Your opinion please

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

28 February 2007 10:20

I get it now for whatever reason.

Very nice work! I like it a lot

(If you post on picture hosting sites like imageshack.us, you really won’t be wasting any space. If it is on there too long they will delete it for you, and they have plenty of space since that’s what they specialize in. If you just upload an image then yes there wuill be space taken and I’m not sure how the forums memore goes, but even the free phpbb has quuite a bit of bandwidth and your picture shouldn’t be a problem)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 February 2007 11:11

*edited by member*

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

28 February 2007 11:40

Eric,

Are my eyes playing tricks on me .... or is the top portion of your helm shaped like an eagle’s head?  Either way, it is unique and attractive.

—Guy

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

28 February 2007 18:36

Guy

Indeed the helm does represent an eagle’s head.  Wish I could take credit for the idea, but I actually got the idea from an image in The Art of Heraldry by Carl Alexander von Volborth.  Unfortunately, when I photocopied the image, I cut off the name of the artist.

Denny

Thank you for the tips.  I do paint, and write calligraphy, but still consider myself a novice.  I am always happy to learn new thechniques.  So far I have found that my favorite media are watercolor mixed with eggyolk for the paint, and india ink for calligraphy.  I have been using cotton vellum because to this point it seems to be the best at accepting both watercolor, and providing a smooth durable surface for calligraphy.  I also would like to get my hands on some natural vellum so I can learn how to use it.  But as you mentioned the price is rediculous.  It is expensive just to buy a piece for practice.  I will certainly try some of the media you mentioned to see how I like them.

As for the watercolor paper though, I have to disagree with you on that one.  It is fine if watercolor is the only medium on the paper, but try to combine calligraphy in the image, you end up with a mess.  The calligraphy nib pulls at the lose fibers in the watercolor paper, and drags them making sort of a mop effect as you write the letters.  Do you have any hints on a good surface for calligraphy and watercolor together?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

28 February 2007 18:56

*edited by member*

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

01 March 2007 20:35

Eric,

Very nice artwork, but is there a reason for the wings in your crest looking more like horns or a crescent? Just wondering. :D

Take care,

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

01 March 2007 21:31

Hall/Perdue wrote:

Do you have any hints on a good surface for calligraphy and watercolor together?

Eric, have you tried cold press watercolor paper?  It will have a smoother surface without the "texture" that hot press paper has.  You can use both gouache and india ink on cold press paper.

By the way, if you are using waterproof india ink, be aware that it has a shellac lacquer in it which will clog the reservoir-types of pens and their nibs.

I use a fine brush or dip pen with india ink, and have been known to use goose quill and reed pens.  I maintain dedicated nibs for other inks and never use them with india ink.  Oh ..... and it’s been a long while since I’ve put pen to paper—so I might be out of touch with reality.

Cheers,

—Guy

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

01 March 2007 21:40

*edited by member*

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Joined  16-12-2006

01 March 2007 21:50

Mr. Power,

Thanks for the info on the watercolor paper.  I dip my pen, and use mostly dip nibs, but check out this oddball idea.  I have a favorite chisel nib for small letters, and it is a nib for a resivoir pen.  I dip it anyway.  I just have to be careful not to slop the ink.  I’ve had no real problems doing this, but I’m sure it is unorthodox.

Mr. Blanton.

I am aware that the wings in the crest look like horns in the pencil scetch.  I am taking a chance that they will look just fine once i get the thing painted.  The paint on each feather will be dithered, which I believe will prevent such confusion.  If not I guess I’ll have to try something else.

My reason for drawing the crest in this manner was to repeat the circular motif in the wings and the rose of the crest, The eye of the eagle helm, and the bottom of the shield.  My very first draft…before the first on-line draft…also included the banner in a semi-circular arc, but it looked awful.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

01 March 2007 22:33

Quote:

Mr. Blanton.

I am aware that the wings in the crest look like horns in the pencil scetch. I am taking a chance that they will look just fine once i get the thing painted. The paint on each feather will be dithered, which I believe will prevent such confusion. If not I guess I’ll have to try something else.

My reason for drawing the crest in this manner was to repeat the circular motif in the wings and the rose of the crest, The eye of the eagle helm, and the bottom of the shield. My very first draft…before the first on-line draft…also included the banner in a semi-circular arc, but it looked awful.

Eric,

Feel free to call me Phil and thanks for the explanation. I am looking forward to seeing the painted version. It promises to be a very nice looking achievement!  :D

Take care,

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

02 March 2007 12:48

Hall/Perdue wrote:

...I have a favorite chisel nib for small letters, and it is a nib for a resivoir pen.  I dip it anyway.  I just have to be careful not to slop the ink.  I’ve had no real problems doing this, but I’m sure it is unorthodox.

Try using a brush to drop ink onto the "reservoir" (underside) of the nib.  You won’t have to clean the nib, nor worry about slopping ink unless you apply too much ink.

Regards,

—Guy

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Joined  16-12-2006

03 March 2007 17:24

Here is my first color draft.  To be honest the scan quality is pretty bad.  Everything seems lighter, especially the Or trim on the helm.  In any case I do believe one can distinguish the wings from horns.

[ATTACH]175[/ATTACH]

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

03 March 2007 19:38

Hall/Perdue wrote:

Here is my first color draft.  To be honest the scan quality is pretty bad.  Everything seems lighter, especially the Or trim on the helm.  In any case I do believe one can distinguish the wings from horns.

[ATTACH]175[/ATTACH]

Image doesn’t show.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

03 March 2007 19:39

Eric,

Very nice artwork. You are very talented! :D
Hall/Perdue wrote:

In any case I do believe one can distinguish the wings from horns.

Absolutely.  They look much better now.

Take care,