Some idle thoughts concerning a new shield

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

10 March 2007 14:42

Fr. William,

What about a fess wavy cotised Argent such as these examples?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry.jpg http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry2.jpg http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry3.jpg

I kinda like the last one as it has all the elements you have described and is well balanced with LOTS of symbolism.

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

10 March 2007 14:48

*edited by member*

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

10 March 2007 15:05

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

I would still be curious to see:

Azule, a pale double cotised between a Celtic cross dexter and castle sinister Argent.

Any sympathetic souls out there with adequate computer software? Hint, hint! :grin:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry4.jpg
Donnchadh wrote:

Nice Phil. You and Everett did nice work. :smile:

Pr. William I like the middle one of Phil’s work. I pick this one, as while I know you like the bend sinister Everett is dead on in that it would be a very ‘cramped’ looking achievement with the charges in those locations.

At least with the middle one of Phil’s you still have a nod to all your ideas about the charges and the Cross is still in chief and a castle would fill out the base nicely. I like it myself. The only thing I might add would be maybe estoiles on either side of the Celtic Cross, but that is my opinion only and I don’t have any reason as to why you should use an estoile specifically per se.

Thanks Donnchadh!  I think the second one has too much "blank canvass" in the chief, whereas the third one is filled by the "thieves" crosses.

Estoiles?  Why those?  They could be interesting.

Take care,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

10 March 2007 15:40

PBlanton wrote:

... whereas the third one is filled by the "thieves" crosses.

I know Pr William hasn’t asked for these particularly but I got into the cavalry hill bit you suggested…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Horatio86/FatherWilliam4.png

Azure a fess wavy cotised between , a Cavalry cross between two Tau Crosses, and a Castle Argent.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

10 March 2007 15:46

I was hoping to avoid this (because it leads me into indecision), but now you have awakened the "symmetry demon" that lurks within!

Phil,

You’ve given me a lot more to think about now!  And the renditions are wonderful…makes it a lot easier for me to visual options.  Thank you!

Let’s assume I give up on a bend sinister and go with a fess.  I agree, the third example is headed in the right direction.  Here’s where symmetry get’s me in trouble.  The way the towers on the castle "line up" with the undulations of the fess is cool.  Of course, we need to offset that in the chief (three undulations).  I am thinking that three identical charges are needed.  Three celtic crosses would be "overkill" (IMHO).  My favorite cross would be maltese (but the "pointedness" of that style might be a little "harsh" for curve of the fess).  Three aiguisee might look nice, but I have the same problem as with the maltese variety.

Crosses with rounded edges that I like are the Concecration Cross (or Templar Cross) and the Sun Cross (which may actually be an early form of the Celtic cross, which would get me back to where I started this sleigh ride).

Woops, just noticed there are more contributors to this thread.  Let me check those out and I’ll be back.

Thanks again (and you, too Everett).

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

10 March 2007 16:02

Phil:  Just now saw your redition of the cross and tower in pale.  Does look a little "bland" compared to the third option with the fess, doesn’t it?

Everett:  Your rendition points out what I was saying above about symmetry.  The two Tau crosses, of course, extend downward, and if continued would "pierce" the fess.  This is certainly one option (as I mentioned with the use of three Maltese or aiguisee crosses).

But I can’t help but wonder if a more "rounded" type of cross would be more aesthetically pleasing (such as three Sun crosses or three Templar crosses).  I guess it all (as usual) comes down to personal taste.  But, like I said, the symmetry demon is out in full force, wreaking havoc with my decision making process.

The best part is this:  inch by inch, step by step, it’s getting there!  Thanks everyone!  (And please, keep those suggestions and advice coming!)  :-D

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

10 March 2007 16:45

Have you considered a cross bottony?  The thrice rounded ends may look nice with the bend wavy.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

10 March 2007 16:49

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

But I can’t help but wonder if a more "rounded" type of cross would be more aesthetically pleasing (such as three Sun crosses or three Templar crosses).  I guess it all (as usual) comes down to personal taste.  But, like I said, the symmetry demon is out in full force, wreaking havoc with my decision making process.

Well, let’s see if we cant find some for you…

Cross Pommee

Cross Patonce

Cross Pattee

Cross Moline

Cross Flory

Cross Cercelee

Cross Bottony

Canterburry Cross

These all have aspects that could be described as "rounded" to varying degrees… do any of them strike you particularly?

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

10 March 2007 16:53

There are a prodigious number of heraldic crosses HERE, if you are still not satisfied :wookie:

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

10 March 2007 18:23

Andrew:  The bottony did cross my mind (no pun intended).

Everett:  I am partial to the Canterbury, but am not sure how it would look without violating "color on color, metal on metal."  I think it would be great looking, but I may have to "drift over" to the Templar cross (same basic shape, but no "empty space," if I am making sense here).  I would like to see the Canterbury (Templar could be a "fall back position").

It is truly amazing to me how the design of an achievement comes together.  With Everett’s suggestion of a fess wavy, and the examples which have been provided (thanks to all!), I have been mulling over :mullet: (no mulling) what the shield says to me.  What is extraordinary to me is I was able to very quickly come up with a "family" explanation and (as an extra added bonus) a "theological" explanation (much the way Luther did with his rose).  I also find it amazing that there can be "so many cooks in the kitchen," and yet a final design is still truly "personal."  (My kids are even getting into this now:  Any new drawings yet, Dad?)

Thank you, one and all!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

10 March 2007 18:38

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

Any new drawings yet, Dad?

Ok, ok….geesh….patience is a virtue, ya know…..

How about some of these?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry5.jpg http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry6.jpg http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry7.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry8.jpg

How’s that? What about the Canterbury cross, you say? (sigh…) Ok, I’ll be back.

Take care,

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

10 March 2007 18:39

Holy cow, Phil!  I didn’t mean immediately!  Many thanks to you!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

10 March 2007 18:48

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

Holy cow, Phil! I didn’t mean immediately! Many thanks to you!

Too bad. :(

I hope this helps.

Take care,

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

10 March 2007 20:36

PBlanton wrote:

Oh yeah…I almost forgot…here’s the Canterbury rendition…

Not being Anglican I don’t know, but I think the Canterbury cross is supposed to have the fiddly bits inside…

The good pastor was a bit worried about a tincture violation, not to worry, those fiddly bits could just be the color of the field, like it was pierced.  There would be no violation.

As to using a "Templar Cross", you’d have to be more specific as they used several different variations over time and space (more info see HERE.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

10 March 2007 21:06

ESmith wrote:

Not being Anglican I don’t know, but I think the Canterbury cross is supposed to have the fiddly bits inside…

Hmmmm…good point. I don’t know if the Canterbury cross has the "fiddly bits" in it or not, either.

Ok, just so there is no confusion, the crosses in that last version are pattée alisée. :D

Take care,