Designing my own Coat of Arms

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

11 February 2007 12:27

Hello!

I have decided to try and undertake the designing of my own Coat of Arms. I am aware, from doing some casual reading on various heraldry related websites, both personal websites and organizational websites, that simply because my last name is Mosteller, that I shouldn’t simply resort to using a Coat of Arms listed for the Mosteller surname from various Coats of Arms sources.

I don’t have a problem with that, at all. Heck, I don’t even know those long-dead Mosteller people or person. I don’t know what anything contained on their Coat of Arms symbolized to them, either. Plus, from the standpoint of aesthetics, I think that the Mosteller Coats of Arms that I have encountered from such sources is just plain ugly.

What I ultimately want is a Coat of Arms that I like, and which I am satisfied with. Now, whether that means a full Achievement with supporters or without, or whether it adheres scrupulously to every rule and fine point of "traditional heraldry," or whether there are specific instances in which I choose to depart from such a multitude of traditions, I am flexible either way.

One "rule" of my own creation, to which I do what to adhere in the design process, however, is that, I want each aspect and item of my Coat of Arms or Achievement to have some symbolic value to me.

My current interest in designing a Coat of Arms for myself has nothing, whatsoever, to do with an interest in genealogy and in tracing my family tree to ancient ancestors. Rather, I was going to buy some of those "welcome flags," or whatever they are called, to hang from the front of the home, and a lot of the "welcome flags" that they sell at Wal-Mart or at various craft shops, such as Michael’s, are too cheesy looking for my taste buds. Granted, my own Coat of Arms displayed on a "welcome flag" may seem cheesy to to some, but at least it will be a flavor of "cheese" that I like.

After all, a man’s home is his castle, isn’t it? And if so, then what does it hurt to hoist some colorful colors?

Most things in life, even things that some might consider to be accomplishments of note, I really am not persuaded that I want to symbolize in my Coat of Arms. The three primary things that I want to symbolize and to pay tribute to, in some form or other, are:

1. My son

2. My wife

3. The fact that I am an American.

I am unabashedly an American, and accordingly, the color scheme that I prefer is one that is predominantly comprised of red, white, and blue.

My son’s name is Titan (from the titans of mythology). I had considered incorporating a figure of Atlas in the role as either one of the supporter, or as supporters on both sides of the shield. I am well aware that many associate supporters to nobility, and I respect that and understand where you are coming from on that angle. I am open to suggestions and advice for symbolizing my son’s name on my Coat of Arms in other ways.

The Atlas figure is probably not a traditional symbol used in Coats of Arms. That is purely a guess on my part, but normally when I browse Coats of Arms, I tend to see animals utilized as supporters.

My son was born on the Summer Solstice, which I understand to be the longest day of the year. As such, I felt that incorporating a sun as a charge on the shield, or even in the crest or above the crest, would be a good choice. Again, I am open to suggestions.

Some of the websites online that deal with heraldry display the Mosteller Coat of Arms as containing a lion rampant, if I am not mistaken. Yet, if I have no claim to a Coat of Arms based upon my surname, then should I disregard those Coats of Arms that I come across that have a lion rampant on them? Or, should I difference the lion to another shape or type?

For a shield type, I favor what I call an American shield, though I don’t actually know the proper name for that shield type.

Do I need to include a helmet of some type? Or can I fore go that? I am not a knight, after all.

At any rate, thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions or input that you may each, respectively, be able and willing to offer.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

11 February 2007 14:35

Guy Power wrote:

Well then Charles ... for that matter, you don’t need a shield either—using your logic.  wink  Actually, no: you do not need to display a helmet, though it would be nice to place your crest upon the helm—that is, if you want a crest as well as a shield.

I wasn’t trying to use logic. I was merely wondering whether the helmet/helm was mandatory or not, per the "traditional rules" of heraldry which some purport to advocate.

Guy Power wrote:

You have done some basic heraldic research and seem to know in which direction you wish to procede.  Though, I’m not sure how you are going to symbolize your wife and son—I would discourage depicting them upon the shield; rather, perhaps use a star (wife) and tree (son); or other personal symbols.

My son is the primary thing that I want to symbolize through my Coat of Arms. If I do a Coat of Arms, I would feel remiss to not incorporate symbolism that pertains to my wife, also.

If not depicted upon the shield, itself, then what would you suggest? Where would I symbolize them? Why a star and a tree?

Guy Power wrote:

A quick Google shows the Mosteller shield you mentioned is "Per bend Ermine and Ermines a lion rampant Or" and the name is Welsh.  Perhaps you would consider certain elemental designs of the "Mosteller" shield, e.g., "Per fess ermine and ermines a lion rampant Or" .... that is: keeping the same design, but dividing the shield horizonatally in the middle vice diagonally.

Isn’t ermine somehow or other associated with nobility, though?

Guy Power wrote:

Another thought with the "traditional" Mosteller shield using American colors (which colors are also French, English, and perhaps a host of other nations’ colors):

Granted, red, white, and blue are not found only in the American flag, but they are the three colors contained in the American flag.

Guy Power wrote:

"Per bend Gules and Azure a lion rampant Or" (diagonally divided red on upper, blue lower; a white lion); or per pale, per bend reversed, per pale indented; etc., etc., etc.

Why those, particularly, though? Is there a specific reason why I would want to consider one more than the other?

Guy Power wrote:

As you surmise—you needn’t maintian the "traditional" Mosteller shield, especially since you don’t know if you are descended from the line of that particular Mosteller.  Are there certain geometric designs, animals, or other "traditional" heraldic charges (symbols) of which you are particularly fond that you would consider for your shield.

There are lots of heraldic animals, as an example, that I like, but to incorporate many of them would be based purely upon aesthetic reasons alone. A Tiger was a school mascot, and it also has other symbolic value to me. If I understand correctly from prior casual research, a tiger should be either white or red in color, which is what, argent or gules?

Guy Power wrote:

We always recommend simplicity in design construction (recognizing that is the ideal which often is unattainable).

Regards,

—Guy

I don’t have a problem with simplicity in design construction, as long as it is a final design that I actually like. If not, then I am willing for the design to be more complex.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

11 February 2007 14:58

Perhaps you might include a globe or terrestrial sphere held up by a hand/arm/man perhaps in a similar arrangement to Mr Collins’ crest… it would allude to Atlas with out actually portraying him…

Also, a "sun in splendor" is a perfectly acceptable charge in a variety of circumstances and arrangements.  Perhaps something holding a sun, or a sun charged with something… (a star maybe for your American heritage)

There was a lengthy discussion about possible symbols for Americana at THIS thread.

It sounds like you have some idea of what you are looking for.  Welcome and I hope we can be of help.  I can’t wait to see a sketch!

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

11 February 2007 15:11

Charles Mosteller wrote:

Isn’t ermine somehow or other associated with nobility, though?

It can be, but as you will find in heraldry, for every example there is a counterexample.  By no means does ermine (or any of its subtle variations) have to equate with nobility.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

11 February 2007 15:13

*edited by member*

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

11 February 2007 15:27

Donnchadh wrote:

Finally the good Father Guy, a heraldic artist and designer, has an excellent set of ten questions for newcomers to heraldry interested in designing their own coat of arms. By answering these questions one begins to narrow down how all of the things one wants on their achievement and it really makes the whole thing come together. It is here in the archives somewhere…maybe I can look for it later after I spend some time with my family today or maybe someone else will know where to look exactly for them…or even have them…if all else fails PM Fr. Guy and I’m sure he’ll get back to you with it.

Quote:

1. What is your favorite color?

2. Are there colors that are significant to you because of ethnicity, nationality, geographic location, symbolic value?

3. Do you want these arms for yourself or your entire family?

4. Is there a particular person, ideal or event that you’d like to allude to in your arms?

5. Are you religious? If so, how may that come into play?

6. Are there significant saints or persons from the Bible, history or mythology with whom you have an affinity?

7. Are there any particular signs or symbols (i.e. a moon, a star, a cross, etc.) that you want to employ in your arms?

8. What’s your favorite animal/mythical creature?

I think it might be a little out dated and I amended it a bit myself, but that is a good base

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

11 February 2007 15:56

Charles, welcome to the group.

Guys (no, not Power and Selvester, but lower-case guys):  let’s keep in mind the policy stated on the front page of the forums under the heading "Heraldic Designs" in the "Open Discussion" area, which says:

"The use of the AHS Forum for extensive discussions working through the design is limited to AHS members and should be conducted in the section of the members’ area established for that purpose. Non-members may use this area to raise specific questions, but any exchanges concerning detailed design work should be pursued either by e-mail or using the personal messaging feature."

Those who wish to help Charles work through design options are encouraged to do so, but please take off-forum anything much more detailed than the exchanges that have already taken place.

Thanks very much.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

11 February 2007 16:45

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Those who wish to help Charles work through design options are encouraged to do so, but please take off-forum anything much more detailed than the exchanges that have already taken place.

Thanks very much.

Agreed… I think we’ve been tame so far but it was decided that specific design processes would wait until after membership… ‘tis a very narrow line we tred :yoda:

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

11 February 2007 18:34

Welcome to the board Charles.

I hope i don’t go into too much details, but let me just say that any symbolism in your arms, can be to your own liking. For example the elephant in my arms (see the avatar) is a symbol for strong steady perserverence, while others may use an elephant for an entirely different symbolism. So don’t think that specific symbols have specific meanings because they are important if they have meaning to you.

Also I suggest membership, it’s only $20 and a few reads through some of the posts here is worth that much alone. I am still a recent member (<1 year) and the $20 has paid itself over many times already.

As Joe said above, per society policy, we can’t get into too many design specifics but feel free to browse through the member pages (which are sadly out of date hint hint) and feel free to ask specific people about the design and symbolism in their arms.

Again, Welcome

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

11 February 2007 21:06

Charles,

First, let me welcome you to the AHS! :D

Second, let me encourage you to become a member. :hypno:

Third, THANK YOU, for doing a little research and not usurping the arms of someone else just because they have the same last name as you.

Fourth, as far as supporters are concerned, I would advise against them even though you do have the "right" to use them.

Fifth, there is nothing wrong with wanting to "hoist your own colors". I think that most of us here have at least entertained that idea once or twice and many actually do.

Sixth, I like the idea of using the sun as a charge as it would have a tripple meaning in your case. 1) You want to symbolize your sun, er, son (haha, how punny!) 2) Your son was born on the Summer Solstice (solstice being derived from the latin sol=sun and sistere=to stand still) 3) The name Titan was another name for Helios, the Greek sun-deity.

Seventh, there is nothing wrong with alluding to a potential ancestor’s arms as long as there is sufficient differencing (e.g., 2 or more differences). In fact, many here might urge you to do so.

Eighth, and finally, you may use or discard the helm at your choosing, however it is traditional to include a helm in a full achievement. The fact that you are not a knight only limits the properties of the helm that you use and not whether or not you incorporate one.

I hope this answered your questions sufficiently.

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 February 2007 00:25

*edited by member*

M85324

M85324
Total Posts:  11
Joined  06-11-2006

12 February 2007 01:59

I see the term "sun in splendour"  used. How does this differ from the term "sun in glory". In depiction are they the same or different. Does anyone know of other terms for the sun?

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

12 February 2007 02:33

I cannot comment on the origins of Mosteller as a surname (though it doesn’t look Welsh). However the arms

Per bend sinister Ermine and Ermines a lion rampant Or

are those of the Welsh family of Mostyn. Similar arms, usually guttee d’or and guttee de poix are used by Welsh Edward(e)s. Who, given the late use of patronymics in Wales may be closer relatives to the Mostyns than the surname suggests.

Assigning them to Mosteller may be the common bucket-shop practice of associating the surnames of families for whom they haven’t found arms with those of families of similar surname for which they have found arms.

A very quick search through the IGI suggests that Mosteller may have German origins (possibly Hesse).

James

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

12 February 2007 03:09

I am in full agreement that the surname Mosteller in German/Austrian in origin. The word Most means (apple) cider and the word Teller means plate/disk. Could this be an occupational name for a person who squeezed the (apple) cider?

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

12 February 2007 03:41

David Pritchard wrote:

I am in full agreement that the surname Mosteller in German/Austrian in origin. The word Most means (apple) cider and the word Teller means plate/disk. Could this be an occupational name for a person who squeezed the (apple) cider?

Which given the OP’s expressed preferences brings immediately to mind

Azure upon three plates as many apples Gules

James

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

12 February 2007 04:14

James Dempster wrote:

Which given the OP’s expressed preferences brings immediately to mind

Azure upon three plates as many apples Gules

James

I believe that the name actually refers to the apple cider press which has metal plates or disks within it rather than a plate upon which one serves food. Just the same your blazon is excellent and probably unique. By the way it the word plates in the blazon actually refers to roundels Argent rather than a dinner plate then it is better and more exact than I first thought