New web address and website

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

24 March 2007 17:00

The new website is under construction.  The forum is fully functional and the web pages containing articles and the members’ arms are being added.  Please PM suggestions to me and I will share them with the board.  Thanks.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 March 2007 17:24

:shock: Wow! :shock: Such a complete change will take a little getting used to, but I think I like it. :shock: Wow, again! :shock:

Thank you, Michael!

Take care,

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

24 March 2007 17:29

I have added a new field in the user control panel called Real Name.  Click on User CP and then click on Edit Profile.  Under Registration Required Information you should see the empty field.  We are using this field to (a) prevent spammers and (2) to make sure people who have paid their dues are upgraded to member status.  In the past, we have had trouble matching dues records to web nicknames.  The real name is not displayed in messages posted.

We have also added a new registration procedure for new forum users.  Before they are allowed to post, they must be approved by an administrator.

Mike

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

24 March 2007 17:36

Michael Swanson wrote:

I have added a new field in the user control panel called Real Name.  Click on User CP and then click on Edit Profile.  Under Registration Required Information you should see the empty field.  We are using this field to (a) prevent spammers and (2) to make sure people who have paid their dues are upgraded to member status.  In the past, we have had trouble matching dues records to web nicknames.  The real name is not displayed in messages posted.

Done. It won’t let me just say "done," though. My response needed to be at least 10 characters long.

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

24 March 2007 17:38

1st impression is very positive, thanks for all your efforts

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 March 2007 18:23

Michael Swanson;42628 wrote:

I have added a new field in the user control panel called Real Name. Click on User CP and then click on Edit Profile. Under Registration Required Information you should see the empty field. We are using this field to (a) prevent spammers and (2) to make sure people who have paid their dues are upgraded to member status. In the past, we have had trouble matching dues records to web nicknames. The real name is not displayed in messages posted.

We have also added a new registration procedure for new forum users. Before they are allowed to post, they must be approved by an administrator.

Real name has been added. The other updates all sound very good. I know that some :spam:ers will get aroung the system, but these updates should thwart most attempts.  Good job!  :D

Take care,

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

24 March 2007 18:55

Thanks, Mike!

Good you see you online again!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 March 2007 20:35

Very nice format!—Thanks!!

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

24 March 2007 22:02

If I may offer a suggestion, if you will outline the lettering in the graphic at the top left (AHSheader.jpg), then it will stand out a lot better against both the white and the gray colored backgrounds upon which that text rests.

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

25 March 2007 12:39

So far things are looking and working great!!!:)  Thank you for your hard work.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

25 March 2007 16:58

It seems like every time I stop in, something new or different has been added.  Nice job, Michael (and whoever else may be assisting you in this endeavor).  I know, as members, we tend to wonder "how will this affect me," but as the "public face" of the Society to visitors, it looks spectacular!  You’ll have to let us know as you accomplish various "bits and pieces" of the site if you feel proud or if it’s more along the lines of "Phew!  Another piece done.  Now what!"  But rest assured, your efforts are appreciated.  A KUDOS and three "Atta-boys!" to you and your crew.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

25 March 2007 20:24

Michael-

I don’t quite know if it’s just me or what, but the forum website will not allow me to log out. I don’t know how much of an issue that is, or if anyone else is effected this way ... just thought I’d mention it.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

25 March 2007 20:28

Patrick Williams;42683 wrote:

Michael-

I don’t quite know if it’s just me or what, but the forum website will not allow me to log out. I don’t know how much of an issue that is, or if anyone else is effected this way ... just thought I’d mention it.

Use the log-out at the bottom of the page.  The top one must have a bug.  I’ll look at it tonight.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

25 March 2007 20:35

Why aren’t the arms from the old site in the heading?  Weren’t those the ones voted on as the official arms?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

25 March 2007 20:38

The arms are in the heading.  Gules an American bald eagle displayed proper, on a chief Azure three escutcheons Argent, just as the society approved them.

Surely you don’t think that the official arms of anything, let alone a heraldry society, are limited to a single emblazonment, do you?:p

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

25 March 2007 20:45

I would like to add my voice concerning the arms. I simply prefer the Kurov version (for which we paid a tidy sum as I recall).

However, while I agree that only one artistic version of any given coat of arms does not have to be the only one used it isn’t a good idea to use various versions of the same arms on the same website. Rather, I think it is a better idea to use one uniform artistic rendering of the society’s arms on the whole of the website. Other versions could be used for things like the masthead of the hardcopy newsletter or letterhead for the society, etc.