Sheriff’s badges

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

17 April 2008 17:01

On another Forum I came across the question why Sheriffs have badges in form of stars of varied points. Does anybody here know why?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

17 April 2008 18:13

Marcus K;57443 wrote:

On another Forum I came across the question why Sheriffs have badges in form of stars of varied points. Does anybody here know why?

Marcus,

I found this on the official Texas Ranger site:
Quote:

The circle-star badge is believed to be related to the adoption of the state seal. A letter written by Charles B. Stewart in 1835, now in the Texas State Archives, states that he used a pearl button in the shape of a five-pointed star to make an impression in wax as the first state seal. This was during the convention of Texans who met to proclaim their independence from Mexico. They also sent three men, Sam Houston, John Cameron and John Forbes to parlay, with the Indians. The impromptu-wax seal created by Stewart, who served as secretary of the convention, was on their commissions.

As Stewart stated it in his letter of 1835, the star is "A fitting emblem of a new star arisen-in the galaxy of states (nations)." Thus, marked the beginning of a five-pointed star officially accepted in the flag of the "Lone Star State," and the first state law enforcement badge.

So perhaps the Texas Rangers are responsible for for the five-pointed star.  Dunno about the six-pointed star; perhaps as a variation?

—Guy

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

17 April 2008 18:20

Possible answer:

http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070829195209AAPblUm

Quote:

...based on the Star Medallions of Chivalric Orders…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 April 2008 18:24

I’d be interested in evidence as to when the Texas Rangers started wearing star badges.  My guess is that the United States marshals would have had a greater influence over a wider territory (since they were the primary law enforcement presence in pre-statehood territories in the West.  They were apparently using five-pointed stars by the 1880s.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/history/badges/05.jpg

The Marshals Service website has more history.  http://www.usmarshals.gov/history/badges/index.html

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

17 April 2008 18:31

Here’s another viewpoint, from a badge-maker; though, he provides no sources or dates:
Quote:

Some of the earliest known American law enforcement badges were found in the larger East Coast cities. These followed the example of their English predecessors and were rayed stars as can be found in the first issue Boston and Baltimore badges. They were totally custom die-struck pieces, based on the Star Medallions of Chivalric Orders with raised lettering and the armorial bearings or seal of their City. These were well suited to the larger and financially well off Municipal Departments. As smaller Cities and Towns began to institute their own agencies to supplement the County Sheriff’s Offices, a more cost-effective solution was sought.

http://www.starpacker.com/news.shtml

This site says the modern LE badge can be traced back to mid 1800s England:
Quote:

There’s no clear definition of what constitutes a badge. Various heraldic devices and weaponry could be said to be badges, at least in the context we think of a badge today. But most badge collectors point to mid-1800s England as the birthplace of the "modern" law-enforcement badge.

In the United States, the first law-enforcement badges were issued in 1845 in both New York and Philadelphia. The New York badge was an eight-pointed copper star (representing the first eight paid security "watchers" from the Dutch Era of the City, 1610 to 1664), and the Philadelphia version was oval and made from brass.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

17 April 2008 18:34

Since Texas has been a point of discussion, here is a five pointed badge presented to me by a Galvaston County Court judge:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7947/texasbadgesc7.jpg

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

17 April 2008 18:44

Thank you all for your answers. Appearently there seems to be a number of sources for the origin of the Sheriff Star.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

17 April 2008 18:47

Joseph McMillan;57456 wrote:

I’d be interested in evidence as to when the Texas Rangers started wearing star badges.  My guess is that the United States marshals would have had a greater influence over a wider territory (since they were the primary law enforcement presence in pre-statehood territories in the West.  They were apparently using five-pointed stars by the 1880s.

The way I read the earlier-posted Texas Ranger article, Stewart was making the (tenuous?) point that since the star seal was on the 1835 commissions authorizing the three representatives to parley with the Indians, that early use of the star—as a symbol of authority—was the first use of a star as a "law enforcement" symbol.  Most early Texas Rangers did not wear a badge.  The earliest authenticated Texas Ranger badge is circa 1889:

http://www.texasranger.org/history/images/Badge1.jpg

Quote:

Photographs taken in the 1870s through the 1920s show that there was a great variety of badges and that comparatively few Rangers wore badges.

http://www.texasranger.org/history/HistoricBadges.htm

Anyway, Stewart’s thesis is sounder than "it’s what Knight’s used".  :D

—Guy

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

17 April 2008 18:50

This is kind of an interesting link.  It doesn’t give a ton of history but it does shows the chronology of badges with various departments throughout the country.

http://www.policeguide.com/Timeline_of_American_Police/timeline_of_american_police.html

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

17 April 2008 19:26

Terry;57466 wrote:

This is kind of an interesting link.

Nice link, Terry.

Here’s an image of Ben Thompson.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oldwest/BenThompson2-500.jpg

Don’t know where it was made or when it is dated, but it appears to be 1880s. [note: he was the Austin city marshal from 1881-1882]  He was killed 11 March 1884:

http://www.knottingley.org/images/thompsonben2.jpg

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 April 2008 19:46

I did a little more looking and found out I was probably wrong.  The New York Police Department issued its first badges in the 1840s, and sure enough the main element was a star, although of 8 points.

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

18 April 2008 06:58

I’ve noticed on many American TV shows that city police vehicles often have 7-pointed star badges on their doors.  Is there any actual system that specifies a specific number of points for specific categories of law enforcement organisations?

Re the British police badge:  it seems to have originated as a helmet plate, as worn by London "bobbies" on their helmets, and to have been modeled on Army helmet plates, many of which were 8-pointed stars with the top point covered by the crown.  This crowned star type badge was also used in South Africa, the crown being removed in 1957 in preparation for the coming republic.  To this day, the SA Police Service wears an 8-pointed cap badge, and members now also wear the badge on their chests rather like US policemen.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

18 April 2008 09:32

Arthur Radburn;57479 wrote:

I’ve noticed on many American TV shows that city police vehicles often have 7-pointed star badges on their doors.  Is there any actual system that specifies a specific number of points for specific categories of law enforcement organisations?

In the states of Florida and Ohio, the five pointed star is used by the county sheriff’s departments and the shield is used by municipal police departments. Though I could be wrong, I believe that most star badges not associated with the county level tend to be used west of the Mississippi River for example: five point star: Alaska Sate Police, Texas Rangers, Texas Highway Patrol; six points: Arkansas Highway Patrol; seven points: California Highway Patrol, Nevada State Police, Wyoming State Police.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 April 2008 16:32

Only anecdotal & fragmented memories, but my impression here (Calif) is that six-pointed stars (as badges & on patrol cars) are generally used by county sheriffs and deputies; seven-pointed stars by the California Highway Patrol and some (maybe most) city police forces; and shield-shaped badges in other cities.  (On patrol cars, some cities don’t use stars or badges, but most do.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

19 April 2008 08:01

David Pritchard;57484 wrote:

In the states of Florida and Ohio, the five pointed star is used by the county sheriff’s departments and the shield is used by municipal police departments. Though I could be wrong, I believe that most star badges not associated with the county level tend to be used west of the Mississippi River for example: five point star: Alaska Sate Police, Texas Rangers, Texas Highway Patrol; six points: Arkansas Highway Patrol; seven points: California Highway Patrol, Nevada State Police, Wyoming State Police.

Actually, the only place where you’re wrong on this one is Alaska. The original Alaska Highway Patrol used a star, but all sworn officers in Alaska (regardless of type) since statehood use a shield surmounted by a grizzly bear. As Alaska has no counties, there are no sheriffs. There now are State Troopers and local Police Departments. And, of course, the sworn officers of the court system.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

19 April 2008 09:15

Patrick Williams;57521 wrote:

Actually, the only place where you’re wrong on this one is Alaska. The original Alaska Highway Patrol used a star, but all sworn officers in Alaska (regardless of type) since statehood use a shield surmounted by a grizzly bear.

Are you faulting me for being forty-nine years out of date? The nerve of you!