Latest emblazonment (part 1)

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

31 August 2007 11:09

Here’s my latest, sans mantling and helm (coming soon).  Opinions?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/w3r3wolv3s/arms_no_mantling_copy.png

Sorry for the lame copyright notice, it’s on Photobucket, so I’m paranoid.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

31 August 2007 11:16

Why are there two lozenges floating above your crest? I have yet to encounter a single heraldry book that does not designate crests with floating pieces as "bad heraldry".

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

31 August 2007 11:59

To put it in a kinder manner: the usual custom is to design a crest that could actually be built and attached to one’s helm. The floating lozenges are, therefore, problematic.

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

31 August 2007 13:34

Patrick Williams;49032 wrote:

To put it in a kinder manner: the usual custom is to design a crest that could actually be built and attached to one’s helm. The floating lozenges are, therefore, problematic.

Point taken.  Personally I find this less attractive and balanced visually, so I doubt I’d actually render it this way (call it artistic license), but certainly there are many options to render (or build) a cross "accompanied above" by two lozenges that are less "paper heraldry-esque" than the first.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/w3r3wolv3s/arms_no_mantling_copy2.png

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

31 August 2007 15:03

Much better Kevin!

The lozenges are no longer being levitated but are now attached to the cross. I did not notice it before from your avatar sized arms but with the large graphic of your arms, I noticed that your salmon are really wonderfully drawn. My father has a trout in his crest so I take notice of heraldic fish of all species when I encounter them.

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

31 August 2007 17:58

David Pritchard;49039 wrote:

Much better Kevin!

The lozenges are no longer being levitated but are now attached to the cross. I did not notice it before from your avatar sized arms but with the large graphic of your arms, I noticed that your salmon are really wonderfully drawn. My father has a trout in his crest so I take notice of heraldic fish of all species when I encounter them.

Thank you, I thought they turned out pretty well.  Much better than my first attempt at any rate.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

31 August 2007 18:10

Kevin, allow me to ask a stupid question. Why are the lozenges there at all? It seems to me that if you got rid of them and then elevated the wings so that they appeared to be conjoined behing the intersection of the cross, that your design would be much stronger. And, you wouldn’t have those pesky lozenges!

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

31 August 2007 18:27

Patrick Williams;49055 wrote:

Kevin, allow me to ask a stupid question. Why are the lozenges there at all? It seems to me that if you got rid of them and then elevated the wings so that they appeared to be conjoined behing the intersection of the cross, that your design would be much stronger. And, you wouldn’t have those pesky lozenges!

Patrick,

You asked the question that I was just thinking. One could also make the wings different tinctures such as: dexter Azure and sinister Vert. I was thinking that lozenges were associated with the practice of law in Medieval heraldry and the the colour Vert has been associated with doctors or medicine for almost two hundred years. Could it be that our Mr. Kane is a speedy (wings) ambulance chasing lawyer (green lozenges) who preforms last rites (cross)? I have many other combinations but I shall spare young Kevin more exposure to my humour.

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

31 August 2007 20:21

For those that are interested, the design rationale is here:

http://usheraldicregistry.com/pmwiki.php?n=Registrations.20061018C

Not that I don’t appreciate helpful suggestions, but these are my arms.  So, while they might be a "challenge" from a design standpoint, the arms have been designed, registered, emblazoned and tattooed on my body, and the overall design is set in stone (or at least skin) as far as I’m concerned.  The lozenges were a specific request from my father to represent integrity.  In my opinion they are also nice from a purely visual standpoint.

As to this emblazonment, and those that follow, I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Patrick Williams;49055 wrote:

No such thing as a stupid question, but see above.

David Pritchard;49057 wrote:

Patrick,

You asked the question that I was just thinking. One could also make the wings different tinctures such as: dexter Azure and sinister Vert. I was thinking that lozenges were associated with the practice of law in Medieval heraldry and the the colour Vert has been associated with doctors or medicine for almost two hundred years. Could it be that our Mr. Kane is a speedy (wings) ambulance chasing lawyer (green lozenges) who preforms last rites (cross)? I have many other combinations but I shall spare young Kevin more exposure to my humour.

Humor is always appreciated.

Speaking of which; You know if you’d wash your helm occasionally, there wouldn’t be a weed growing out of it.  wink

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

31 August 2007 20:43

werewolves;49060 wrote:

Humor is always appreciated. Speaking of which; You know if you’d wash your helm occasionally, there wouldn’t be a weed growing out of it.  wink

Great humour Kevin, though I will admit that it took me a moment of thought to get my mind around it. :p

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

31 August 2007 22:20

Kevin,

Attached lozenges or not, I find it to be a very nice looking emblazonment. Definately one to be proud of. :D

werewolves wrote:

You know if you’d wash your helm occasionally, there wouldn’t be a weed growing out of it. :wink:

LOL! I love it! LOL What’s worse, though, is that it’s not just any old weed growing out of David’s helm, but a whole Ash tree! LOL

Take care,

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

01 September 2007 02:55

You have this tattooed somewhere?  We are always interested in the various uses of heraldry in the modern world (glass etchings in front doors, etc.).  It seems to me someone mentioned the possibility of someone tattooing their shield.  If it is in an "appropriate" place, might you post a picture for us?  Many thanks.

(P.S. - I always find those little sapplings growing in the house gutters annoying as well.  We will check the budget and see if we can get David some cleanser or an S.O.S. pad!) :cool:

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

01 September 2007 09:59

Yep, tattooed on the back of my right calf.  Looks really cool when wearing my kilt if I do say so myself.

Picture doesn’t do the vibrant colors justice, much better in person.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/w3r3wolv3s/tat_final.png

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 September 2007 10:11

Magnificent!  Can I post this on the member’s page as an alternate emblazonment?  Who is the tatoo artist!?

werewolves

werewolves
Joined  14-08-2007

01 September 2007 10:16

Michael Swanson;49101 wrote:

Magnificent!  Can I post this on the member’s page as an alternate emblazonment?  Who is the tatoo artist!?

Actually, like most new tattoos it needs a few small touch-ups.  I’d also like a better picture.  After that, I’ll send you one for the members page.

The artist is "Chad" at Donovan Tattoo in Battleground, Washington.  He is a very talented gentleman.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

01 September 2007 12:41

Yeowza!  A tattoo and a kilt!  Now for the trifecta:  Don’t suppose you have a motorcycle?  :cool:  Actually, an outstanding piece of art.  My congratulations!  Saw a lot of tattoos in the Navy, but never a full achievement like that.  I guess we don’t have to worry about you "tweeking" the final design…!