Some new US Navy heraldry

Rob1

Rob1
Total Posts:  82
Joined  25-04-2007

09 April 2008 22:40

Terry;57031 wrote:

Rob,

Thank you, I have one of those "I love me corners" too.  The funny thing is it’s already full of swords.  A cutlass would be a nice addition.  :D

Rob

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

10 April 2008 02:16

According to NAVPERS 15665I (Article 3501.84), a sword is prescribed for all Navy commissioned officers on active duty (except chaplains) in the rank of Lieutenant Commander and above.  The sword is optional for Lieutenants and below.  As far as uniform regs are concerned, officers are the only ones who currently wear swords in the Navy (and only in full dress).  It’s not any part of the Chief’s uniform (or any other Petty Officer).

There is one exception to this:  Active duty CPOs (and perhaps other petty officers) assigned to the USS Constitution in Boston wear historically accurate uniforms from the 1800s according to current US Navy Uniform Regulations. Their uniforms permit the wearing of a "straight-edged cutlass."

At the current time, as far as I know, only Marine NCOs are permitted to wear a cutlass (and, by tradition, it must be presented as a gift, it cannot be purchased by the individual).

Rob1

Rob1
Joined  25-04-2007

10 April 2008 07:28

Rev. William, you are correct that is isn’t in a released reg yet.  The Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy has recommended that it be adopted as an optional uniform item for all Chiefs.  It’s just in channels at present. In fact, I’ve seen a Navy Press photo of the retiring MCPON presenting this same cutlass to his incoming replacement, I’ll try to dig it up for you.  It may even be on the web site I included in an earlier post.

Wow, it’s pretty amazing how these post can get off topic so quickly!:D

Regards,

Rob

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

10 April 2008 12:01

Well, you know how we old swabbies can be!  wink

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

Rob1

Rob1
Joined  25-04-2007

10 April 2008 14:08

Aye! I do!:D

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

17 April 2008 17:44

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Navy_Graphics/USNSNavajoCOA.jpg

"SHIELD:  Azure (Dark Blue) a compass rose Or quartered Or, Sable, Argent and Azure (Turquoise); on a wavy chief of the second a bear’s gamb erased Proper.

CREST:  On a wreath Or and Azure (Dark Blue) a wreath of palm fronds Proper surmounted by a tricolor rainbow annulet of Gules, Or and Azure (Turquoise) couped at the top all superimposed by a demi-trident Proper."

"SHIELD:  Dark blue and gold represent the Navy.  The compass rose signifies worldwide mission capability.  The colors of its quarters, gold, black, white and turquoise are significant in tribal tradition and representative of the four sacred mountains of Navajo mythology, Mount Blanca, Mount Taylor, Hesperus Peak and San Francisco Peaks.  The gold chief, wavy of four, again represents the Navy and the sacred mountains.  The bear paw, claws outstretched, symbolizes the salvage and retrieval missions of the USNS NAVAJO.  The bear, a skilled fisherman, is also prominent in Navajo lore and is symbolic of strength and determination.  Gold denotes excellence.

CREST:  The rainbow annulet is derived from the seal of the Navajo Nation, designed by John Claw, Jr. and adopted in 1952.  The three colors traditionally represent the tribe.  The wreath is a symbol of honor and achievement.  The demi-trident signifies mastery at sea and Navy expertise in accomplishing mission requirements."

Picture and information from TIOH.

Rob1

Rob1
Joined  25-04-2007

08 May 2008 18:27

Here’s one of the latest additions if everyone hasn’t seen it.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Navy/USSNewYork.htm

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

18 August 2008 07:18

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Navy_Graphics/USNSCarlBrashearCOA.jpg

USNS Carl Brashear.

"BLAZON

SHIELD: Azure (Dark Blue), on a fess enhanced Gules (Scarlet Red),edged Argent (Silver Gray), three triangular gads Argent , in base a sea lion Or (Old Gold), eyed, langued and clawed of the second, the caudal fin coupe-parted, holding an anchor of the last and between the anchor’s ring two mullets Argent ,all within a bordure Or.

CREST: A diver helm (Mark V) Or, charged with an inescutcheon, per pale Azure and Gules, a pale Or.

SEAL

The coat of arms as blazoned in full color on a white field enclosed by a blue oval border edged on the outside with gold rope and bearing the name ‘USNS CARL BRASHEAR’ at top and ‘T-AKE 7’ in base all in gold.

SYMBOLISM

SHIELD: Dark blue and gold are the colors traditionally associated with the Navy. Red denotes fearlessness. The red fess is higher to signify determination of Master Chief Boatswain’s Mate Brashear to triumph over racial prejudice to become the first African American deep-sea diver and the first certified and recertified amputee in the U. S. Navy. The triangular gads, the heraldic symbols for steel, suggest the prow of a ship, denoting the three major vessels that MCBM Brashear served as a diver, early in his career – USS Tripoli, USS Opportune and the USS Hoist. The sea lion with the separated caudal fin represents his death defying courage to continue naval service as a diver, confronting all obstacles and after losing his left leg during the mission to retrieve hydrogen bombs off the coast of Palomares, Italy. The anchor symbolizes his persistence, finally in 1970, becoming the first African American Master diver. The stars above the anchor is a modification of grade achieved during his naval career. The gold border honors Master Chief Brashear’s accomplishments.

CREST: The diver’s Mark V helmet bearing the shield memorializes Master Chief Brashear distinguished naval diving profession and acknowledges his struggles to become a diver and remain in the vocation. He was awarded the Navy-Marine Corp Medal for heroism during the Palomares incident, illustrated by the colors of the shield.

SUPPORTERS: The tridents symbolize sea prowess, emphasizing the T-AKE 7 mission to transport supplies and dry cargo.

SUPPORTERS: Behind the shield two tridents in saltire Azure.

MOTTO: A scroll Or and doubled Azure inscribed ‘AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT’ translates to ‘FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD’ of the last."

Chuck Glass

Chuck Glass
Total Posts:  265
Joined  12-06-2007

11 September 2008 19:20

[ATTACH]523[/ATTACH]

The USS Wayne E. Meyer

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

12 September 2008 12:24

And the Meyer is a Coast Guard vessel?  I thought all USCG vessels were prefixed "USCG ..." and that only USN vessels got the "USS ..."?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 September 2008 12:33

Doug Welsh;63273 wrote:

And the Meyer is a Coast Guard vessel? I thought all USCG vessels were prefixed "USCG ..." and that only USN vessels got the "USS ..."?

You are correct; this is in the wrong thread.  Coast Guard cutters are prefixed USCGC (oddly enough:  U.S. Coast Guard Cutter).

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

13 September 2008 07:52

The namesake is the "Father of AEGIS" Rear Admiral Wayne E. Meyer, hence the AEGIS symbolism and the shape of the seal. One question as the Rear Admiral still is alive, how frequent is there that a USN Ship is named after a living person?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

13 September 2008 08:20

Marcus K;63306 wrote:

One question as the Rear Admiral still is alive, how frequent is there that a USN Ship is named after a living person?

The answer used to be "never," but the Navy broke the rule for Carl Vinson (who, as it turned out, died before the ship was commissioned), and then Adm Hyman Rickover (who didn’t), and it’s since become a disturbingly frequent occurrence, including a few for people who shouldn’t have had ships named for them had they been long dead.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

14 September 2008 04:41

Joseph McMillan;63308 wrote:

The answer used to be "never," but the Navy broke the rule for Carl Vinson (who, as it turned out, died before the ship was commissioned), and then Adm Hyman Rickover (who didn’t), and it’s since become a disturbingly frequent occurrence, including a few for people who shouldn’t have had ships named for them had they been long dead.

Yes that is a rather unfortunate development and one can only hope that the Navy reverts to the old practice.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

15 September 2008 12:29

I recall that the USS Ronald Reagan was also named before he died, although the carrier itself wasn’t completed and launched until after his death.