New web address and website

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

17 April 2007 20:21

Trent;43096 wrote:

Mike,

Would you add a chat feature to the site, please?

It would be nice to "talk" to each other in real time.

This feature can be added to the current bboard system for a small fee, depending on the software.  The basic chat integration packages costs $10 and login is limited to board users, so outsiders cannot crash conversations.

If you want this, send a request to a current officer for their consideration.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

20 April 2007 08:27

I tried to use all-caps on a word, but when I posted the message, only the first letter thereof was upper-case.  Is it supposed to do that?  :confused:

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

20 April 2007 09:34

Stephen R. Hickman;43744 wrote:

I tried to use all-caps on a word, but when I posted the message, only the first letter thereof was upper-case.  Is it supposed to do that?  :confused:

This is "SHOUT" protection designed to help CAP-LOCK typers.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

20 April 2007 13:27

O.K., I get it.  Clever idea, Michael!  I like it!  :D

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 April 2007 14:30

One can still use CAPS if one shifts each letter individually.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

20 April 2007 15:15

David Pritchard;43753 wrote:

One can still use CAPS if one shifts each letter individually.

It applies only to CAPs in the title, on words 3 characters or longer.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

20 April 2007 23:28

Michael,

Something strange with the chat room.  If I am the only one in the Heraldry Room, a "member" named "std-dictionary" automatically enters and asks some rather "bizarre" questions.  If anyone else enters the room, it "hangs up."  When that person leaves, "it" returns.  Same in The Lounge with "std-knowledge."  Have we been hacked? :(

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 April 2007 00:09

I’ve just banned both.  We’ll see if he comes back.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

21 April 2007 09:06

Joseph McMillan;43774 wrote:

I’ve just banned both.  We’ll see if he comes back.

Those are test robots for people who enter the room without anyone else, to allow people to set their options and colors and see how the system works.

I am not sure how Joe banned them, since only registered bboard users can access the chat room.

I have disabled the bots.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

21 April 2007 16:41

For those of you brave enough to try the new heraldry bot, I invite you to enter the chatroom and go to the "Talk to Robot" room.  To change rooms, simply use the down arrow to the right of the Room field.

You can ask basic questions of the bot, which has been educated to about the pre-school level in heraldry.  It only will give you a direct answer if you say "define" and then the term, such as "Define Agnus Dei" or "Define crest".  You might try "What is a crest?"

The project is still in its infancy, and if anyone wants to extend its vocabulary, please email me.  Work on the project involves knowing some basic HTML, i.e., placing a term and definition between a little code in a text file.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

21 April 2007 18:42

Michael,

Sorry about the misunderstanding above with your new "playmates."  It seemed a bit "hinky" that it would "leave the chatroom" when someone else entered.  And considering their "monikers," I thought some college students or "blue pill salesmen" were having some fun with us again.  I shall stop by later and apologize to the "tots / bots" later.  Was this all announced before and I missed the post?  Sorry about any inconvenience this may have caused.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

21 April 2007 21:00

WBHenry;43793 wrote:

Michael,

Sorry about the misunderstanding above with your new "playmates."  It seemed a bit "hinky" that it would "leave the chatroom" when someone else entered.  And considering their "monikers," I thought some college students or "blue pill salesmen" were having some fun with us again.  I shall stop by later and apologize to the "tots / bots" later.  Was this all announced before and I missed the post?  Sorry about any inconvenience this may have caused.

It was announced in the board message area, but not publicly.  I didn’t think the robots would fool people!