Augustan Society

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

21 January 2007 00:02

Does anyone know anything about the Augustan Society.  I’ve never heard of them before and their web page seems a little cookie-cutter-ish…. Just curious mostly, is it worth my money to invest and pursue further? That sort of thing… :yoda:

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

21 January 2007 00:13

I don’t know much about them, but I think some members of the Society have had their arms registered with them. They don’t seem to be much active anymore. I’ve tried several times over the last few years to contact them (via e-mail, post, etc.) with no success. Some others may have had more positive (or any) interactions with them.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

21 January 2007 00:55

Rodney Hartwell was the founder and was very knowledgeable, and also very enthusiastic about the society.  Unfortunately, he passed away early last year, as I recall, after a year or two of illness.  He did much of the work himself, and when he was ill, it suffered.

He assisted me greatly when I became interested in things chivalric, putting me in touch with Guy Stair Sainty regarding the MVOSJ.

I suspect they are trying to pick up the pieces under new leadership.

Regards,

/Charles

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

22 January 2007 14:47

About twenty years ago the society supposedly published my Yonge ancestor’s CoA for me in a book; but I never saw the book?  It seemed a fine organization two decades ago.

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

22 January 2007 19:19

Perhaps it is worthwhile to reach out to them at the organizational level. I don’t have anything specific in mind. I was just thinking that if the Augustan Society organization is recovering from a great loss, and the AHS is still young, perhaps some cooperation would be mutually beneficial.

Clearly the Augustan Society has assets that it may not wish to share. It is not my intent that the AHS impose upon them. I am merely suggesting a collaboration of of some sort.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 January 2007 20:32

Answered in the members only section.

Bruce Metcalf

Bruce Metcalf
Total Posts:  1
Joined  23-01-2007

24 January 2007 00:00

A fellow Augustan alerted me to this discussion, and I am happy to report that the Augustan Society is indeed still alive, if less active than before. We are indeed working hard to recover from the loss of our founding director, Sir Rodney Hartwell.

New management has been selected, and discussions are in progress to secure their services and to transfer materials and authority to them. It is intended that all former activities of the Society will be resumed as time, volunteers, and finances permit. New programs, including several concerning heraldry, are already being discussed.

As this change will involve a relocation of Society headquarters away from its present location in Daggett, California, there may be a delay of a month or two before a formal announcement can be made. I shall post one here as soon as I am able.

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

24 January 2007 01:26

Mr. Metcalf,

Thank you for updating us. Please keep in touch.

Dave Shorey

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

29 January 2007 19:29

I have a friend in Los Angeles who at one time was a regular user of their excellent library. According to him their move from a convenient location out into the desert hurt the organisation. Hopefully the society’s move to a new site will make the collection more accessible to heraldic researchers.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

27 August 2009 00:40

I had opportunity to attend the annual meeting of the Augustan Society this past weekend. Much has been accomplished toward the recovery of the society following the death of its founder, Rodney Hartwell.

It is evident they are responding to queries about arms and are actively assisting with their registration once again.

I believe the qualifier found in the "grants and registrations" section of the AHS website:

Quote:

Note: According to a communication from its business agent, the Augustan Society is in the process of reorganizing its work following the death of its founder and longtime president. There may therefore be some delays in responses to inquiries about heraldic registration.

should now be removed.

/Charles

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 August 2009 06:58

Charles E. Drake;71281 wrote:

I believe the qualifier found in the "grants and registrations" section of the AHS website should now be removed.

Done.