Rocky Mountain College MT

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

27 November 2006 14:54

Rocky Mountain College MT

Not sure if this is heraldic enough to be heraldry.

https://updates.publishingconcepts.com/RockyMountain/images/SchoolLogo.gif

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

27 November 2006 17:25

I went to the College’s homepage to find out more about the design. The College’s site does not say anything about how the design came about.  To me it looks like a Native American symbol or symboles on a shield shape.  But

I have virtually no knowledge of Native American symboles.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 17:42

Well, I see a cross, a stylized oracle’s flame (academic heraldry) and what looks like mountains flanking the oracle’s flame on the cross. But, I could be wrong.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

27 November 2006 18:20

Donnchadh wrote:

Well, I see a cross, a stylized oracle’s flame (academic heraldry) and what looks like mountains flanking the oracle’s flame on the cross. But, I could be wrong.

I see a torch rather than an oracular flame, but otherwise I agree.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

01 March 2007 14:04

Edward Wenzl wrote:

I went to the College’s homepage to find out more about the design. The College’s site does not say anything about how the design came about.  To me it looks like a Native American symbol or symboles on a shield shape.  But

I have virtually no knowledge of Native American symboles.

I think it’s the particular artistic rendering rather than what it intrinsically is that might lead one to think this.  If one starts with a cross voided and cotised and torch, it might make more sense…

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

01 March 2007 14:26

I’d agree that the use of tapering lines does give it a Pacific Northwest Indian look (which would be quite inappropriate for Montana), but I also think this falls more into the shield shaped logo camp than it does into the heraldic one. And I see a raindrop falling on a golf tee. wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 March 2007 14:47

It seems to me that the design derives directly from the quasi-armorial seal of Billings Polytechnic Institute, in the center of the row of seals below the shield—a torch enflamed between two pairs of mountains in the flanks.