σ represents mathematical summation. The laurel wreath was presented and worn by a champion of the people while the fasces is a pictoral representation of e pluribus unum (out of many, one), or strength in unity. A chief could represent a "binding force overall" and a bordure encompasses all within.

Just my 2¢.

Take care,

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

29 December 2006 12:34

If you want to go a little more abstract, consider the sun (enlightenment) breaking through clouds (ignorance).

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

29 December 2006 14:08

These are all good ideas.  Keep them coming please.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

30 December 2006 01:15

A possibility if you want a classical reference is a centaur, for Chiron.

An owl as a general symbol of wisdom is another possibility.

James

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

30 December 2006 13:17

I believe the shepherd’s crook is a symbol for wisdom… perhaps also scales, but that’s more like judgment.

Also, you might consider the Griffin, "Gryphus significat sapientiam jungendam fortitudini, sed sapientiam debere praeire, fortitudinem sequi."  "Griffins signify wisdom joined with fortitude, but wisdom should lead fortitude to follow."

Or, if you just want the wisdom go with the eagle…