Okay, guys, let’s see how clever we can get!

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 11:01

Can’t wait to see it, Trent. The gules is merely popular, it has no specific meaning.

I just came up with a crest idea (well, I modified my own crest ... Denny’s work) and stuck it on an earlier emblazonment:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/rbcbells.jpg

... issuing from a torse of the colors a demi-badger rampant Proper holding between the paws a Masonic square and compasses Or.  The badger is, of course, Wisconsin’s state animal and might become the ‘official’ crest of all armigerous Wisconsin lodges. Under those circumstances, I don’t object to the emblem being used.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 May 2007 11:34

Symbolism:  Racine means "root" in French, for Root River. The town is named after the river, and the river flows through it.  The Root River is in fess, with ice above water (the Root River flows into Lake Michigan, that has to be cold!).  The edifice (masonry in chief) is canting for masons, and the gold square represents the Golden Rule (canting) and the Masons.  The roots in base(canting for Racine) grow with nourishment of the golden rule, on which the edifice is built.  (The roots could be drawn in an Irish style, but I was a bit lazy and used the Indian style.)

[ATTACH]207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]208[/ATTACH]

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 12:06

Michael Swanson;44231 wrote:

Symbolism:  Racine means "root" in French, for Root River. The town is named after the river, and the river flows through it.  The Root River is in fess, with ice above water (the Root River flows into Lake Michigan, that has to be cold!).  The edifice (masonry in chief) is canting for masons, and the gold square represents the Golden Rule (canting) and the Masons.  The roots in base(canting for Racine) grow with nourishment of the golden rule, on which the edifice is built.  (The roots could be drawn in an Irish style, but I was a bit lazy and used the Indian style.)

Beautiful, Michael! Racine has quite a history of Scandis (Danish and Norwegian). Would you be willing to redo either of your entries in that style?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 12:08

Here are examples of Mohamed’s Tower Crests done up

a) Compasses alone

b) Square and Compasses

c) Square Compasses and Letter G

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/triptower.jpg

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

01 May 2007 12:09

Option C as the crest, definitely.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

01 May 2007 12:31

Yes, definitely "C", but if the badger will be the crest for all of the state’s lodges, then "C" should be the badge for your lodge.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

01 May 2007 12:38

Oooh, very nice!

I like that last one, with the compass, square and G the most. I think it would make a very nice pin or other such insignia as well.

Cheers,

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 13:08

I just updated post #8 and put in the Badger Crest. And here’s the same arms with the tower crest:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/chvtwr.jpg

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 13:45

Trent;44241 wrote:

Yes, definitely "C", but if the badger will be the crest for all of the state’s lodges, then "C" should be the badge for your lodge.

Trent, I don’t have the authority to say whether any of this will ever actually be used, I was merrely dreaming that the Grand Lodge might adopt arms and use the Badger Crest as a statewide emblem. I do have a meeting tonight where we’ll talk more about my lodge becoming armigerous and next month I’ll bring all of these choices (or perhaps the top two or three) to lodge and let the membership decide.

This is fun, no?

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

01 May 2007 13:52

Patrick,

I thought you meant that all of the lodges were adopting the same badger crest.  I must have misread the post.

Ditto on the fun.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

01 May 2007 14:05

Looking at options A, B, C, of the Tower crest options, my opinions:

A is hard to tell what the compass is in the context of the tower.

B looks (to me) like a blue chicken or rooster about to peck me with its yellow beak…. http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

C is definitely better than A or B, and looks less like a chicken to me.  But I can’t say I’m really crazy about the single tower… it doesn’t seem very "active" in the way an animal crest always does to me.

I think I just like a little more "life" to it.  But that’s just my opinion.

Kyle=

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 May 2007 14:06

Patrick Williams;44237 wrote:

Beautiful, Michael! Racine has quite a history of Scandis (Danish and Norwegian). Would you be willing to redo either of your entries in that style?

[Attach]209[/attach]

[ATTACH]210[/ATTACH]

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 15:22

Kyle MacLea;44248 wrote:

Looking at options A, B, C, of the Tower crest options, my opinions:

... I can’t say I’m really crazy about the single tower… it doesn’t seem very "active" in the way an animal crest always does to me.

I think I just like a little more "life" to it.  But that’s just my opinion.

Kyle=

I like a crest with ‘life’, too ... especially if the charges are static.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

01 May 2007 15:23

Michael Swanson;44249 wrote:

[Attach]209[/attach]

[ATTACH]210[/ATTACH]

Now, that’s what I’m talking about! Thanks! :D

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

01 May 2007 16:25

This is my favorite so far:

http://americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210&d=1178043195

Nice design, great symbolism, good use of colors. What if the roots were Or fimbriated Azure? This might tie the "golden rule" and roots together a bit better.

As for the crest, I also like "C" the best. What if it were a bell-tower to allude to the "city of bells"?

Just some rambling thoughts. :D

Take care,