The captain american symbol proper!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

20 February 2007 19:05

CoryLymanMcHenry wrote:

The captain american symbol proper!

That’s his shield… I don’t think I’m a skilled enough a blazoner to do it justice

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

20 February 2007 19:07

On a plate fimbrated gules, a hurt fimbrated gules charged with a mullet argent… I think… maybe….

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

20 February 2007 19:58

Linusboarder wrote:

Who can blazon this?

Gules, within an orle Argent, a hurt charged with a mullet Argent.

One could also say: Gules within an orle Argent a hurt charged with a mullet of the last. (if you wanted to be antiquated)

IF it must be seen on a circular shield then that would have to be mentioned. Otherwise, these "arms" could be depicted on whatever shaped shield the artist desires.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

20 February 2007 21:03

gselvester wrote:

One could also say: Gules within an orle Argent a hurt charged with a mullet of the last. (if you wanted to be antiquated)

IF it must be seen on a circular shield then that would have to be mentioned. Otherwise, these "arms" could be depicted on whatever shaped shield the artist desires.

It must be on a circular shield, or else it’s not Cpt America’s arms. What’s a hurt?

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

20 February 2007 21:15

gselvester wrote:

Think you’re missing an "Azure" in there.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 February 2007 21:19

A hurt is by definition a roundel Azure.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 February 2007 21:47

arriano wrote:

Think you’re missing an "Azure" in there.

A hurt can only be azure so it isn’t necessary to mention it. That’s the point of naming the roundels based on their tincture.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 February 2007 21:50

Linusboarder wrote:

It must be on a circular shield, or else it’s not Cpt America’s arms. What’s a hurt?

Well, that’s stretching the point just a tad especially as it isn’t really a coat of arms at all. A shield does not a coat of arms make. If it really were a coat of arms then it would be Capt. America’s regardless of what shaped shield it’s on. Since when does the shape of the shield constitute the point of differentiation between one arms and another? (actually, I can’t believe we’re even having this conversation)

As for a hurt please see my response above.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

21 February 2007 09:03

Older comic books depicted Capitain America’s shield as more traditional and with a different design:

Paly of thirteen Gules and Argent, and in chief Azure three mullets Argent.

The round shield and accompaning design was introduced later to incorperate the "boomerangic frisbee" feature.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

21 February 2007 10:05

It was more for a little bit of fun anyways. But that’s good to know Stephan I didn’t know that.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 February 2007 12:50

*edited by member*

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 February 2007 13:18

Donnchadh wrote:

Heraldic disks/roundels:

* I have read, can’t remember where, that a plate should always be painted white and not silver when using metallic paints. Don’t know if that holds water or not and it might be from Fox-Davies I just can’t remember right now, but I do recall reading that somewhere.

I’ve never heard that, and it wouldn’t seem to make sense since the word "plate" comes from a word meaning "silver" (like the Spanish "plata").  What I have read is the assertion that since bezants and plates represent disk-like objects, they shouldn’t be shaded to appear spherical, unlike the other named roundels, which are supposed to represent things like apples, oranges, etc.  (Although I’ve never been sure what a hurt actually is, unless it is supposed to represent a blue bruise where someone got hurt.  That would seem to be the origin of golpe (from the verb to strike) as well.  If hurt and golpe in fact do come from marks on skin, then they’d have to be pretty swollen to justify 3D shading!)

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

21 February 2007 13:45

I too, also thought that a hurt represented a bruise! If I remember correctly, a bezant symbolized a gold Byzantine coin??

Cheers,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

21 February 2007 14:30

According to Wikipedia (which means it should be taken with a grain of salt) a "hurt" represents a berry the same way that a "pellet" represents gun shot and "pomme" an apple.  They also say that the "golpe" represents a wound.