Observer’s Book of Heraldry

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

20 February 2007 11:52

Greetings!

Could someone please enlighten me:  What exactly is "The Observer’s Book of Heraldry"?  Thank you!

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

20 February 2007 12:27

Greetings

The Observer’s Book of Heraldry is a useful introduction to English and Scottish heraldry by Charles MacKinnon.  This was the first heraldry book that I bought, around 1973, and I found it a good introduction to the subject.

It’s part of a large series of small introductory books on various subjects, published by Frederick Warne & Co.  I haven’t seen any of the series in the bookshops for years, so they may be out of print nowadays.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

20 February 2007 12:36

Dear Father William,

‘The Observers Book of Heraldry’ is one of a series of pocket sized books (originally in a hard back format) running through a whole gamut of interests, hobbies and pastimes covering the natural sciences (Biology, Pond Life, Birds, etc), interests such as Military and Commericial Aircraft, Astronomy, as well as historical subjects like Churches, and of course, Heraldry.  ‘The Observers Book of Heraldry’ was originally published by Frederick Warne & Co Ltd as number 41 in the series in 1966.  At that time its Library of Congress Card No. was 67-10967.  It was written by Charles Mackinnon of Dunakin.  I recall it was the very first book on heraldry that I owned.  As a book, I believe that it has stood the test of time and went into many editions (like the rest of the series) over very many years - it is a good pocket reference book, a primer of sorts that leads you on to the wider literature of heraldry.  Presently, I am not sure if it is stiil in print.  That being said you can always find a good copy on e-bay.

I trust that the above has been of assistance?

Yours aye,

John

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

21 February 2007 00:10

Many thanks!  And you’re right, there are several copies presently on eBay…that’s what caught my attention.  Thanks again.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

21 February 2007 07:28

I’ll join the crowd: Observer’s was the first book on heraldry I owned as well. I picked up a copy in, oh, around 1970 after I saw one that a friend owned. I still ahve it, too, although I don’t reference it enarly as much as I used to. An oldie, but a goodie!