Ref "Coat of Arms First Draft"

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

23 January 2008 13:28

Jonathan R. Baker;53563 wrote:

Honestly, I prefer the design with the dexter pallets, as the maroon with the proper elephant screams Crimson Tide to me.  However, that may have more to do with my wife’s football loyalties than anything else.  As for the elephant sans tower and with the caparison charged, I like the idea.  It is unique, but again there are contrast issues with color on color.

lol…point taken smile

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

23 January 2008 13:51

What would be a good field on which to place the elephant with caparison?  It seems that if we keep it as simple as possible, but can increase the contrast to avoid issues there, the simple elephant would be a great look.  Any thoughts?

Kyle=

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

23 January 2008 14:02

well…I was playing around in photoshop again…here is what I came up with.  I haven’t done anything with just the head, so thought I would post and share.  I did not tincture the shield as I was waiting to see what feedback Kyle gets from the above post.  I think per chevron might resolve the color on color problem.

http://omega1.us/personal/new/head.jpg

PLUS…if I don’t keep posting this stuff, what else are you guys gonna do on the forum today smile

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

23 January 2008 15:09

Kyle MacLea;53571 wrote:

What would be a good field on which to place the elephant with caparison?  It seems that if we keep it as simple as possible, but can increase the contrast to avoid issues there, the simple elephant would be a great look.  Any thoughts?

Kyle=

Well, if you made the elephant Argent rather than gray and made the caparison Azure so it doesn’t blend with the shield, it might look good.

I’m still a fan of the roses and dexter pallets though.

I’m also guessing somewhere in heraldry someone just might have stuck an elephant on a red shield.  I’d be afraid of duplication.

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

23 January 2008 20:32

Like most of you I have been a fan of the "roses and dexter pallets" since I first saw it.  As you thumb through this thread you will see that even thou I liked that one a lot, I didn’t want to eliminate any combination without first seeing it and getting your opinions.  Thus I have continued to create variation with the same 3 charges in many different forms.

I have all of them printed (listed next to each other).  Well this evening, an authority that has as much power as the Queen in my house (my wife) spoke her feelings on it.

Much like many of you, her favorite is also the "roses and dexter pallets".  Feeling that it is simple, original and easily identifiable.  Three things I have learned (from your inputs) a COA should be.

I do not want to rush anything thou, so I plan on printing it and putting it up on the fridge for some evaluation.  If it is okay with everyone here, I will also use it as my avatar on this forum so I can view it a bit more.

Thank you all for your inputs, opinions, guidance and of coarse honesty.  If all goes well with the fridge/forum test, in time I will post a thread for discussion of the crest.  Best to take it one step at a time….yes I am still on step one smile

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

23 January 2008 20:49

A good choice, Terry - both on the arms and on listening to your boss, er, I mean wife. :D

You do want to take your time as this will be yours forever. I would also encourage you to use some clip art (or basic sketches) and, even without a crest, play around with a full achievement. I just did this and it resulted in my changing the tinctures of the charges on my shield. I don’t think I would have thought to do that had I not seen the whole thing together with the mantling. Just a suggestion.

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

23 January 2008 22:29

Quote:

I have all of them printed (listed next to each other). Well this evening, an authority that has as much power as the Queen in my house (my wife) spoke her feelings on it.

Much like many of you, her favorite is also the "roses and dexter pallets". Feeling that it is simple, original and easily identifiable. Three things I have learned (from your inputs) a COA should be.

Ahhhhhh be careful dear sir.  While many may agree with your spouse in this matter…you are in danger of being initiated into the Insufferable Order of the Unreasonable Wife.:p

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

23 January 2008 23:13

Hall/Perdue;53596 wrote:

Ahhhhhh be careful dear sir.  While many may agree with your spouse in this matter…you are in danger of being initiated into the Insufferable Order of the Unreasonable Wife.:p

lol….you have no idea how many times that thought has crossed my mind…oh wait, here she comes….I mean…..no…she is not unreasonable :D

Kidding….she just knows me too well.  She knows I will continue to question and re design something a million times when maybe just 50 would have done just as well.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

24 January 2008 01:06

Re the wife, smart man. wink

I like the roses and dexter pallets best also, BTW.

/Charles

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

24 January 2008 02:22

Hall/Perdue;53596 wrote:

Did we not do an entire thread on the IOUW?  Could have swore we did!

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

24 January 2008 06:45

Yes we did, and I’m still a proud member!  :D

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 January 2008 16:47

Terry,

First off, I’m glad to see you’re not rushing too fast into this and have decided to conduct the fridge and forum/avatar tests. :D

Thirdly, welcome, brother, to the IOUW. :fatlady:

Take care,