Forum Feature: Ignore and Buddy Lists

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 April 2008 22:43

I have received a couple questions about the Buddy and Ignore list features and how to use them.

Buddy List

The buddy list is used to keep track of your friends and favorite posters.  To see your buddy list, go to "Quick Links" and click on "Open Buddy List," which allows you to send private messages to multiple friends at the same time. You may add any member of this board to your buddy list by clicking on the user’s name in a user’s post or on the members list.

Ignore List*

The ignore lists is used for those people whose messages you do not want to read.  You might want to add someone to your ignore list if they leave too many trivial posts (like thank you’s, you’re welcome’s, etc.) , if they frequently leave long-winded posts that are hard to read, if they frequently leave posts that are irrelevant or off-topic, or if they leave "hot-headed" posts.  By adding someone to your ignore list, all messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.  Use this feature sparingly, since the thread may not make sense if most posts are hidden!  (*Note: This feature is not intended for moderators, who must read the good, the bad, and the ugly posts.  You can not ignore a moderator or administrator, you are stuck with us.)

I hope that helps!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

03 April 2008 12:49

so, for clarification purposes only, if i wanted to ignore someone who just happened to also be a board member/governor, or whatever the right title is, i could not? not that i am Mr. Swanson, but just not sure i understand what you said exactly.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

03 April 2008 13:41

As a moderator, Michael is saying I should not use this option; it would be impossible for me to moderate a thread if I were unable to read all the posts in that thread.  By the same token, Mr. Snofulakagus (an imaginary member who constantly breaks the forum rules) cannot "ignore" me (as a moderator), else he would be unable to read any "warnings" which I may need to post to him.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

03 April 2008 14:30

Thank you for responding Rev. Henry.

Does that mean that he (you) could not send a PM to the person (Mr. Snufa…whatever that was lol) who ignored him?

Wouldn’t the moderators privileges supersede the ignore list in that case, or do I have that wrong?

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

04 April 2008 02:46

Sorry, Denny, I deal mostly with people, not ‘puters.  wink  Uh, Michael….clean up on aisle 16… :confused:

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

04 April 2008 07:47

Donnchadh;56697 wrote:

Does that mean that he (you) could not send a PM to the person (Mr. Snufa…whatever that was lol) who ignored him?

No. It does not affect PMs.

Donnchadh;56697 wrote:

Wouldn’t the moderators privileges supersede the ignore list in that case, or do I have that wrong?

The software allows moderators to use the ignore list.  The software does not allow regular users to ignore posts of moderators and administrators.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

04 April 2008 17:42

thanx Rev. Henry. i appreciate it. smile

Mr. Swanson, thanx. how the software worked on that why i was asking. everything seemed so advanced with the rest of the software, so i thought it surely could "ignore" an "ignore for a mod. trying to contact a member/guest. thanx again.