Internet Book Resource

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

25 March 2008 06:45

Hello all.  I have been lurking here for a while, paging through the subforums, which has been very educational.  Nice to see some familiar shields, too (I have been designing arms with the invaluable aid of the helpful people at the IAAH forum).

Anyway, I mentioned this link there, and several people thought it was very good, so I thought I would put it out here, too.

Some of you may already know about this, but for those who do not, the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org) has a book/text section where you can find all sorts of items which have been uploaded by libraries, or through Project Gutenberg.

A search for "heraldry" (http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=heraldry) brings up dozens of items (and obviously you can change the search if you want), ranging from the multi-volume Encyclopedia Heraldica, to Matthews American Armoury to several volumes in, among other languages, French and German, and there is much more. Many of these texts are probably very hard to find, and here they can all be downloaded for free, and either viewed on your computer, or printed out for convenience.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

25 March 2008 10:49

Thanks, David, and welcome to the AHS.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

25 March 2008 11:45

Welcome to the boards, David. And thank you for the link. I’ll give it a try later.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

26 March 2008 05:37

Welcome to our humble forum, David!  Those are interesting arms.  Is there a story behind them?

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

26 March 2008 10:44

"Thank you"s and "you’re welcome"s to all, as appropriate. smile

Yes, Stephen, there is a story behind the arms, but I don’t know that this thread is the right place for the discussion.  What subforum should I put it in? Heraldic Design or Introduction?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

26 March 2008 11:58

David E. Cohen;56156 wrote:

Yes, Stephen, there is a story behind the arms, but I don’t know that this thread is the right place for the discussion.  What subforum should I put it in? Heraldic Design or Introduction?

I would think either would be appropriate.