Tabards

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

28 June 2007 20:22

Patrick Williams;46776 wrote:

I especially like the chain and padlock on the helm. Very fetching.

It is actually the small museums and churches that are the favourite targets for thieves in the United Kingdom and Europe in general. From curatorial point of view, the tabard should be laying flat so it does not tear itself apart from its own weight.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

28 June 2007 20:27

I know, there just has to be a way to secure the helm without passing a chain and padlock through the visor.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

28 June 2007 21:11

David Pritchard;46772 wrote:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4845/800pxblanccoursiertabarlz7.jpg
</div>

A black and white photograph of a tabard, in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum, made in 1727 for John Anstis, Blanc Coursier Herald (White Horse Herald). Note the inclusion of the grand quartering of the arms of Brunswick, L&#252;neburg and Hanover in the fourth quarter.

Interestingly, according to the Wikipedia article on Blanc Coursier this was simultaneously a royal appointment and a private officer of arms like Slains or Endure. The final quarter lacks the center escutcheon that is on the monarch’s arms and the label is charged with a little cross on the center pendant. Those differences produce the arms of William, Duke of Cumberland, and would lead one to believe that Wikipedia got this one right, though we must always take this source with a grain of salt. Thanks for the image, David.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

28 June 2007 22:00

David Boven;46779 wrote:

The final quarter lacks the center escutcheon that is on the monarch’s arms and the label is charged with a little cross on the center pendant. Those differences produce the arms of William, Duke of Cumberland.

The missing inescutcheon that appeared in the full arms of King George I was the shield signifying the office of Arch-Treasurer of the Holy Roman Empire, a hereditary office invested in the Elector of Hanover.