Joined  26-02-2005

30 July 2008 22:31

This is a great design!

Dale Challener Roe

Dale Challener Roe
Total Posts:  453
Joined  19-03-2008

30 July 2008 22:39

I’d love to be able to take credit for more of the design, but my contributions were limited to requiring the number 4, and using counterchanging.  Although Sandy and I went back and forth with a couple of designs the final arms are very similar to his original suggestion (which used an ascending dove in place of the poppy).  I’m not a fan of the dove as a symbol of peace, and after some discussions we settled the poppy.

The crest was all Sandy.  All I said was I didn’t want a Phoenix.  I was quite pleased with what he came up with.  And as much as I liked the idea for the crest, the picture in my head wasn’t nearly as good as Terry’s rendering.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

30 July 2008 22:52

Dale Challener Roe;61501 wrote:

Arms:

Per Pale Sanguine and Argent, a Poppy ensigned in Chief by four Mullets in Fess enarched all counterchanged

A quibble about the blazon: The description "in Chief four Mullets in Fess enarched" is rather confusing. Reading it, I wonder whether the mullets are in chief or in fess. To me, in fess says that the mullets are in the position of a fess, i.e. arranged horizontally (enarched) across the middle of the shield.

Would it not be better to say: "Per pale Sanguine and Argent a Poppy below four Mullets in chief enarched counterchanged"?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

30 July 2008 23:18

I believe "in Fess" simply means in a horizontal line, i.e. in the direction of the Fess, as opposed where the Fess lies on the shield.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

30 July 2008 23:39

That’s true, but as the stars are not "in fess" (in a horizontal line), it is, as Fr. Byers says, confusing.  How about "a poppy beneath an arc of four stars [palewise] counterchanged"?  "Palewise" to be included only if there’s a feeling that "an arc" suggests each star being tilted to have one point directly away from the poppy.

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

31 July 2008 03:22

The stars are not in fess. They are in Fess enarched.

If the blazoning is too difficult to grasp: Per pale Sanguine and Argent, a Poppy ensigned [seeded] by an arch of four Mullets all counterchanged.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

31 July 2008 04:57

A fantastic concept. Well done to all concerned. I’ll put up with the use of Sanguine because the good points of the design well outweigh its use.

Like a number of people I’m not convinced by the blazon. In particular the use of only four stars makes getting the curve needed for enarched difficult - they appear to me to be in chevron, though admittedly a shallow one. I appreciate that the number can’t be changed.

I’m a great believer that the best heraldry is where the blazon can be accurately represented by any half competent artist and an accurate blazon can be derived from a competent representation. Despite the depiction being more than competent I can’t get enarched from it without being told.

The following is awkward but complete and is how I would blazon it from the depiction.

Per pale Sanguine and Argent a poppy seeded of the field and in chief four stars those in dexter chief in bend sinister those in sinister chief in bend all counterchanged

James