Joined  01-11-2006

10 January 2007 16:27

Sweet!  How did you do that?

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

10 January 2007 16:34

Many, many layers my friend, it almost gets confusing even when you do label them:)

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

10 January 2007 18:27

.........................removed pic

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

10 January 2007 23:30

o.k., here it be. The helm took awhile because I had to create all those little chain links:hypno:

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

10 January 2007 23:41

I have to quote Napoleon Dynamite:

Flippin’ Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! So, you gonna email them to me, or will u just give them to the board to add on member’s arms pages?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 00:32

Chapulin wrote:

o.k., here it be. The helm took awhile because I had to create all those little chain links

Chap,

That is a very impressive emblazon—the maille looks fantastic.

—Guy

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

11 January 2007 00:37

Guy Power wrote:

Chap,

That is a very impressive emblazon—the maille looks fantastic.

—Guy

Ahhhhh!!!!, Thats what you call it… Thanks :grin:

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

11 January 2007 07:34

I actually make maille.  I completed a hauberk for myself a little more than a year and half ago.  It was made with 17 gauge steel wire with an inner diameter of 3/16".  I’ll have to post a pic of it when I can.  Total weighs is somewhere around 18-20 pounds, and fits perfectly.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

11 January 2007 09:43

Chap,

Again, great job.

Can you do one with the helmet facing front?

And were the sides on those helmets traditionally made of chain maille?  I ask because I recall a version of Mohammed’s helmet that looked solid with a red interior.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

11 January 2007 11:22

Trent wrote:

And were the sides on those helmets traditionally made of chain maille? I ask because I recall a version of Mohammed’s helmet that looked solid with a red interior.

I believe so, the only reference I found was a painting of a mameluke knight with the same.

I could face the helm front but I’m on to my next client…...smile

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

11 January 2007 15:22

o.k., I wasn’t ready to let go.:banghead:

I think the portrait style gives it more of a bang, No?

Sorry, but I’m developing here. I think I will call it “Digital portrait renderings” what do ya think?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 16:08

Chap,

At first glance that looks like it could have been painted in gouache on cold-pressed paper!

Most excellent!

—Guy

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

11 January 2007 16:11

Guy Power wrote:

Chap,

At first glance that looks like it could have been painted in gouache on cold-pressed paper!

Most excellent!

—Guy

Cool!!, did the second glance reveal something that I need to address?, Other then its not gouache I mean.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

11 January 2007 16:22

ok, I want one!  That’s frame-able right there!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 January 2007 17:39

Chap, the only thing I have a problem with, and it is a slight one, is that the helmet appears to be in suspended animation. It does not appear to be sitting on top of the shield, as other helms we see, and this is because of the maille (sp?). It is not solid and as we can see through it, well, it looks like it is floating above the shield too much. It is not anchored to the shield by the sheer weight of the thickness of the helmet as in the European helmets.

One way to fix that would be to lower the helmet on the shield; problem there is it would begin to cover the charges too much I think.

The other way to fix it would be to attach a strap from the back of the shield to inside the helmet somewhere, as other artists do quite often - Laurent Granier comes to mind. This way it would make the achievement appear to be grounded in that the helmet is not ‘floating’ above the shield.

Do you know what I mean?

Also, I love the painted version best of all! Guy is right about it. It ‘looks’ like a fine gouache painting. I would only recommend a lighter shade on the canvas; perhaps something in an off-white color, as in a real canvas. Then I think it will look exactly like a gouache painting in every way a graphical print can! It is excellent the way it is, but tweak it a bit and it will be nearly perfect!

P.S. kudos on the watermark! You must have one these days. Trust me I know, as a fellow student swiped mine some time ago from here no less … of course I’m not supposed to talk about it as I signed a “confidentiality clause’ when signing up at school, but frankly, today … I really don’t give a damn… anyway good idea to protect your work, as there are many who would swipe it!