Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

20 June 2008 20:14
Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

20 June 2008 20:58

I think "rather" is a bit of an understatement.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

20 June 2008 21:09

americans love brandishing the symbols of our nation anywhere

from napkins that we wipe our mouths to shirts that we sweat in

i see it no worse than this

http://www.bmeink.com/miniport/A60904/high/bmepb347503.jpg

and that man thinks he is patriotic for inking his skin in our symbols, then doing whatever labours and carnal things to disgrace them

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

20 June 2008 21:24

xanderliptak;59530 wrote:

and that man thinks he is patriotic for inking his skin in our symbols, then doing whatever labours and carnal things to disgrace them

I’m afraid to look at that link and find out -where- he has them tattooed….

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

20 June 2008 21:27

At least they got the Latin right. It would have been hilarious if they hadn’t.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

20 June 2008 21:28

I think it’s a clever use of an excellent logo (the one he’s been using all along) incorporated into a presidential "looking" seal.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

20 June 2008 21:30

Madalch;59531 wrote:

I’m afraid to look at that link and find out -where- he has them tattooed….

haha just on his back. no nudity in the photo, i assure you.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

20 June 2008 21:41

I can see why this might be viewed as arrogance. But really, it could be just good campaign strategy/psychology. Sort of like hanging a picture of some buff guy on your refrigerator to help motivate you to make good choices about what you eat. (I will spare any of you psychologists the effort and point out that it is also theorized that if you post a picture of a fat person, it might remind you of what you don’t want to be.)

My point is, some people will vote for someone who looks more presidential.

I’m talking, of course, about the fellow with the tattoos :-D

Now, had he actually used the seal of the President of the United States… then I might think less of him.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 June 2008 23:23

Madalch;59528 wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//080620/480/003d2c72499f41c39003beeac3b60770/

I see this as rather disrespectful.

How exactly is this disrespectful Darren? To whom is it disrespectful? Whatever your answer may be, Sen. Obama’s logo can hardly be as disrespectful to the American people and the principles that have governed this nation for well over 200 years as the present administration’s constant violation of the United States Constitution. The Constitution, may I remind you, holds a similar position in our country as the Sovereign does in Canada. It is to be supported and upheld at all times to do otherwise is a crime against the nation.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

20 June 2008 23:30

gselvester;59533 wrote:

I think it’s a clever use of an excellent logo (the one he’s been using all along) incorporated into a presidential "looking" seal.

I could not agree more Father Guy. It shows some ingenuity in my opinion. Sadly the Presidential Seal and the flag of our nation have served as props and cover for the malfeasance of the present regime. I would support at least some changes to the Presidential Seal should Senator Obama be elected just to put some distance and differentiation between himself and his rogue predecessor. May be the national flag could be changed back to the original flag, with its thirteen stars in a circle to show our return to the founding principles of our nation.

Madalch

Madalch
Joined  30-09-2005

20 June 2008 23:41

David Pritchard;59540 wrote:

How exactly is this disrespectful Darren? ... The Constitution, may I remind you, holds a similar position in our country as the Sovereign does in Canada. It is to be supported and upheld at all times to do otherwise is a crime against the nation.

Well, in Canada, it’s illegal to use the arms or crown of the Queen, or anything that may be mistaken for such, in advertising or a logo of any sort.  I’d expect that changing the presidential seal into one’s own campaign logo would be the same sort of thing.

Not being an American, I won’t breathe a word of my opinions regarding any of your administrations on this forum (be they current, past, or possibly-in-the-future), as they are off topic (and if they weren’t, my opinion would carry the least weight).

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

20 June 2008 23:42

Celeste a plate, overall a base enarched and enhanced to fess point Gules thereon a gemel enarched, narrowed in sinister, and shifted to sinister Argent.

Any ideas on the blazon?

http://dottiefordelegate.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/obama-logo.107122326_std.png

http://www.sff.net/people/raymund/uploaded_images/Obama-logo-712385.jpg

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

21 June 2008 00:12

His more ‘presidential’ logo looks to me as if it were the coat of arms of the Republic of Obamaland. :D

Personally I see it as a bit cocky, but that’s not so much from a heraldic as political point of view.

Cheers,

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

21 June 2008 01:37

Danger!  Danger, Will Robinson!

Political content invading the forum. wink

/Charles

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 June 2008 01:41

It is not clever at all. It is a base, cheap trick - a political prank if you will. Many politicians, either side of the aisle, stoop to these levels of pandering and trickery.

It is bad form certainly, as Darren rightly points out, and not clever at all. It is nothing more than an a-typical political move one comes to expect from any candidate for election from either party.

What is bad form is allowing politics, or worse, to overshadow what heraldic merits there is in this thread and in Darren’s initial post - and there is one.

I am not of as high a moral character as Darren by and large, so I will say in his defense, since he chose the high road, that Darren is hardly someone I would classify as a supporter of the current administration (not regime) by and large. His point was ONLY his observance of this as foul.

How do I know this? I am a conservative and a Republican - proud to be both - and I have never seen Darren at any of our secret meetings where we plan to take over the world with Iraq being our first battle-front and rip off the everyday man by fleecing him with high gas prices and escalating mortgages that we made those people sign on their own ... all things I’ve heard we conservatives are all about lately. wink - gotta love an election year! Oi!!

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Joined  06-06-2008

21 June 2008 02:44

I agree with Madalch and Denny.  Arms should not be adopted for the similarity, and especially to be used for such a political and brief time.  In Canada and England, such a thing would be punishable by imprisonment.  And covering the escutcheon with his "O" emblem is in no way creative.  One woulc imagine the conversation going something to the effect of,

-"Um, how can we make you look presidential?"

"I know lets use the presidential seal!"

-"We can’t, there is a law that only the sitting president can."

"Okay lets change it."

-"How?"

"Let’s cover that shield looking thingy."

-"Brilliant!"