Army Institute of Heraldry

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

28 January 2007 00:29

Does anyone know why the Army Institute of Heraldry‘s coat of arms has a label… who’s kid are they?  I guess I’d also like to know who the shield belonged to before it was differenced…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Horatio86/IOHCOA.png

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 January 2007 00:37

It’s just a charge (you knew that, of course).  But seriously, not all labels are for cadency.  There are examples of early arms where a label is the only charge.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

28 January 2007 00:37

Everett,

From what I recall of the Instititute’s symbolism pamphlet, the label is not there as a mark of cadency. Instead, it is meant to represent the Army’s and the Institute’s subordinance to one government with three branches. So it’s a sort of visual allusion.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

28 January 2007 11:08

Okay… those make sense… Its a rather excellent example of American heraldry

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

28 January 2007 15:56

I guess the next question is: what’s the symbolism of the charges used?  Especially the Griffin crest (I’m partial to those wink ) and the rose.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

28 January 2007 16:05

Joseph McMillan wrote:

It’s just a charge (you knew that, of course).  But seriously, not all labels are for cadency.  There are examples of early arms where a label is the only charge.

And at that remote period, there are some examples of labels we would find quite eccentric today, such as labels in bend, or labels where the "drops" depend from the chief.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

28 January 2007 19:11

ESmith wrote:

I guess the next question is: what’s the symbolism of the charges used?  Especially the Griffin crest (I’m partial to those wink ) and the rose.

Again, from what I remember, the griffin is the traditional protector of treasure in mythology. As the only heraldic authority in the country, the Institute considers itself the protector of the treasure that is American heraldry. Also, I think it is meant to symbolize the English influence (the lion) on American heraldry (the eagle) through the hybrid griffin. The rose is also meant to symbolize English tradition and influence if memory serves correctly.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

28 January 2007 20:52

All you ever wanted to know about the Army Institute of Heraldry’s Coat of Arms:

TIOH wrote:

Blazon:

Shield: Or a chevron Gules, on a chief Sable a label of the first.

Crest: On a wreath Or and Gules, a griffin rampant of the first.

Banners: Flanking the crest two banners, the staffs Light Brown with Silver finials and ferrules passing behind the shield and extending below the motto scroll, the dexter banner Or bordered compony of the like and Azure, charged with a mullet of the last voided Argent, the sinister banner Or bordered compony of the like and Gules, charged with a Tudor Rose barb and seeded Vert.

Scroll: Or lined Sable with lettering of the last.

Motto: AEGIS FORTISSIMA HONOS (Honor is the Strongest Shield)

Symbolism:

Shield: The red chevron refers to the military (armed services) which supports and is under the civil jurisdiction of the federal government represented by the label, the three points alluding to the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches. The label also is indicative of The Institute of Heraldry being the direct descendant (offspring) of the heraldic activity initially created in 1919 under The General Staff, United States Army, in 1924 transferred to the Quartermaster General and in 1962 reassigned to The Adjutant General. Furthermore, the label alludes to The Institute of Heraldry as being the only heraldic activity in the United States which is officially comparable to the heraldic institutions of the Old World and which continues the art and science of heraldry under its long established traditional and historic rules.

Crest: The griffin, a fabulous animal half eagle and half lion, is symbolic of wisdom and inspiration. The role of the griffin as guardian of treasure is symbolic of the Institute’s singular responsibility to safeguard the heraldic art of the federal government. The eagle also alludes to the United States and the lion to Great Britain, the major source of our language, laws and heraldic knowledge.

Banners:

Dexter:  The large white star (heraldic mullet) edged with blue symbolizes all the States, which comprise the United States, and was suggested by the union of the United States Flag.

Sinister: The red and white (Tudor) heraldic rose alludes to the first and permanent colonization of America by the English under the Tudors.

Colors: Gold is symbolic of achievement and honor, red of zeal, and black of jurisprudence and knowledge.

Source: press here