(Obscure?) Fields of division

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

24 March 2008 00:06

I was browsing through "The Oxford Guide to Heraldry", and came across some fields of division that I am unfamiliar with:

http://www.dcroe.com/images/frenchpartitionssmall.png

click image for larger view

The fields that I am interested in are the ones NOT shaded red.  The image description indicates that the entire image is of "English and French lines of partition," and the image isn’t of a high enough resolution for me to read the handwriting included.

I would be very interested in knowing the terms for these divisions.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

24 March 2008 02:45

Try going to heraldica.org and looking through the illustrated atlas. It has many heraldic terms.

Hope that helps any.

Cheers,

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

24 March 2008 10:09

MohamedHossam;55987 wrote:

Try going to heraldica.org and looking through the illustrated atlas.

Mohamed,

Thank you for the link.  That will be a great help.  However, in this case I was only able to find one of the designs in question:

According to heraldica.org the angular one that looks like interlocked tetris pieces is termed "quarterly en equerre", and after looking through another book I had found it termed "von tale".

However, I was unable to find the other 5.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

24 March 2008 10:37

Sorry, I’m not at home, but Slater’s book shows at least some of these division, plus a few more. Most of them have German names (as in possibly the names of the Germans who bore them) and otherwise he says that they are not divisions that are normally met with in English heraldry.

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

24 March 2008 10:42

Hi,

There is a pretty good chance that I am wrong, but the top one looks like a chape ploye division and the second one looks like chausse ploye division to me.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

24 March 2008 11:39

Patrick Williams;55998 wrote:

...Slater’s book shows at least some of these division, plus a few more…

Do you know which Slater book?  I have "The complete book of heraldry: An international history of heraldry and its contemporary uses", and this is the one where I found the squared one called "von tale", but though it lists other uncommon variations it doesn’t have any of the other in question.

If, however, you are referring to "Living Heraldry" or "The World Encyclopedia of Flags & Heraldry", I have yet acquire those books.

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

24 March 2008 11:50

Terry;55999 wrote:

There is a pretty good chance that I am wrong, but the top one looks like a chape ploye division and the second one looks like chausse ploye division to me.

Terry,

Thanks for the info.  With the names you gave me a quick google search turned up this page, which confirms your answer.  So now I can surmise that ployé is a sort of convex variation of a field, which should make the third one much easier to determine.

Now all that’s left are those wavy ones.

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

24 March 2008 13:29

Hi Dale,

As per the second to last one…according to the reference below it is referred to as a ÉCARTELÉ EN ÉQUERRE.  I don’t know what or if there is an English heraldry version or not.

Linky

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

24 March 2008 13:44

As per the two rounded off ones.  I am still unable to figure out the first words, but I can make out "arrondis" which IIRC translates to "Roundings"  Still trying to figure out the first part…but it might be saying something like gyronny of four "rounded"

just a thought…

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

24 March 2008 13:58

Arrondis does indeed mean rounded and is also referred to as arronde(e) by some. You are also correct in that they are Gyronny of three and four respectively.

A nice example for gyronny of three arrondis can be seen here

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

24 March 2008 14:00

dcroe05;56001 wrote:

Do you know which Slater book?  I have "The complete book of heraldry: An international history of heraldry and its contemporary uses", and this is the one where I found the squared one called "von tale", but though it lists other uncommon variations it doesn’t have any of the other in question.

If, however, you are referring to "Living Heraldry" or "The World Encyclopedia of Flags & Heraldry", I have yet acquire those books.

I was thinking of that book. Unfortunately my memory was a little off!

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

24 March 2008 16:28

This thread just caught my eye. There is something rather amusing in the word obscure being used to define one portion of heraldry rather than the entire subject.

Using various heraldry books, I identified most of the partition lines in question. From top to bottom the lines are:

Chapé-ployé (French: chappé arrondi)¹

Chaussé-ployé (French: chaussé arrondi) ¹

Unidentified

Gyronny of three arrondi

Quarterly en equerre sinister (French: écartelé en équarre contourné)²

Quarterly gyronny arrondi

¹ Diderot & d’Alembert. L’Encylopedie Art Héraldique Paris, France: 1751

² Starodutsev, Nikolai. Illustrirovannyi Slovar po Geraldike (Illustrated Dictionary of Heraldry). Donetsk, Ukraine: AO Izdatelstvo, 1996

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Joined  19-03-2008

25 March 2008 09:56

Thank you all for you comments and help.