Blazon Check

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

14 February 2007 00:59

Click on the image below to enlarge it.

[IMG]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3206/newarmsnb0.th.jpg

Some of the charges are not exact—the flowers, lungfish.  I just want to make sure I have the grammar correct.

Shield:  Azure, on a pale Argent a fret couped Sable.

Crest: On a torse of the colors, a crescent of Apis bull horns Azure, within the crescent a Plate, on the Plate a lungfish tergiant counter-embowed, embowed, counter-embowed Sable, all between two Magnolia blossoms proper.

Badge: A winged-serpent torqued and debruised Azure, wings elevated and displayed Argent supporting a fret Sable.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

14 February 2007 01:01

Trent wrote:

Please check the blazon for this new design.

did you forget to finish the post?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

14 February 2007 01:14

Trent wrote:

Please check the blazon for this new design.

"Argent a polar bear in a snowstorm proper"

—Guy

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

14 February 2007 09:33

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Argent, a sheet freshly laundered proper

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

14 February 2007 10:27

Very funny Rand and Guy. smile

When you get chance, look again and let me know what I need to change.  You too Everett.  The image should be up now.

Thanks in advance.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 February 2007 11:01

Trent wrote:

Shield:  Azure, on a pale Argent a fret couped Sable.

Crest: On a torse of the colors, a crescent of Apis bull horns Azure, within the crescent a Plate, on the Plate a lungfish tergiant counter-embowed, embowed, counter-embowed Sable, all between two Magnolia blossoms proper.

Badge: A winged-serpent torqued and debruised Azure, wings elevated and displayed Argent supporting a fret Sable.

The Shield looks okay but the Crest needs some work… The general rule is to go from the bottom layer to the top, something like:

On a wreath (or torse) of the colors, on a plate Argent, a Lungfish tergiant (wavy/torqued?) Sable, all within a crescent of Apis bull horns Azure.

I suspect that the wavy bit is optional and artists preference but I don’t have much knowledge on blazoning creepy-crawlies…

And the badge needs to be specified as "Fieldless".  As in Fieldless, a winged-serpent…

Is this to replace your arms?  I really rather like the one you have in your avatar better.  If not, I like this one too, just not as much as your first.

good luck!

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 February 2007 11:14

I just noticed the flowers in the crest… so that makes it

On a wreath (or torse) of the colors, on a plate Argent, a Lungfish tergiant (wavy/torqued?) Sable, all within a crescent of Apis bull horns Azure all between two—- flowers Argent (or proper, whatever).

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

14 February 2007 11:36

Everett,

Thanks for the help.  What about the flowers in the crest?  I don’t think you included those.  Did I have that part of the blazon correct?

I wasn’t familiar with the term "fieldless."  I checked out a few Canadian badges which did not have fields.  They didn’t bother to mention the absence of a field, so I just went with that.

I really like the shield I’ve been using for the past few months.  I like the fact that the mascle in the fret does not approach the sides of the shield, that the fret is not "throughout", but I don’t know how to blazon that detail.  That’s a minor reason for considering a new device.

The colors of my avatar are symbolic in that they are the national colors of my father’s country, Uganda.  I have some misgivings about changing them, but I’ve started to feel that the colors and geometry are too aggressive/negative—red, black, and the large X of the fret.  It all seems to connote danger—in nature many poisonous animals are marked with those colors.  I may keep it as a corporate logo, however.

The colors of this new device are symbolic in three different ways—two states I’ve lived in and the colors of my tribe’s flag, which is also Azure, a pale Argent.  So I get more mileage out of them and the shield seems less complex in design.

I’ve been using the avatar space here as a fridge test.  It’s been about 4 or 5months.  I think it’s time to try a new device for at least as long.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

14 February 2007 12:21

Ooh..I really like the design. Though of course, being Egyptian, I am biased in favor of the Apis bull horns. wink

BTW, judging from your first arms, your father is from..Trinidad and Tobago?

I’m working on the shield btw, I will get it to you when I go home as I’m actually posting right now from my web page design class. (Don’t worry, I have finished all my work..I’m a good student:rolleyes:)

Cheers,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

14 February 2007 12:28

Mohamed,

Nice try but guess again.  I look forward to getting that shield, and thanks again for doing that.  If you have any suggestions about the blazon, let me know.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

14 February 2007 12:32

I give up, what is it??? Wait, it might be Egypt, our flag is currently red white and black horizontally, with the C-O-A in gold in the middle.

My only suggestion for the blazon would be regarding the crest. What is the idea behind including the plate argent?

Regards,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

14 February 2007 13:27

Mohamed,

I think the term Plate is what a white roundel is called.  That’s not an actual dish between the horns.

I chose a Plate just to repeat the colors of the shield in case I use the crest separately; and also because white is a good background for most any color charge.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

14 February 2007 14:38

Trent,

Arms: Azure, on a pale Argent, a fret couped Sable.

Crest: On a wreath Argent and Azure, charged on a plate between an Apis bull horn crescent Azure, a lungfish tergiant counter-embowed, embowed, counter-embowed Sable, the whole flanked at the sides with two Magnolia blossoms Proper.

I think your blazon of the arms is very good. The crest I believe is off a bit, hence my correction, and the badge I’m not sure.

Now I italicized the part I was unsure about in the crest, as I can’t see the image clearly to make this part of my blazon properly…in this case I’m going with what you wrote as I can’t see it to describe it.

Just a couple of points, and it is no hard and fast rule especially for non-British heraldry, but the wreath is generally metal then color not vice versa.

Also in Irish heraldry anyway, where there is a very, very large use of snakes, they are often described as either entwined or embowed or tongued or coiled etc. I am unaware of the term torqued. I don’t doubt it is real, I just never have heard of it before. So I’m afraid I can’t help with that part of the badge, but I think you’ve got the rest of it right for sure except that the supporting a fret might well be placed in the preceding part of the sentence.

Of course there are men here who are great at blazonry, like Dave and Hugh, who might correct anything I, or anyone, messed up above.

Also what issue are you having with image shack? They did change format a couple of weeks ago, but you can still adjust the size of the image as before. Let me know and I will help with that if at all possible.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 February 2007 14:45

Two things…

1. Yes a roundel Argent is called a "plate", much the same way that an roundel Or is called a "bezant" (I don’t think my spelling is correct there)

2. You don’t need to modify your current rendering to fit the rules of a blazon at all.  It is quite simple:

Per Saltier, Gules and Sable a Fret, the saltier Argent, the mascle Or.

I might have the terms wrong on how to show the particular colors of the fret but I know that simply blazoning a "fret" will give you the arrangement you have rendered here.

For more information on frets see Mr Parker’s page HERE.

Here’s an example from Parker.  The Harringtons of Essex.

http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/images/m275a.gif

Sable, a fret Or

You can also see the Spencer arms of the late Princess of Wales HERE

As you might have noticed I would strongly urge you to keep your current rendering.  I think it is much more unique and attractive and perfectly blazonable.  I might suggest a change in colors rather than a complete redesign if you are unhappy with it.

How ever you decided to go, good luck!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

14 February 2007 14:49

I agree Everett. I think your blazon of his arms is right on and I also don’t think it is a violation of the tincture rule at all. I also think his arms are attractive as is.

Parker’s is a great on line resource! I highly recommend it as well.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 February 2007 14:52

Donnchadh wrote:

I am unaware of the term torqued. I don’t doubt it is real, I just never have heard of it before.

Usually used to described the ‘S’ curve of a Dolphin Naiant or a Serpent "bowed-embowed".  So perhaps the proper term for Trent’s Crest is "double torqued" and "wreathed" or "coiled" is better for the badge… although that might render more like a serpent in anulo…