My final arms

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

23 June 2006 21:02

My final arms without the supporters and standard, which I have in another achievement I’ve drawn up as well.

So, here ya go:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7488/donnchadharms4lb.jpg

edited by member for length

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 June 2006 23:32

It’s amazing what a difference simplifying the tinctures makes!  I thought the previous black, yellow, white, and green version was OK, but this is much better—very nice.

And, if you don’t mind my saying so, an object lesson for others in the good things that can come of not rushing to a final decision!

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

24 June 2006 00:46

I have to agree.  I believe this latest version is by far the most pleasing design you have had thus far!  It’s so easy to begin adding splashes of color to your arms.  I know this from personal experience on my "old" arms I registered with the ACH.  (My AHS arms are a much simpler design, using just three colors.)  Each of your charges has a distinct purpose & meaning.  You’ve done a really fine job!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

24 June 2006 02:16

Thank you both very much. I too think that this is an attractive and combination and works much better.

I’m working on two versions of the arms. Well not versions, but I am learning to use gouache and when I’ve got that down I’m making a painted set to go over a plaque covered with either the Ulster tartan, as you see in my avatar, or on the Oriel tartan.

In the meantime I am making one in a "cartooning" style, or as I like to say, "comic book" style, as that is an art medium I am much, much more familiar with. You can see this sort of style in much of de Bruin’s (sp?) work – I love his site for its variety, but especially for its cartooning element; very, very attractive…for a cartoonist like me anyway.

Thanks again fellas. smile

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

25 June 2006 18:21

Donnchadh,

I will add my voice to the chorus and congratulate you for your final choice: azure and argent are really great alltogether, and by dropping the green of the shamrocks, you made an original choice.

Nicolas

PS : as far as crest are concerned, in France you can change at each generation if you want.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

25 June 2006 22:59

Thanks Nicolas.

I agree with the idea of a crest changing over time, as well as inherited if that is what people want. In reading the history of the crest I learned it was used during jousting tournaments and it was not uncommon to change from time to time - at least according to what I’ve read on the subject on line and in Fox-Davies, Neubecker, Lynch-Robinson, etc.

It was only later that it came to be hereditary. Even Neubecker, if I recall correctly, commented on how monarchs, or sovereigns, would change them as well.

So, to my way of thinking a crest does not have to be an inheritable part of the achievement. For me, and everyone can correct me or disagree with me if they like, the only inheritable part of a heraldic achievement that is an absolute must per se is the shield itself. The rest is all in play.

But, thanks for the kind comments Nicolas. smile