Bulk of Arms Completed

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

16 January 2007 08:14

ESmith wrote:

No reason why not, the more traditional approach is to have them hold a staff with a flag of your arms… a la Mr Bradley

Okay, but that does kind of seem like your doubling up. I could be wrong, but isn’t the shield bearing your arms one of the most essential pieces of the whole thing? I guess I’m saying it’s not like the shield isn’t going to be there, so you place the arms on a flag instead.

Hmm, I think I’m going to experiment with a pennented motto, then. Or I might try my hand at a sable banner bearing a single argent cross fleury.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

16 January 2007 09:41

Linusboarder wrote:

Mr. Brady might be upset that Mr. Bradly Usurped his arms wink

sorry… typo

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

16 January 2007 09:44

loaba wrote:

Oh yeah, I want the rat to be exactly as depicted.

and set as a crest, on a wreath Or and Vert, armed and langued Gules a demi-rat rampant Sable

^Where does this go in relation to my shield blazon?

Edit: answered my own question…

Blazon of Arms

Vert on a bend Or a bendlet Sable charged with six crosses fleury palewise Argent.

Blazon of Crest

A demi rat rampant Sable armed and langued Gules on a wreath Or and Vert.

Have I ordered/worded the crest blazon corectly?

You can put it all in one sentence:

Vert, on a bend Or a bendlet Sable, charged with six crosses fleury palewise Argent and set for a crest, on a wreath Or and Vert, a demi-Rat rampant Sable, armed and langued Gules.

The commas might be misplaced or superfluous, but I think all the words are in the right order…

Could anyone tell me the technical difference between a "cross fleury" and a "cross flory"...

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

16 January 2007 11:39

ESmith wrote:

The commas might be ...superfluous

Vert on a bend Or a bendlet Sable charged with six crosses fleury palewise Argent. Above the shield is placed an Helmet befitting his degree with a Mantling Vert doubled Or, and on a Wreath of the Liveries is set for Crest a demi-Rat rampant Sable armed and langued Gules, and in an escrol this Motto "WHY, YOU DIRTY RAT!!"

ESmith wrote:

Could anyone tell me the technical difference between a "cross fleury" and a "cross flory"...

different words for the same charge.  Wiki says this is also called a cross flourished.

—Guy

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 January 2007 11:46

"An helm befitting his degree?"  Where are we, Guy, strolling through Princes Street Gardens?  Having a dram in the Caledonian Club? :p

It makes more sense to me for American armigers to simply blazon their arms as—-

"Shield:  Tincture a thingy tincture.

Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a thingy tincture.

Motto:  Pious sentiment."

No need to mention helm, or mantling either, unless it’s something other than first color lined with first metal.

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

16 January 2007 12:05

Totally agree with Joseph.

Helm or mantling shouldn’t be part of the blazon.

If you like a particular type of helm or mantling (and it doesn’t have a particular meaning) you always can set that preference when commissioning your arms with any particular heraldic artist…

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

16 January 2007 13:21

I don’t know, I kind of like that saying.  Even tho we don’t have "degree" in America, I think it lends to the historical feeling of heraldry.  But like I said before, I’m just a hopeless romantic…:rolleyes:

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

16 January 2007 13:21

On the subject of mottos, I’m thinking that Guy’s selection, while appealing funny, isn’t quite what I am after. Anyone have a latin translation for "do it till it’s done right"? I just think that really shows my devotion to perfection, even though I rarely, if ever, attain it.

About the blazon; I can part it out or run it together? I think I like mashing it all together then.

I’m thinking I want everthing in the piece to be connected, so I’m really considering have the rat bear a standard with my motto.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

16 January 2007 13:26

"Operor is insquequo is est perfectus vox"

I pulled that from here http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Latin

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

16 January 2007 13:56

loaba wrote:

On the subject of mottos, I’m thinking that Guy’s selection, while appealing funny, isn’t quite what I am after. Anyone have a latin translation for "do it till it’s done right"? I just think that really shows my devotion to perfection, even though I rarely, if ever, attain it.

Why Latin, it looks good in English too

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

16 January 2007 14:44

Joseph McMillan wrote:

"An helm befitting his degree?"  Where are we, Guy, strolling through Princes Street Gardens?  Having a dram in the Caledonian Club? :p

Joe, I also say "an historic…" in my daily conversation—that is how I was taught.  I use "an Helmet" because it looks good on a Letters Patent, as does "shewn".  :D

I do not say an house or an hospital .... that would be an horrible affectation!

LOL

—Guy

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

16 January 2007 15:11

Joseph McMillan wrote:

It makes more sense to me for American armigers to simply blazon their arms as—-

"Shield:  Tincture a thingy tincture.

Crest:  On a wreath of the colors a thingy tincture.

Motto:  Pious sentiment."

Technical terms? 8)

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

16 January 2007 15:13

Andrew.

I am sorry to say this but if I remember some of Latin from school (secondary and college) something is not right in the translation . I’ll ask some friends…

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

16 January 2007 15:48

That’s the Internet for you!  :mullet:

I wonder if one of the Good Fathers will weigh in on this one, all I remember from Latin is who the teacher was.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 January 2007 15:53

Guy Power wrote:

Joe, I also say "an historic…" in my daily conversation—that is how I was taught. I use "an Helmet" because it looks good on a Letters Patent, as does "shewn". :D

I do not say an house or an hospital .... that would be an horrible affectation!

LOL

—Guy

It wasn’t "an" I had a problem with; it was "befitting his degree."  Are you channeling Thomas Innes of Learney out there on the left coast?