Assumption Catholic School Arms

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 June 2006 18:05

These are the arms I created for Assumption Catholic School. Aside from the knight’s helmet being too small, what do you think? - it is a knight’s helm because their mascot is the "Knights".

Motto: Pro Fides, Sapientia, Veneratio (For Faith, Wisdom and Respect).

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7240/assumptionschooltwo4rk.jpg

I could use some advice and especially on the motto, which I think is correct, but I can’t remember for certain…thanks.

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

28 June 2006 19:14

I think your heraldic artwork is really coming along.

I personally am not a fan of the cross to make a coat look quarterly where there really aren’t any quarters to be marshalled. With the exception of the molecule, the remaining charges in the quarters are predictable ones for pre-collegiate schools. I’m pretty sure mine had the winged foot and the theater masks.

It would be nice to see something that alludes to either the founding of the school, which apparently has been around since 1920, the nature of the assumption, or something that speaks directly to Catholic education. You could work in their burgundy school color either as a really dark Gules or select Murrey.

I understand about client needs and desires. In any profession, including mine, you cannot take client wishes lightly. However, your role as the professional is to guide the client to make the right choices, and help show them the possibilities. In any event, based on my reading of your posts and viewing your artwork, I know you are a bright, creative, individual who could come up with something really outstanding for the school.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

28 June 2006 20:12

I think I may have mentioned this before but the symbol usually associated with the Assumption is the star (five-pointed or more usually seven-pointed), not the fleur-de-lis. It seems odd that with so much in there you left out a symbol specific to Mary’s Assumption.

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

28 June 2006 22:34

For Faith, Wisdom and Respect translates into Latin as Pro Fides, Sapientia,

Veneratio.  But I am confused as to what quality or virtue you want to describe as "respect."  Respect may be described as admiration felt toward a person or thing. The quality of showing consideration toward a person. To give greetings.To have a deep reguard for.  Probably all these concepts probably ae covered by "veneratio."

Herein is my confusion.  My teacher’s college education and my work in a college leads me to believe the goal of education is to develop the mind to make sound judgements and wise decisions, and to prepare one for a skill, craft or otherwise known as vocational training. Maybe something along the line of "prepared" paratus.

Please describe for me what you are trying to convey as "respect."

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Joined  18-04-2006

28 June 2006 23:31

What do you think about Juvenal’s famous line:"mens sana in corpore sano."

A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 00:21

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 13:08

I’ve been looking around at some school arms and see that most don’t have a crest. So, should I do away with a crest all together? Or no?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 June 2006 14:07

I think I’d definitely do away with the helmet.  There are schools and colleges that have crests, but usually displayed on a torse directly above the shield, sort of like US Army unit coats of arms.

I know the school’s nickname is "Knights," and all that, but I increasingly find myself thinking that obvious armorial allusions to sports nicknames are kind of hokey.

Anyway, what would you think of doing some rearranging of the shield, getting rid of most of the standard "this is a school" charges and doing something like "Azure on a cross between two stars of eight points in chief Argent a fleur-de-lis of the field, over all in base an open book proper leathered Gules and edged Or, inscribed [with some suitable scriptural or theological sentiment about education, or Mary]"?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 15:29

Yep. I’m finding a lot of schools without a crest, or at least without the helmet. I will talk to father about this. It will be a way of keeping the school arms away from the sports mascot, which is a cool mascot being a former letterman (yes we had lettermen at this school when I went there - it was a great high school prep school).

Your arms idea is intriguing, as it uses the stars associated with the Assumption, as Fr. Guy noted some time ago, plus it will keep them happy with the fleur-de-lis still there and it would be more original without the traditional academic charges. Although…they might find that funny, as I fought to include those charges when father wanted only the cross and a fleur-de-lis. I will have to continue to draw up arms for this one…I want it to be perfect, as it is my alma mater and I am still involved with the school.

What does everyone else think of Joe’s idea? Hugh, it kind of goes to your point as well.

Sigh…the arms for the church were much easier to design and draw…the arms above are my 5th rendering of arms for them…it seems there is no end in sight for this one…oh well…all things for God…

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

29 June 2006 16:23

What about Azure a cross throughout Argent; overall at the fess point an open book Argent bound Or and charged with a fleur-de-lis and a star of seven ponts to dexter and sinister respectively Azure?

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

29 June 2006 17:02

I think both men’s ideas would achieve the goal of a distinctive CoA for the school.

Best,

Hugh

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

29 June 2006 18:23

May I suggest this ?

Azure, a cross flory Argent, overall an irradiated star Or vuided Azure.

Azure + Argent : school colors

Cross flory (=with fleurs de lys at its ends) : catholic faith, Christ and Mary,  (+discrete allusion to the knights, since many medieval knights had a cross on their shields)

Star Azure : Assumption

Star irradiated Or : Religion as a guide, Learning through light of knowledge,and Respect (it shines for everybody who sees it)

Star vuided : from Italian Coa

Nicolas

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Joined  18-04-2006

29 June 2006 18:57

Nicholas’s proposal symbolizes all the characteristics required for the arms quite well and succinctly.  It would be quite beatiful and symbolize the school well.  The question is - would the Administration go along with it?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 20:17

Quote:

The question is - would the Administration go along with it?

Boy is that ever the question. God bless them, as they have a job with very little pay and plenty of headaches from every side of the aisle and every personality trait one can imagine. Of course, as Fr. Peter says, it is the little things that God will smile on, so plenty of the little things and you will do His work. Of course I would not want to be either our vicar, our permanent deacon, our school principal, or a teacher (which he has asked me to be three times now! It is so hard to say no top a priest and I bet you Protestant fellas have a difficult time of it as well…I don’t know what it is…). I have a hard enough time being on the Parish Life Committee, the Bazaar Committee, and a Sports Committee volunteer. God bless them all, but getting them to agree on things is sometimes…very difficult.

I think I will design each of these suggestions on shields on a page and then post them here so everyone can see them and help me pick which one I want to show to father et al. Or, maybe I’ll just draw them all up and take them to father et al and let them decide and do up the final product when they are all set. Still, I will do it and place it here so I can get everyone’s ideas on it; you all have already been so helpful, so it is only right to draw them up and show ya.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. I do take it the consensus is to loose the crest? I’m about 90% sure I’m going to…looks too much like some knights arms this way…

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

29 June 2006 22:49

***I edited this post to show the colored sketches instead of the ink sketches I had here originally***

Hi Ian. Sorry I already made these ones up and bring them here. I can make one like Nicolas suggested but with a gules estoile. I’ll get back to that one later. smile

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

29 June 2006 23:06

I like all designs, but, prefer Nicolas’.

However, I am not keen on the voided estoile - especially voided blue on a blue field.

May I suggest an estoile gules.

Regards,

Iain Boyd