26th Cavalry (PS)

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

09 January 2007 15:54

This is the CoA approved in 1924 for the 26th Cavalry (Philippine Scouts).

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/7750/26th03coa.jpg

Motto: Our strength is in loyalty.

The sun is a Philippino symbol and the crest denotes the cavalry aspect. In 1941-42 the 26th Cavalry was the last of any American Cavalry Regiment to fight on horseback.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

12 January 2007 12:51

Marcus K wrote:

This is the CoA approved in 1924 for the 26th Cavalry (Philippine Scouts).

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/7750/26th03coa.jpg

Motto: Our strength is in loyalty.

The sun is a Philippino symbol and the crest denotes the cavalry aspect. In 1941-42 the 26th Cavalry was the last of any American Cavalry Regiment to fight on horseback.

But if I am correct Special Forces have fought on horseback later.  Is this correct?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 January 2007 12:57

Yes, in Afghanistan, although as advisers to Northern Alliance forces, not as specific US unit.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

13 January 2007 13:24

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Yes, in Afghanistan, although as advisers to Northern Alliance forces, not as specific US unit.

Thanks for this confirmation.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

15 January 2007 19:49

Is there a blazon listed for the crest? That seems a difficult image to dictate.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

16 January 2007 06:15

arriano wrote:

Is there a blazon listed for the crest? That seems a difficult image to dictate.

Yes here it comes, from http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/7750/26thcav.html :

BLAZONRY

Shield -

Azure a sun in splendor with 12 wavy rays or.

Crest -

On a wreath of the colors a black horse’s head charging erased at the neck bridled and a dexter cubit arm raised erased habited olive drab the hand grasping a saber at the charge all proper.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

16 January 2007 11:44

Marcus K wrote:

Crest -

On a wreath of the colors a black horse’s head charging erased at the neck bridled and a dexter cubit arm raised erased habited olive drab the hand grasping a saber at the charge all proper.

Wow, that IS a mouthful.

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

18 January 2007 23:08

June 16, 1942, then Lt. Edwin Price Ramsey, of G Troop, 26th Regt.; TAD to E Troop; led the last mounted U.S. horse cavalry charge into history at the Battle of Moron (Morong), Bataan, P.I.; against Japanese infantry and artillery (mortars). His then mount was, "Bryn Awryn". LtCol. Ramsey lives in Los Angeles, Calif. Menandro B. Parazo of El Paso, Texas, is president of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society. I met LtCol. Ramsey at our U.S. Horse Cavalry Assn. meeting. I especially enjoyed the real "Buffalo Soldier" members. As a child at the defunct Watchung Military Reservation, I use to ride former N.J.N.G. Essex Troop mounts, still with Essex Troop saddles; even locked racks of .03 rifles were then still there, un-used. My favorite mount was ol’ "Lookout", R.I.P. Alas, I was never a "yellow leg" my self, nor even a good horseman. Hope this adds a little history to your subject matter? One of the ol’ troopers asked if I knew the warning signal for "enemy aircraft aloft"? I didn’t. He said you remove your campaign hat, point it towards the aircraft, back’n forth, three times; and disperse. "There’s nothing a cavalryman do against aircraft aloft". Oh, and Lt. Malecki of the WWII Polish Lancers who seemingly led a horse-mounted charge against German tanks! It wasn’t as silly as it seems. Allegedly the German tanks were on one side of a hill, and the lancers on the other side; but both could see a field at one end, with German infantry emerging from the woods into the field. It was against the German infantry in the clearing that Malecki led his traditional cavalry charge. The tanks went to aid there infantry, and it was sort of an accidental collision, tanks and horse gone awry. But then, the Chinese play their version of chess, with both cavalry and tanks.  Or, so I was told? Jim/focusoninfinity, Southport, North Carolina.