Mail chutes in Kentucky Capitol

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 November 2008 09:56

This picture isn’t that great - I took it with my cell phone in a dark corner - but here is a photo of one of the very nice, brass US Mail chutes in the Kentucky State Capitol where I work.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7849/usmailfw2.jpg

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

17 November 2008 16:56

Yes, VERY nice.  I especially enjoy the way the light colour of the page assists the polished brass in evading the gaze of the Sassenach members of this forum.

8-)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

17 November 2008 17:19

What do you expect from a free image hosting site? I uploaded the image again and changed the link.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

18 November 2008 09:01

Kenneth Mansfield;64554 wrote:

What do you expect from a free image hosting site? I uploaded the image again and changed the link.

And it worked very well, Kenneth.  LOL!  I recall seeing such "chutes" in office buildings on both sides of the CAN-US border, but, to the best of my knowledge, few are still in use, although most are still kept polished by the maintainance staffs.  At least, up here north of that border.  (Our Postal Service keeps cutting services in an attempt to "remain competitive", which I don’t understand, as they have a monopoly on mail carrying and mail delivery, set in law, so there are no "competitors".)

I will say this - That particular "chute" is among the most attractive I’ve seen.  The usual is a sort of "Late Art Deco" angular effect.