Latin help

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

21 December 2007 01:12

Well, there’s no clean translation, so I’ll give you various possibilities. The construction is grammatical, by the way: a neuter noun modified by a neuter adjective.

an (the) inspired/incited/arroused/impulsive council/meeting/advice

Basic gist of it an assembling of people or piece of advice that is… how should I say… spirited, whether that’s in a good way (e.g. inspired) or a bad way (e.g. impulsive), you decide.

Certain translations could work as a motto, but it doesn’t quite seem to do it for me. What was he trying to say?

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

22 December 2007 14:04

Dcgb7f;52441 wrote:

an (the) inspired/incited/arroused/impulsive council/meeting/advice

Basic gist of it an assembling of people or piece of advice that is… how should I say… spirited, whether that’s in a good way (e.g. inspired) or a bad way (e.g. impulsive), you decide.

Certain translations could work as a motto, but it doesn’t quite seem to do it for me. What was he trying to say?

Well… his translation of consilium instinctum is inspired purpose.

I understand that he did actually pay a translation service some small amount of money to come up with this… (though he may want his money back?)

Do you or any other latin scholars out there think this is a reasonable translation?

Perhaps not a great motto, but he was… uh, attached… enough to have it… uh, tattoed on his ankle.  So, even if it is not perfect, it probably would still be good for him in that vein.

On the other hand, if there were a slight modification that would use the same roots or ideas to arrive at a better motto, I would be all for that as well.  But I think the spirit of it would make a good motto for him.

8)  Kyle=

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 December 2007 15:32

In the same vein, eh?  Hope not!

Sounds like "impulsive advice" might be a better translation, if he had it tattooed on himself without being sure of what it meant.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

23 December 2007 01:33

"Inspired purpose" does work. I went back and check in my dictionary (my previous meanings of "consilium" were from memory) and in addition to council, and advice, consilium has other meanings along the lines of a deliberate action like a plan. Purpose does seem to fit into that definition, though I personally would have gone with something whose primary meaning is more along the lines of "aim."

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

23 December 2007 09:37

Joseph McMillan;52491 wrote:

In the same vein, eh?  Hope not!

Good point!

Joseph McMillan;52491 wrote:

Sounds like "impulsive advice" might be a better translation, if he had it tattooed on himself without being sure of what it meant.

Well, good old brother is nothing if not "impulsive" so there you go.  Perhaps there’s a little double meaning there, that, in good heraldic tradition, works on two levels.  wink

Kyle=

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

23 December 2007 09:38

Dcgb7f;52504 wrote:

"Inspired purpose" does work. I went back and check in my dictionary (my previous meanings of "consilium" were from memory) and in addition to council, and advice, consilium has other meanings along the lines of a deliberate action like a plan. Purpose does seem to fit into that definition, though I personally would have gone with something whose primary meaning is more along the lines of "aim."

Thanks for checking, I’m glad at least one person seems to think it is a plausible definition.  I’m open for better suggestions for the same/similar in a motto if anyone has any.

Anyway, thought I’d jump into the latin game a little here.  It’s an interesting language that I wish I knew more of.

Kyle=

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

07 February 2008 13:51

Another Latin help request:

"Inured to the extremes" (like someone who can withstand both hot and cold weather)

This one has me stumped.

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?extreme

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?inur

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?harden

duratus ut extrema?

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

08 February 2008 14:31

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I gather that the sense of what you’re trying to get across is "hardened (toughened) against the extremes" in the same sense that "against" has in the phrase "protected against the cold." If this is the case, I would go with "contra extrema" rather than "ut" or any a direct translation of "to." Prepositions are notorious for meaning different things in different contexts and in different languages.

As for "inured," "hardened," or "toughened," I’m not entirely sure about durare. It does seem to work at a certain level, but I’m wondering if a word like obdurare or perhaps indurare and condurare may not better convey the meaning. There are also those words based off the stem durescere (to become hard) that might fit. I’ll get back to you with my final opinion.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

09 February 2008 10:55

I don’t claim to be an expert Latinist, but let me suggest a less literal translation. What about IN EXTREMIS DURANS—literally, "in extremity, enduring"? For me, this expresses the idea of "enduring hardship" without the negative connotations of "becoming hardened."