Heraldry Proficiency Program

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

15 February 2007 01:19

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere; if so, I apologize.  I was wondering what is the current status concerning the establishment of a curriculum for heraldic study and examinations within the Society.  Thank you!

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

15 February 2007 01:23

in this society there isn’t one… in The Heraldry Society, as in the one across the pond there is a rather extended examination process (which leads to post-nominal letters)... I remember someone around here going though it last year, but alas the name has left me.

more information on that program HERE

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

15 February 2007 01:29

It’s just that I noticed on the application page (and in some of the posts) that this was a program the Society hoped to offer at some point.  Just wondered about the status (still in development, dropped for lack of a second, so much to do and so little time, etc.).

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

15 February 2007 06:44

I think that at this time it’s still on the "We’d really like to get to this someday" list. Currently we’re looking at the possibly penultimate, final, final, final, "this is really final this time, guys" draft of our Code of Conduct or Best Heraldic Practices document. A major opus drafted by our Director of Education, Joseph McMillan, it will afford you with much interesting reading.

As I recall, our Secretary, Hugh Brady recently went through the first level of testing at The Heraldry Society and if memory serves (even a little bit) another of our ranks did as well. Canada also has a training program, IIRC, and someday, when time and interest permits, we may as well.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

15 February 2007 10:56

*edited by member*

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

15 February 2007 17:51

Jorge Rivera has also earned a pass on the elementary examination.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

15 February 2007 18:13

Forum participant Darren S. A. George has qualified for the designation Licentiate of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada (LRHSC). David Boven, if I remember correctly, has both the Elementary and Intermediate Certificates from the Heraldry Society (London).

I have earned the level one and level two certificates in heraldry from the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada and through the Heraldry Society (London), I have earned the Elementary Certificate. I will be taking the intermediate examination this Summer.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

15 February 2007 20:24

Is licentiate the top level? And congrats on your progress!

Nenad Jovanovich

Nenad Jovanovich
Total Posts:  408
Joined  24-12-2006

15 February 2007 20:47

And The International Association of Amateur Heralds (IAAH) has a Basic Heraldry Test…

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

15 February 2007 23:25

Patrick Williams wrote:

Is licentiate the top level? And congrats on your progress!

Licentiate is the highest level, see here for more information: http://www.heraldry.ca/top_en/top_exam.htm

Thank you.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

15 February 2007 23:54

*edited by member*

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

16 February 2007 00:08

Donnchadh wrote:

Nenad, I tried to become a member of the IAAH, but there was a problem with the website when I kept trying to sign up. I asked Dave for help and he recommended a man. I emailed him, but never heard back. Sad really, as the IAAH was highly recommended by others to join. If I had maybe looking into such a test there…

I was one of the co-founders of the organisation. It is unfortunate that it has slipped so much over the past few years. Oddly, the site makes no mention of any of the three co-founders (two of whom have left the IAAH) nor even the date when we formed the association.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

16 February 2007 01:25

Timing is everything.  Wish I’d known that an hour ago, David.  I just submitted an application to IAAH.  You’re are correct…I found nothing that talked about the founders or the date the association began.  Nor does it say how long it takes for action to be taken on an application.  Can you fill me in?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

16 February 2007 01:58

I parted ways with the IAAH about three years ago and have had no contact since then. Compared to the information rich site that the IAAH used have, the site in its present state is down right anemic if not anorexic. There are a number of AHS/IAAH crossover members who can tell you much more about the present state of the organisation than someone like me who left long ago.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

16 February 2007 02:05

*edited by member*

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

16 February 2007 03:28

Donnchadh wrote:

Well I don’t want to be bad mouthing the IAAH and I am not and that wasn’t my intention of the post - and I’m not saying anyone else is - just that I’m not.

Believe me when I write that if I were to bad mouth someone or something, there would be absolutely no doubt as to my intentional malice.

RHSC examination format is more user friendly for an American. You are told what to learn and it is upon these topics you are tested. The English HS exam format is not surprisingly foreign, that is you are given a broad range of study topics which might come up on the examination. Of these topics, just a few will be chosen for the examination and it is upon these few unknown topics that you will have to write very detailed essays. The amount of time spent taking the tests is very different, 3 hours for a Canadian test and six hours on an English test. Six hours of essays and sketching arms was just about more than my right hand could take.