Zieber’s American Heraldry

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

28 June 2006 12:54

I am thinking about purchasing one or twho references about American (US) heraldry, and heard about Zieber’s American Heraldry being a reference.

It seems interesting because it is about how heraldry is practised in the USA, not how it should be according to British standards.

Can forumeers tell me what do they think about it?

Nicolas

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

28 June 2006 13:35

Nicolas Vernot wrote:

I am thinking about purchasing one or twho references about American (US) heraldry, and heard about Zieber’s American Heraldry being a reference.

It seems interesting because it is about how heraldry is practised in the USA, not how it should be according to British standards.

Can forumeers tell me what do they think about it?

It’s a decent enough book, being one of very few about heraldic usage in the U.S., but, being over 100 years old now, is somewhat out of date.

Just my two cents’ worth.

David

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 June 2006 13:49

Without my copy in front of me, it’s hard to be too specific about the contents, but relatively little of Zieber deals with heraldic practice in the US.  If memory serves, Zieber was the chief heraldic engraver with the Philadelphia jewelry firm of Bailey Banks and Biddle, and his main concern in his book was to collect early examples of heraldic use.  So there are lots of descriptions and engravings of arms shown on tombstones, seals, and so on, making it a useful reference source.

His thoughts on what American heraldic practice ought to be are persuasive in some points, but on the other hand he seems to have accepted the British point of view that only people to whose ancestors arms had been granted by royal authority were entitled to bear them.  (He took for granted, apparently, that those who were using arms in the colonial period were entitled to them according to the English rules, which more recent scholarship has shown was not always the case.)

The latter half of the book is largely taken up with ecclesiastical seals—most of which are not armorial in design—the insignia of various patriotic lineage societies, and the seals of the states.  The very end has a primer on heraldry itself—tinctures, division lines, ordinaries, etc.

Scotus

Scotus
Total Posts:  322
Joined  13-05-2005

28 June 2006 15:50

Joseph is correct in regard to Zieber.  I would add, however, that it is a book worth having for a reference dealing with American heraldry.  His suggestions are quite sound, and I really like his work for the most part.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

28 June 2006 19:15

I thank you very much for your answers and advices. If you know any other enjoyable and stimulating introductions or treaties on US heraldry, please let me know…

Nicolas