McCarthy arms with bison

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

30 June 2006 13:17

I thought this was a nice example of a simply designed arms using an American beast:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/dennis/bison-moon.gif

http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/dennis/arms.htm

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

30 June 2006 22:01

I think I commented on this before on the old forum but if not somewhere. The use of American beasts in heraldry….great! To me the use of American animals in arms and moving away from the traditional European ones of old is really starting to show American individualism in arms….more beasties for me folks you have a wealth of cracking creatures over there.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

01 July 2006 02:05

I second John’s opinion. I like the use of American beasts and plants et al. It is distinctly American and hey…that is a very good thing! - we’re already celebrating the 4th of July here in Colorado!!! smile

Although I wonder why he didn’t go with an American form of deer, or even any of our many forms of elk? This way it would be alluding to his MacCarthy origins on the one hand and saying it in a distinctly American way in another. But, they are nice as is. However, I would suggest loosing the cadency symbols, as has been mentioned before, but that is also only a personal preference. He is to be commended on originality that is for sure.

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-06-2006

01 July 2006 08:35

The Canadians use elk, caribou and narwahl in their official heraldry, so it’s nice to see an American twist on things.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

01 July 2006 11:49

It’s not a mark of cadency.  As he says on his site:  "Although in this case it is an ordinary charge rather than a mark of cadency…"  A cadency crescent would be smaller and should be placed in a position where it couldn’t be confused with an regular charge.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

01 July 2006 12:15

I’m not talking about that Joe. I’m talking about what he set his kids up with – see his site – the link is provided in the first post.

Jim Pelletier

Jim Pelletier
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-06-2006

01 July 2006 12:38

Den, do you mean that he should have created unique arms for both boys as well, instead of using the label and crescent?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

01 July 2006 16:26

Hi Jim.

No I don’t. Just to drop the cadency marks.

edited by member for length

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

01 July 2006 17:45

The real question that we should all be asking is: "Why isn’t this American heraldic enthusiast a member of the AHS, or at least a regular contributor to its forum?"

smile

—dave—

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

01 July 2006 22:02

Quote:

The real question that we should all be asking is: "Why isn’t this American heraldic enthusiast a member of the AHS, or at least a regular contributor to its forum?"

Amen. That was my first thought when I went to his page. Someone here should invite him to join. His enthusiasm and creativity would be much appreciated - from me most certainly. smile

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

02 July 2006 05:01

I think he has Dennis as his post is now marked as an AHS member. So, welcome to the Society from a non US member. wink

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

02 July 2006 11:21

J Duncan of Sketraw wrote:

a happy 4th July when it comes to all you folks in the ....uhummmm Colonies :rolleyes: its a joke! no flogging’s please wink

Not at all.  Some of us over here are not ashamed of that word.  In the midst of all the recent debate over immigration, one frequently hears politicians say that all of us here, except Native Americans, are immigrants.  However, some of us remember that our ancestors were colonists—British people moving to another British dominion.  (And claimed for England by my ancestral cousin, for that matter!)

(Said light-heartedly as I quickly duck!)

/Charles

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

02 July 2006 11:37

Yes, yes…but in Beautiful Colorado we were first a Spanish, then Mexican by default, colony. So for us Coloradoans ‘colonies’ has an entirely different connotation.

OK kidding aside it is great to see a Scotsman (I was going to say Brit, but I know a couple of Scotsmen who hate being called Brits, so I didn’t want to go there) wishing us a happy birthday!

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

05 July 2006 13:39

Donnchadh wrote:

Amen. That was my first thought when I went to his page. Someone here should invite him to join. His enthusiasm and creativity would be much appreciated - from me most certainly. smile

Would that be the responsibility of the president? secretary?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 July 2006 15:02

It might be useful to have a separate thread or message folder, re: cadency—to discuss both the pro’s & con’s of cadency in general, and the specifics of various cadency or differencing schemes.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

05 July 2006 15:52

arriano wrote:

Would that be the responsibility of the president? secretary?

If you want me to draft a form email to send out to potential new members, I can do that.

Mike