Opinions?

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

29 June 2006 16:31

In a fit of spending (not too much as I did this all through Alibris) I ordered several books. Has anyone heard of these or perhaps owns a copy? can you tell me what to expect? have I wasted my money or are at least some of these worth it?

Heraldic Designs by Fox-Davies

Scotland’s Heraldic Heritage: the Lion Rejoicing (Discovering Historic Scotland Ser. ) by Burnett & Dennis

Heraldic Imagination by Dennys

National Heraldry of the World by Briggs

The Royal Arms by Hasler

English Heraldry by Boutell

The Queen’s Orders of Chivalry by De La Bere

Modern Crusaders by Blasco

The Knights of Malta by Sire

The English Ceremonial Book: a History of Robes, Insignia and Ceremonies Still in Use in England by Milton

Heraldry in England by Wagner

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 June 2006 17:15

English Heraldry by Boutell sounds like the original edition of what we know as Boutell’s Heraldry (duh).  Should be interesting to compare and see what successive editors (mostly from the official heraldic establishment, which Boutell himself was not) grafted onto the original.

The Heraldic Imagination, by Dennys, is very entertaining.  As part of his discussion of what heralds did and do, he covers a lot of what we nowadays think of as silly symbolism (of colors and so on) and shows that it wasn’t purely an invention of late heraldic writers—practicing heralds in the Middle Ages bought into it long before.  The last half of the book, roughly, is taken up with divine and celestial beings (the arms of Our Lord and Our Lady, images of Mary herself, some saints, angels, archangels, cherubim and seraphim), and then fantastic creatures, of which Dennys provides an extensive catalogue, including some of the really obscure ones.

Isn’t the Fox-Davies book the enormous volume crammed with examples of heraldic art?  If so, I’ve looked at it in the library…it’s a masterpiece of its time, but it’s striking how dated even the more modern (as of circa 1900) artwork is, while the Victorian examples are, well, Victorian.  But some of what must have seemed totally outmoded to contemporary readers, such as the neo-classically influenced achievements of the Regency period, now seem (to me, at least) kind of sleek and elegant.

Eagerly awaiting your reviews of your haul.

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

29 June 2006 17:27

I own three of the titles on your list:

Heraldic Designs by Fox-Davies

Heraldic Imagination by Dennys

The Knights of Malta by Sire

I have found these three to be both useful and a good value.

Sire’s Knights of Malta includes a small color plate of a beautiful painting of the Seize Quartiers of the current Grand Master.  I think a larger version of this same image will be reproduced in the new Burke’s World Orders of Knighthood and Merit book.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

29 June 2006 17:43

Joe and Father Guy,

I think that even "English Heraldry" is the second or third incarnation of the book that Boutell published in the early 1860s. The 1867 edition of "English Heraldry" can be read online at THIS PAGE if you want to compare yourself with the version of the book that we know today. It’s been edited by a lot of folks in the last 140 years. Other than that, I’ve only ever heard the names of the books. I look forward to Father Guy’s reviews, as well. Have a blessed day.

—dave—

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

29 June 2006 19:18

Fr. Guy wrote:

Scotland’s Heraldic Heritage: the Lion Rejoicing (Discovering Historic Scotland Ser. ) by Burnett & Dennis

As I recall, this little book follows along the path of Sir Ian Montcrieffe & Don Pottinger’s wee tome, Simple Heraldry, with a few light-hearted illustrations here and there.  It is a good primer and—of course—Mark Dennis’ illustrations make the purchase worthwhile.

I have it at home and if no one else can offer a beter description, I’ll pull it off the shelf after I get home and have a closer look.