Maternal Arms

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

07 May 2007 01:39

Hey everyone!

Here are the arms I designed for my mom’s family, my maternal side.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/mohamedhossam/maternalarms.jpg

Those are lotus blossoms depicted in the ancient Egyptian style. How would this be blazoned? I haven’t put them in shield shape yet, though, will work on that.

And here is another creation, quarterd arms for my paternal and maternal side. I used my paternal sides, which I will soon register for my great grandfather as well.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/mohamedhossam/quarterdarms.jpg

I also drew these in banner format, will get around to shield soon.

So I had some questions. Is quartering frowned upon in American heraldry? What are the customs regarding it?

If you use quartered arms do you use two crests? (crest for each quartered arms?)

Cheers,

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 May 2007 21:39

Personal observations - others may differ:

a) quartering complicates the design & generally isn’t encouraged unless there is a special reason.  Of course, "special" is a term each of us would define ourselves…

b) the arms (maternal design) are very nice!  Have you involved anyone from her family in the design process, such that at least some of our maternal cousins might actually use them as their own?

c) If so (if in actual use—see "b" above) then, subject to the concern in "a" above, why not?

d) If not in actual use per "b" above) then the maternal arms have no real existence except in your imagination—i.e. they don’t link you to a family that actually uses them.  But as noted, that’s my own view (or prejudice if you prefer).

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 May 2007 23:10

Well, to be honest, no one in my family uses arms, or has even heard of them. Heraldry isn’t really widespread in Egypt or the middle east, heck, to be honest, it’s practically unheard and unknown of (in the last 5 or so decades more or less).

I showed these arms to my mom and she like them. But others than that, they are mostly a creation of my own mind, but I want them to be a symbol of my entire descent.

I see where your opinion is coming from, and I totally respect that. smile

So, how would you blazon the arms (the maternal ones, as well as the quarterly ones).

Would I need to re-register the quartered arms, or as long as both of the arms that are being registered are quartered, or what?

Cheers,

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

07 May 2007 23:32

You know what, I thought it over, and discussed with WBHenry, and I think I should just use my arms, and not be tempted to invent quartered arms for myself. This whole designing of matrenal arms was just a back-door way to get ‘em.

Thanks for helping knock some since into me!

Cheers,

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

08 May 2007 09:48

Mohamed,

I think I am with Mike on this one.  I am glad you decided to refrain from complicating your arms by adding quartering.

As for heraldry in the Middle East, you are correct in saying that within the last 50 years or so (since the revolution of 1952 in Egypt and the subsequent pan Arab disastrous movements); heraldry has been erroneously viewed as a western invention.

However, one has to only look at the Mamluke era to find that heraldry was widespread in the Middle East. I do have to admit, it was strictly used by royalty and nobility throughout the history of its existence in the Middle East.