Fred White design

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

24 September 2007 03:28

Dcgb7f;50025 wrote:

I didn’t think about that, but he’s got a point, otherwise the emblazonment might, as Michael pointed out, turn out like this.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Resine/Heraldry/swansonpost.png

</div>

<div class=“bbcode_center” >

<div class=“bbcode_left” >
I do not see it a problem if the charges conform to the shape of the shield on which they are displayed but rather an great advantage. It is the freedom of this design that allows it to look good on a cartouche, lozenge, heater shield, Tudor shield, Polish shield, Italian horse head shield, etc.  Why limit yourself to only a few types of shields when the design could look good on every shape?

</div>

</div>

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

24 September 2007 07:07

Weebs: The angle of the bend is flexible within limits. Therefore a competent artist should be able to arrange the crosses and the bend so they form a much more pleasing attitude to one another. In fact, the first one I posted (to show Fred the relative sive of helm and crest to shield) played not only with the bend angle, but the fess was slightly smaller than usual to make up for the empty space in the middle.

Fred: I’ll do my best to post up a redo to your specs and if you want to use it, please feel free (assuming, of course, that it’s alright with Phil - most of this is his work that I just cut and pasted). I think, however, that you’ll find that there are other, much more competent artists, who will be able to give you the ‘metal’ effect with much more skill.

Oh ... don’t change the blazon (other than the fact that the word is counterchanged not countercharged). David’s right, don’t mess with the flexibility. And as you will be commissioning the artists who render it, I don’t think you’ll have to worry about cross placement as you can control that.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

24 September 2007 08:04

Here you go:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/PaddyW_photos/whitefinal.jpg

You’ll notice that I altered the angle of the bend and cut the division lines down to as small as possible. Unfortunately, I don’t have a vector graphics program, so this will lose detail whether you shrink of expand it from this size.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

24 September 2007 08:12

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

24 September 2007 10:14

In the immortal words of Jeff Spicoli, "Awesome! Totally awesome!" I owe the Society a significant debt of gratitude.

It strikes me that one way to keep the greyhound motif around is to use it in a badge. The passant design—http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Greyhound4.jpg—might work well for that purpose (cf., the zebra holding bishop’s crozier in the arms of George Martin). Meanwhile, if Philip B. will consent, I’d like to use it as my avatar here.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 September 2007 16:29

Patrick Williams wrote:

assuming, of course, that it’s alright with Phil - most of this is his work that I just cut and pasted

I’m good with that. :D That would make a fine looking badge.

fwhite wrote:

Meanwhile, if Philip B. will consent, I’d like to use it as my avatar here.

I recant!...er….I confess!...er…I consent! LOL

Take care,

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

24 September 2007 20:11

Fred,

I’d like to add my voice to the concurrence of this final shield design.  It simply looks medieval!  Nice & basic.
fwhite;50035 wrote:

It strikes me that one way to keep the greyhound motif around is to use it in a badge. The passant design…

Would you consider for a badge "A greyhound passant proper ensigned of a mullet sable, ducally gorged Or"  (if that is the correct blazoning order for a greyhound with a black star on his flank and a gold ducal crown for a collar).

—Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 September 2007 20:59

Nice final design; the additional crosses on the fess, which in concept sounded a bit busy, turned out visually quite well.  (I would have opted for the blue star & silver coronet, but as before, you’re the boss!  Besides, if a younger son/grandson or any of your cousins should prefer the blue & white, that could be their difference.)

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

24 September 2007 22:59

Guy Power;50047 wrote:

Fred,

I’d like to add my voice to the concurrence of this final shield design.  It simply looks medieval!  Nice & basic.

Would you consider for a badge "A greyhound passant proper ensigned of a mullet sable, ducally gorged Or"  (if that is the correct blazoning order for a greyhound with a black star on his flank and a gold ducal crown for a collar).

Thanks to you and all for the kind praise—fidelity to the ancient design is just what I was after, and I certainly couldn’t have done it on my own. The only thing about your proposed badge that sounds odd to me is the black star on the flank, but what inspires you to suggest that? Maybe there’s something I don’t see.

P.S.—Is there some way to change my user name here so that it says "Fred White" instead of "fwhite" next to my avatar?

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

25 September 2007 12:54

Bravo on your coat of arms, Fred!  :cool:  Now all you need to do is get it registered at the U.S. Heraldic Registry.  It’s free to register, and our own Michael Swanson runs the site!  Of course, you’ll also have to find ways to display your arms with pride!  :D

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

25 September 2007 16:11

Stephen R. Hickman;50070 wrote:

Now all you need to do is get it registered at the U.S. Heraldic Registry.

Already done, I think. I went to the site and completed the form. Hopefully no typos, etc. It will be nice to have the design protected in principle if not in law.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

25 September 2007 17:03

Fred,

Nice avatar! (If I do say so myself.) 8-)

Guy Power wrote:

Would you consider for a badge "A greyhound passant proper ensigned of a mullet sable, ducally gorged Or" (if that is the correct blazoning order for a greyhound with a black star on his flank and a gold ducal crown for a collar).

Guy, I’m somewhat confused (go figgure :confused:). Are you thinking of the mullet ensigning (over) the greyhound or the greyhound charged with (i.e., on his flank) the mullet?

Take care,

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

25 September 2007 20:08

Stephen R. Hickman;50070 wrote:

Of course, you’ll also have to find ways to display your arms with pride!  :D

Can anyone recommend a stationery outfit that does a good job with heraldic devices? Besides signet rings, what other uses are AHS members’ CoAs being put to?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

26 September 2007 23:20

Fred White;50055 wrote:

...The only thing about your proposed badge that sounds odd to me is the black star on the flank, but what inspires you to suggest that? Maybe there’s something I don’t see.

I was just thinking that the paw resting on the mullet seemed a bit awkward—it would be hard to recognize when mounted properly on a helm and viewed from the front.  Then again .... many crests would look awkward when viewed from that perspective, wouldn’t they!  Mine was just a passing thought—nothing extremely deep or well thought-out.

Phillip Blanton wrote:

Are you thinking of the mullet ensigning (over) the greyhound or the greyhound charged with (i.e., on his flank) the mullet?

The latter—but you said it better than I.

Cheers!

—Guy