Heraldic Software that Emblazons

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

19 December 2006 13:48

I found this website, Parentele.com, that advertises a heraldic software package that emblazons arms.  It’s called Blazons.  The packaging of the box it comes it is blue.  The screen shots look decent.  The problem is I can’t seem to get a response from the company on the product, which is made by a software company called Allysd.  Both companies are French.

Has anyone purchased this?  Does anyone know about it?  Are there any other programs out there like this one?

I have found Blazon95 and BLAZONS on the internet.  I have copies of both of these.  The first requires one to type in a blazon and then it emblazons the arms, and the second lets one emblazon the arms first then it produces the blazon.  BLAZONS won’t let me import other charges and it only save files in its file format.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

02 January 2007 10:20

Why is there dead silence on this issue?

I’ve searched a few threads on this and no one seems willing to talk about it in detail.  It’s mentioned in passing, then dropped.

It’s hard to imagine that almost no one here has any interest in or experience with software that emblazons.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to have FAQ page devoted to the technology used in personally producing arms: graphics programs, file types, scanners, etc.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

02 January 2007 11:44

there is software that people use, but i am not a computer kinda guy despite working as an online customer service agent and spending much time here. i can recall Corel Draw being mentioned as well as Adobe Photoshop. but as to specifics, i personally have no idea whatsoever ... or else i’d use it alongside my free-hand rendered heraldic art. sorry i couldn’t be of more help, but i just don’t know much about all of this…

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

02 January 2007 11:53

Trent:

Just based on my own experience, the silence may be based on the fact that most people simply have not used blazoning software or have had bad experiences. Software has a hard time dealing with complex COAs, and does not leave much room for creative license.  Ultimately I decided to invest my money in heraldic clip art.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

02 January 2007 13:12

Trent,

I have not used the program from Parentele.com, but looking at the screenshots, it looks like fun but nothing I would use. I have used Blazons95! in the past and, while fun, it is extremely limited. I prefer to use modified heraldic clipart with MS Paint and PaintShop Pro for emblazoning. It is my personal opinion that the (em)blazoning programs out there, such as the ones you list, are just a waste of HD space.

Take care,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

02 January 2007 21:30

Thanks guys.

That clears up a lot.  If you do hear of anything that I have not come across, let me know.

Again thanks for getting back to me on it.

Do you know of any other Heraldic Clipart companies other than AG?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

02 January 2007 21:43

there is a free heraldry clipart website ... i just can’t remember their name or URL right now. but it is out there. i don’t know if you can use it in these programs, but it is freeware i believe… the others would know better i think.

also the good Doctor Stewart once sent a hyperlink to the Scottish Heraldry Society (name right?) on this topic and it was an excellent thread with much info. i will see if i can find it in my documents and send it to you ... if not it should be searchable here under one of the threads i started, as i had some of the same question that you have on it ...

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

04 January 2007 15:41

Donnchadh wrote:

there is a free heraldry clipart website ... i just can’t remember their name or URL right now. but it is out there.

This is it:

http://www.heraldicclipart.com/catalog/index1.html

Take care,