Tough Decision

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

03 February 2007 04:30

As per your request, I give you MHO:  Determine what you would be willing to spend on such a grant/registration, save up that amount, and donate it to the charity/charities of your choice.  Trust me, you will get back a whole lot more joy and satisfaction by doing that than you ever would by spending that much money on another piece of paper/parchment which would say, "I’ve got a coat of arms—again!".  Even if you spent all that money on, say, an obscenely luxurious wooden deck, then you’d still get a lot more use out of that than you would out of what would only amount to be another rendering—especally since it would almost certainly be a rendering of a completely different CoA.  Is that what you really want?

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

03 February 2007 08:18

Stephen- Point taken.  This was more than just having another CoA tho.  It was a connection to ancestral "homeland" you could say.  That, and as I said above, this has been an ongoing quest for a few years.  But I agree, there’s not much point to going thru any additional expenses for something that 1.) I won’t be happy with and 2.)doesn’t provide any additional legal protection.  I’ll also freely admit that the chances of visiting this country are slim.

I would be open to altering the blazon of my arms if it would be the consensus of members here, but only so long as the emblazon would still have the same (general) appearance.  I did propose Joe’s option of palewise and fesswise to my friend who’s exploring this for me and he thought it was a clever idea.  I don’t know what the proper blazon would be tho.  Any takers?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

03 February 2007 09:58

I’m not sure you understood me—I wasn’t suggesting that blazoning the arms differently ("parted per pale and per fess") was adequate to get around the problem presented by having arms parted quarterly.  I hope I didn’t leave that impression.

I was suggesting either something like either "per fess wavy and per pale" or "per pale indented and per fess."  Or alternatively, "Quarterly ... [arms as currently designed]... over all a fess Azure" or "... over all on a chief Gules a something" or even something as unobtrusive as "over all a fillet cross counterchanged."

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

03 February 2007 11:59

How would this do?

Or a fillet cross sable throughout between in the 1st and 4th quarters an Eagle displayed sable and in the 2nd and 3rd quarters two latin crosses in chief and a fleur dis les in base all sable.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

03 February 2007 12:54

OK, I’ve made up my mind for the final time.  My blazon stays as is.  I appreciate all the feedback that I’ve received and the alternate suggestions, but I’m proud of my arms and even more so of what they represent.  They are laid out according to matter of importance to me and I am proud to bear them.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

08 February 2007 12:22

Good choice, my fellow man!  Altering one’s arms just to please a heraldic authority, to me at least, is the same as altering one’s face just to get someone to date him/her.  Neither is worth it, my friend, and I think that you are wise to not alter yours.