Obama’s Campaign Logo

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

25 August 2008 18:20

i do not think this is trying to be an achievement.  yet, rather, his campaign logo with distinctly american symbols surrounding it.  a way to have the look of presidential arms without having presidential arms.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

27 August 2008 13:50

MohamedHossam;62644 wrote:

The motto is correct. I think the eagle might be facing the wrong way, maybe?

Cheers,

I found it funny that someone chattering about it online (yes, I know…) referred to it as "the fleeing eagle"...

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

27 August 2008 14:04

I think it’s an attractive logo.

Although, is this entire design actually a logo? I would call his O symbol the logo… the whole thing seems too ethereal to be a logo and is more likely used as a background for a website or desktop wall paper. If this is the case, I approve of it even more.

I don’t think these should be viewed as amateur attempts to play with heraldry. They are just for branding purposes. In fact, I don’t think they’re amateurs at all. I have no doubt that some top graphic designers were brought in to work on this. Regarding the Eagle…. it may have been done on purpose. A left facing eagle would be appropriate for a Democrat.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

27 August 2008 14:39

You are correct that the logo is simply the O image.

http://www.barackobama.com/static/Logos_Taglines/O_Logomark/4color/obama_4color_omark.jpg

Then the accompanying wordmark, Obama ‘08.

http://www.barackobama.com/static/Logos_Taglines/Obama/4color/obama_4color_wordmark.jpg

I’m sure now we’ll see the wordmark Obama Biden in some form or other. The rest of that stuff is fluff and certainly not an attempt at heraldry.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

31 August 2008 21:22

http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/ArmigerousAmericansforObama

It seems to be an approved group on the official website… and it is not my doing…

[ATTACH]517[/ATTACH]

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

31 August 2008 22:00

Ya know, as a coat of arms it ain’t half bad. Maybe if he gets elected he could be convinced to use a coat of arms designed after his now famous logo?

Does anyone know if Sen. McCain, who comes from a naval family, is armigerous?

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

31 August 2008 22:27

gselvester;62969 wrote:

Ya know, as a coat of arms it ain’t half bad.

Then I offer you the challenge of blazoning it.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

01 September 2008 00:27

Madalch;62971 wrote:

Then I offer you the challenge of blazoning it.

Per fess enarched Azure and Gules, in chief a demi-plate issuant from the line of division, in base two bars enarched Argent the bars on the sinister side enhanced and diminished.

Could this be one way to blazon it?

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

01 September 2008 01:11

Michael Swanson;62972 wrote:

Per fess enarched Azure and Gules, in chief a demi-plate issuant from the line of division, in base two bars enarched Argent the bars on the sinister side enhanced and diminished.

Could this be one way to blazon it?

I tip my cap to you. That’s impressive.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

01 September 2008 11:36

There are people to challenge, and people not to challenge.  I think we know which of these Mr. Swanson is.

Well done, Michael.

I suspect that people from the Campaign have "snoops" out there in cyberspace looking for every new mention of the name.

I’m curious who the 2 members of it are.  Waste of time for me to join, since I can’t donate to any of the four Campaigns, and can’t vote.

But I would like a bumper sticker.  You have any idea how valuable it could be in a hundred years?

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

01 September 2008 20:10

Doug Welsh;62985 wrote:

I’m curious who the 2 members of it are.

I could think of a couple of folks…..

Quote:

But I would like a bumper sticker.  You have any idea how valuable it could be in a hundred years?

Hopefully, as much as a William Jennings Bryan one is worth today :D

tmp617

tmp617
Total Posts:  111
Joined  19-09-2007

01 September 2008 20:47

Michael Swanson;62968 wrote:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/ArmigerousAmericansforObama

It seems to be an approved group on the official website… and it is not my doing…

[ATTACH]517[/ATTACH]

There’s also a facebook group:

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=28947612410&ref=mf

I’m the third member on facebook and the third member on the official Obama page.  I have my suspects for the other two….

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

01 September 2008 22:15

Doug Welsh;62985 wrote:

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.cafepress.com/armsObama

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

03 September 2008 19:52

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

04 September 2008 12:11

gselvester;62969 wrote:

Ya know, as a coat of arms it ain’t half bad. Maybe if he gets elected he could be convinced to use a coat of arms designed after his now famous logo?

I respectfully disagree. To me it appears little more than a logo – a good one – placed on a shield. I don’t see that as good heraldry in any manner. As a logo, however, I find it very nice as it is simple, clean and full of the symbolism that the Obama crowd wants associated with their candidate. So quite good in that respect as a logo. Just not as a coat of arms; I just can’t accept that as good heraldry no matter who does it…school, private corp., or presidential campaign/supporters. But, that is me.

Quote:

Does anyone know if Sen. McCain, who comes from a naval family, is armigerous?

I can’t find anything online about his family being armigers. Unfortunately, however, I did find this: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=299452586&colorNo=0&pr=F

So, at least Obama’s ‘logo on a shield’ is more creative than simply placing the two names (McCain & Palin) with a fleur-de-lis in the middle on an oval and calling it a coat of arms on an oval, which is equally, if not more so, absurd. I am sure this was done by the vendor and not the campaign…still it is childish.