Lindenwood University

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

30 September 2007 21:47

While my wife and I were attending the annual silent auction and luncheon for the Lindenwood University Alumni Association yesterday, I saw a sign with a nice emblazonment of my alma mater’s arms: per pale Azure and Gules a griffon passant between three crescents Argent.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/LU.jpg

These arms come from Major George Sibley. His wife Mary Easton Sibley founded the school in 1827 (originally as an all girls school). Both are buried in the family plot behind Sibley Hall, the oldest and (IMHO) most beautiful building on campus. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera with me at the time, but I will try to get by there in the next few days so I can post a picture of it.

Take care,

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

30 September 2007 23:28

My mother graduated from that school. I wonder if any of her graduation pictures have a nice shot of the arms.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

07 October 2007 22:03

Daniel, when did your mother graduate? My wife and I both graduated in 1998 and my mother-in-law is also an alum (1968 & 1990).

I still have yet to get by the clubhouse so I can post the afore-promised picture, as it has been a very busy week, but I’m still planning on doing so.

Take care,

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

07 October 2007 22:54

Well, she was a non-traditional student. She graduated in 2005 with a bachelor’s in communications, I believe. It took her almost 10 years of off and on classes.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

04 January 2008 17:08

I recently received a copy of the Lindenwood Connection (the alumni newsletter) and was pleasantly surprised to see on the cover a lovely picture of the newly invested university president, Dr. James Evans, sporting his presidential regalia including two nicely embroidered medallions of the university’s arms on his robes.  You can see a copy of the Connection here and if you scroll down to page 8, you can see more pictures of the same including one picture of the podium bearing a color emblazonment of the school’s arms.

Take care,