The arms for Reverend Father Paul M. Parkerson

Alex Kurov

Alex Kurov
Total Posts:  35
Joined  24-05-2006

12 February 2008 17:16

Dear colleagues,

Let me introduce my new work. It is the arms for Reverend Father Paul M. Parkerson, USA.

Father Parkerson has informed me on himself, in particular: "My family was originally from Sweden and England and migrated to the New World in the 1740’s. My ancestors have fought in all the great early wars of this country including the American Revolution and the War between the States (on the southern side, of course). My background is Protestant, but I became a Roman Catholic in college deciding to enter the priesthood after the university. My fields of study were French, philosophy, and history".

However his personal feature which has caused my especial sympathy, is traditionalism. It is shown, in particular, in steady aspiration of Father Parkerson to revive a High Traditional Latin Mass. And in this aspiration the concept expressed in one of two his mottos especially was useful to him: "Melius frangi quam flecti"  (To be break is better than to be bent).

You can see first and main his motto in a picture. It is from Luke 5:39: "And no man drinking old, hath presently a mind to new: for he said, the old is better" (VETUS MELIUS EST).

It was the first arms for the Catholic priest which I has created as the author (in case of dear Father Guy Selvester I worked as the artist-interpreter only). And it was not easy! I have spent a lot of time for considering of various suitable motifs, but the push to a discovery has given me Father Parkerson when he has informed me (under my request) on one of the favorite Christian stories: it was the story of St. Francis and the wolf of Gubbio. This plot I have based on the arms composition.

Why? Because I wanted to reflect in the arms the credo of Father Parkerson – the traditionalism. But it is too extensive concept with set of components.

I think, if we cannot represent in the arms such all-embracing concept clearly (it is almost impossible), we should try to represent a certain concrete plot in which this universal concept is expressed practically. Differently (it is, maybe, not too successful example), if it is impossible to represent the love as those, we can represent pair the pigeons gently kissing each other by beaks. Thus the concept of the love will be shown in this concrete episode.

Therefore I suggest concentrating on one of aspects of his traditionalism. I think it is opposition to various destructive tendencies of modern times which threaten Churches and undermine Christian belief. I believe, my dear colleagues, inhabitants of the West, that each of you quite clearly imagines tendencies which I mean because every day can see them around. Therefore I shall not explain it more in detail.

My idea consists in that to treat symbolism of history of St. Francis and the wolf of Gubbio is wider. If I should give these arms a personal name, I would name them "The City besieged by the wolf ".

So, we have argent city in azure as universal symbol. The city can symbolize Heavenly City, Jerusalem, Rome as heart of Catholic Church, actually Catholic Church, or - in a more comprehensive sense - all our Christian civilization which is in danger of death. A lily as the symbol of the Mother of God and a sword with a key as St. Peter and St. Paul’s symbol do not require an explanation.

The wolf can symbolize the wolf of the Gubbio, who himself is a symbol (metaphor). But we put in it concrete symbolism which is: paganism, a predator menacing to Christian flock, wild passions and rage. In other words - destruction and evil, which is often covered by the sheep skin of care of "happiness of mankind". The wolf, prowl under city walls, also blocks the road leading in city.

I wrote to Father Parkerson: "I do not wish to illustrate literally the story of St. Francis and the wolf of Gubbio. It is widely known and there is a set of book illustrations and art pictures on this theme. Besides the literal illustration will limit our opportunities on creation of the universal symbolical concept that is my overall objective in heraldic art. Finally, it should be your arms but not a monument to St. Francis. Also I consider important to show only a task but not the decision, and therefore the literal illustration of the story of St. Francis and the wolf of Gubbio not too suits us. St. Francis has tamed the wolf of Gubbio, but the new wolf has appeared today and he only should be tamed!ยป.

So, you see result of my efforts here today. I welcome any comments and I shall try to answer possible questions.

http://www.excurs.ru/Parkerson-20.jpg

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

12 February 2008 17:26

Your artwork remains amazing.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

12 February 2008 17:30

Unfortunatly I could not see the picture in the link.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

12 February 2008 17:32

Very nice indeed!

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

12 February 2008 17:35

Marcus K;54274 wrote:

Unfortunatly I could not see the picture in the link.

I had to try twice- the first time it denied me permission, but I just hit refresh and it came up.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

12 February 2008 17:39
Alex Kurov

Alex Kurov
Total Posts:  35
Joined  24-05-2006

12 February 2008 17:51

Dear colleagues,

I offer the reduced (at a rate of and quality) picture of these arms because the better version can be inaccessible to some of you (I do not know why it happens).

And I ask all of you to not distribute this picture and the text of my explanatory for limits of our professional circle. Armiger has expressed his unwillingness that his arms were in public domain for the moment. I do not know why. Probably, he would like to register the arms before, because of fear of abduction. In any case, I do not consider myself limited in publications of my work among colleagues.

Probably, dear Father Selvester will give advice in occasion of registration of the arms of the Catholic priest?

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

12 February 2008 18:18

wow….very nice.  Your work is excellent Alex!

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

12 February 2008 20:11

Sweeeeet! as always.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

12 February 2008 20:45

Chapulin;54285 wrote:

Sweeeeet! as always.

My sentiments exactly! :D

Take care,

George Lucki

George Lucki
Total Posts:  644
Joined  21-11-2004

12 February 2008 20:52

Alex,

Extraordinary artwork and I must also commend the way in which you have chosen the symbolism.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

12 February 2008 23:09

Amazing artwork as usual Alex.  Beautiful color and symbolism.  I don’t believe I have ever seen a city used as a charge before.  Very inventive.  Could you post the blazon?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

12 February 2008 23:17

Very beautiful.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

12 February 2008 23:34

Alex, your artistic work is exceptional, as usual.  But I really appreciate you including the rationale behind the designs, as I find it intriguing to know the reasoning behind the arms.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

13 February 2008 01:27

Alex, your work, as always, is awe-inspiring!  I will only comment on one thing that captures my attention:  the style of shield you chose to compliment the placement of the charges.  The unifying effect it has on the whole is remarkable, especially in regard to the two smaller charges at dexter chief and sinister chief (with the Church tower in center / honor chief).  Well done!

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

13 February 2008 04:44

looks beautiful smile