CoA for Club

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

06 April 2007 17:19

I like the fimbriated chief. :D

I think I like it without the dice, though.

Take care,

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

06 April 2007 17:32

I agree, I think the dice make it look too busy.  I’m even for dropping the firmbriated chief, I thought it looked better without.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

06 April 2007 17:44

PBlanton;43262 wrote:

...However, I’m not too hip on the fimbriated pale because the Or fimbiration will not show up well against the Argent pale at a distance.

Andrew J Vidal;43264 wrote:

...I’m even for dropping the firmbriated chief, I thought it looked better without.

I agree that the Pale looks better without it.  I fimbriated the chief to begin with so that the line between the sable and gules would be better defined and then I added it to the pale because I got carried away.  I don’t know which version of the chief I like better with or without it.  What do you all think?

JRB

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

06 April 2007 18:48

Click on the link below.  Those are tobacco plants in chief.  The cup represents drinking.

[IMG]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4102/baker1ma0.th.jpg

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

06 April 2007 19:17

Trent;43267 wrote:

The cup represents drinking.

The vup could also represent a trophy. Many sports give out cups as the winning trophy.

I still think the subtle smoke would look better as a wavy border, instead of a wavy chief.. i’ll whip something up later

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

06 April 2007 19:22

Your Loving Cup is a good replacement for the tuns. It can repesent not only drinking but communal drinking, drinking games and game trophies. Here is a one made of sterling silver by Peter and Ann Bateman in London, 1796:

http://www.harrogateantiques.com/images/ch3.jpg

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

06 April 2007 20:17

Here’s a version with pipes.  Click below.

[IMG]http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/2097/baker2pp2.th.jpg

I’m not a fan of the look of the wavy chief, but its symbolism could suggest the flow of drink as well the snake-like movement of cigar/pipe smoke.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

07 April 2007 13:36

Jonathan,

I guess this is just my week to be contrary ... sigh ...

You’ve got some dandy designs going on here, but I’d like to take your mind in another direction. Imagine the Association of Disparate Gentlemen in full armor and on horseback in, say ‘around’ the year 1150 ad, riding along next to the Templars. I pick this year because a) the Templars existed then and b) because ‘personal’ heraldry had not yet developed, so everyone in the group might bear the same arms on their shield.

So ... here we are, watching all this. Here come the Templars bearing Argent a cross Gules a chief Sable. Very manly, very powerful. Here come the Gentlemen bearing smoking pipes Or? Dice? Chessmen?

Of the designs so far, I’m liking Trent’s last two: you already have great reasons to use the crow and these designs use it nicely, but on the pale it just seems too small.

How about this: lose all the obvious associations to drinking, smoking (I’ve done both for a long time ... they aren’t manly pursuits, trust me) and gaming. You know who you are, you don’t have to advertise it. But take the basis of Trent’s beautiful design and make it simple, manly and powerful.

Howzabout, Argent, a crow/raven/chough (take your pick, they are all basically the same bird) close proper on a chief wavy Gules three cinquefoils Or? Now you have your crow, for "Strategist in battle; watchful for friends; divine providence." AND you have cinquefoils which could represent the blossoms of the tobacco plant, which is much more subtle. And might look something like this:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/gents2.jpg

You could even call the bird a ‘rook’. get it? Just another idea ... I like the one with the tobacco plants, too.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

07 April 2007 20:09

Patrick’s concept is my favorite so far because of it’s simplicity.

It captures all of the colors Johnathan wanted—red, black, white, and gold.

The black chief and red field make all of the previous versions too dark for me.

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

07 April 2007 23:54

Quote:

**looks over his shoulder to make sure his wife isn’t reading this**

Might I suggest a "seme of lavender proper"

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

08 April 2007 00:02

I like the gules in the shield, but I agree that the rook is too small.  Perhaps the use of flaunches gules will provide some color contrast, without deminishing the rook.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

08 April 2007 09:23

I’m surprised that nobody caught this: heraldic crows, rooks, ravens and corbies are proper (which I also missed in the blazon) only when their beaks and legs are red. So I’ve updated the previous image and blazon.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

09 April 2007 22:38

Okay…There’s been a lot of good ideas in this thread.  I like Philip’s version with the large tun, Trent’s version with the tobacco plants, and Patrick’s complete revamp as well.  I do think, however, that I’d like to keep the chess king as it could represent both the gaming and the fact that we’re the "kings of our castles."  (At least, we like to pretend we are.)

Honestly, I don’t think I’ll be able to make a decision on my own.  I’ll probably just take several of the best designs and present them at our next meeting and put it to a vote.

If there are any other suggestions, please make them.  I’d still like to see Colin’s idea about the wavy bordure and any others you might have.

I’m also going to keep fiddling around with designs and posting them here.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 April 2007 23:08

If you are kings in your castles, then perhaps what you need in the shield is a king and a rook side by side—the chess notation for a king that’s been castled.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

09 April 2007 23:12

Click on the image to enlarge it.

[IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6025/baker3vt6.th.jpg