Joined  26-01-2007

23 September 2007 02:30

Jonathan R. Baker;50007 wrote:

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/jonishairy/Heraldry/Whitecrest.gif

</div>

<div class=“bbcode_center” >

</div>

I actually prefer your proposal to the unbalanced Habersham crest. I would however, make the mullet a bit smaller in proportion to the ducal crest coronet. This design would look very good on a button, a signet ring or on writing paper. If one removes the torse, it makes a very fine badge along the lines of the Medieval badges that were often derived from crests.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 03:57

I’m sold. Jonathan’s suggestion is an enhancement, for sure. It’s amazing how the design has come together. I reckon the full achievement would look like this:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/fwhiteiv/ArmsSep23.jpg

A handsome COA indeed. How would we blazon it?

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 04:51

If I want to ensure that these arms are inheritable by my nephews (brothers’ sons) in the event I have no sons, is there any choice but to have them registered as my father’s arms?

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

23 September 2007 05:22

fwhite;50009 wrote:

I’m sold. Jonathan’s suggestion is an enhancement, for sure. It’s amazing how the design has come together. I reckon the full achievement would look like this:

[picture clipped out]

A handsome COA indeed. How would we blazon it?

I’d imagine something along the lines of:

Shield: Per bend Azure and Argent on a fess between six crosses paty, three crosses paty all countercharged.

Crest: On a torse Argent and Azure a mullet Sable the upper arm enfiling a ducal coronet Or.

By the way, congratulations on your final design.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

23 September 2007 09:07

fwhite;50010 wrote:

If I want to ensure that these arms are inheritable by my nephews (brothers’ sons) in the event I have no sons, is there any choice but to have them registered as my father’s arms?

Sure.  Just write down somewhere—and ensure your brother and nephews know about it—that you intend that they inherit the arms if you have no children.  One of the advantages of living in an unregulated heraldic environment is that there are no hard and fast requirements for such things.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

23 September 2007 10:20

fwhite;50005 wrote:

Hot diggity, that looks good! Very textural. I reckon we can add those three extra crosses to the blazon (which takes care of two differences, BTW). Kind of makes it seem like something should have been going on in the fess all along. Thanks to Michael for the suggestion and Patrick for the illustration.

So, how would the blazon for the shield read now?

You’re welcome, Fred. It’s just clip art and monkeying with it a little in mspaint. Thanks, too, to all the people who contributed, that’s where all the ideas came from. Now that you’ve decided on this, I’ll tell you that I was a little uncomfortable with the empty fess, it just didn’t look ‘right’ to me and I’m glad that there is something there now. Thanks to David P for saying three threes!

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 11:56

Dcgb7f;50011 wrote:

By the way, congratulations on your final design.

Thanks, Daniel. I think the Society deserves the lion’s share of the credit for the design. My role lay primarily in sifting possibilities devised by others.

As for the motto, does "Meliora sequamur" (or "Sequamur meliora") work?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

23 September 2007 22:02

Here, just one more thing to look at:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/whitefull3.jpg

I’ve turned the mullet azure and the coronet argent, just to fit in with the overall color scheme a little better.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

23 September 2007 22:15

I think that is a nice touch, Patrick, which gives the whole achievement a more "finished" appearance.  Question:  Is there a standard angle for the dividing line when a shield is divided bendwise?  I guess what has been bugging me about this particular achievement is that the center cross and the cross in sinister base have rarely been "divided" equally in most of the renditions shown on this thread (note the cross in dexter chief).  Is this a "necessary evil," or just a matter of "fine tuning?

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 22:22

Thanks for the extra effort, Patrick. I’ve given it some thought, but have decided the mullet Sable and coronet Or work for me, partly out of fidelity to the Habersham design but also because my threshold for homogeneity is probably somewhat low!:)

Is there any chance you could post your version of the arms with the sable/or crest? If so, would you allow me to use it in the armorial here? I really like the painted effect you achieve—a nice complement to Philip Blanton’s work.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 22:27

Dcgb7f;50011 wrote:

Shield: Per bend Azure and Argent on a fess between six crosses paty, three crosses paty all countercharged.

Crest: On a torse Argent and Azure a mullet Sable the upper arm enfiling a ducal coronet Or.

Is there any disagreement about this? Just making sure before I skip over to the heraldic registry.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

23 September 2007 22:54

fwhite;50021 wrote:

Is there any disagreement about this? Just making sure before I skip over to the heraldic registry.

No on "Countercharged"

If you want the three crosses in bend to be tinctured per bend, then you need to specify this, otherwise charge placement and shield shape will override your intent.  For example, if this design is placed on a cartouche or lozenge it is likely that only one cross will be cut by the bend line.  Moreover, for these shield shapes and based on your blazon an artist might arrange the crosses in chief and base 1,2 and 2,1.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

23 September 2007 23:48

Michael Swanson;50022 wrote:

No on "Countercharged"

If you want the three crosses in bend to be tinctured per bend, then you need to specify this, otherwise charge placement and shield shape will override your intent.  For example, if this design is placed on a cartouche or lozenge it is likely that only one cross will be cut by the bend line.  Moreover, for these shield shapes and based on your blazon an artist might arrange the crosses in chief and base 1,2 and 2,1.

I didn’t think about that, but he’s got a point, otherwise the emblazonment might, as Michael pointed out, turn out like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Resine/Heraldry/swansonpost.png

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

23 September 2007 23:52

So if I understand correctly, the blazon for the shield should be modified to read something like this:

Shield: Per bend Azure and Argent on a fess between six crosses paty, three crosses paty all countercharged, the crosses in dexter chief, fess center, and sinister base tinctured bendwise.

I take it the blazon for the crest works.