How Friendship Does Win

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

06 December 2008 15:48

A recent project of mine may be a wee bit curious regarding the matters of heraldic design. I had to design and to paint a family coat and the client’s idea was to use a lion Argent and a greyhound Or, both rampant and facing one another.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sPiVp5N3GVk/STrge0XofYI/AAAAAAAAAdE/LIqfkAtlFfQ/s400/king3.jpgMy initial draft

But this looked like a struggle, a “combatant” attitude; the client did not imply that.

I changed (hopefully) the effect by inserting a fleur-de-lis, so the beasts had a common occupation smileThe final painting

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

06 December 2008 16:10

Very nicely done.  I prefer the second option with the beasts supporting the fleur de lys.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

06 December 2008 16:46

Yes I think the placing of the Fleur-de-Lys between the Lion and the Greyhound clearly makes them seem less "Combatant". I might add that I find the way of displaying the Crest quite ingenious.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

06 December 2008 17:34

Yes, tehy seem less to battle than to support the fleur de lys.  Though I must admit I do enjoy the first design where a dog has the bravery to face a lion.  Somewhat amusing, too, since it still is a feline.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

07 December 2008 00:40

A dog…feline?!!  How about canine?

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

07 December 2008 02:29

No, the lion.  It is amusing that a dog would fight a lion, as if it were any other feline.

David E. Cohen

David E. Cohen
Total Posts:  359
Joined  08-02-2008

07 December 2008 08:18

Very nice, and a good solution.  My compliments as usual to your artistic skill, as well.

P.S.  Though you do a very good job in all facets, I always seem to be very impressed by your treatment of the helms.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

07 December 2008 09:03

Very nice solution. Did you consider at all placing them addorsed? That may have made it appear they were snubbing each other but then you could have intertwined their tails which would have looked like a connection of affection. It is done now but I’m curious to know if you considered it.

dr.h.roth

dr.h.roth
Total Posts:  129
Joined  19-03-2008

07 December 2008 11:02

I do not mean to be contrary to everybody else, but I do prefer the first version, a cleaner, more traditional look. For the second option, how about counter-charging the fleur-de-lys?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

07 December 2008 11:11

Yes, cross countercharging the fleur would look nice. This achievement, however, is quite well done just the way it is. Congrats!

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

07 December 2008 14:08

very nice design

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

08 December 2008 03:55

Friends, thank you all!

The fleur-de-lis per pale Or and Arg. could be artistically better and actually this was my first suggestion; but the symbolic effect would be undesirable. The flower would appear too French and regal. It also should not be specifically Marian. And I was unwilling to add extra tinctures. Whence the resulting version.

Deer Sniper

Deer Sniper
Total Posts:  222
Joined  13-06-2008

24 December 2008 03:06

In the first example, from a knee jerk reaction, I found it to have a rather potentially Scottish feel, from the colors and the lion rampant to the rather Pictish or Gaelic styled charges. in the second example I didn’t get this feeling at all. The change in the style of art as well as the addition of the fleur-de-lis and the different helm and crest, changed the flavor of the arms in a marked way. I like both examples but I think perhaps the latter a bit more.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

24 December 2008 13:37

Marcus K;64995 wrote:

Yes I think the placing of the Fleur-de-Lys between the Lion and the Greyhound clearly makes them seem less "Combatant". I might add that I find the way of displaying the Crest quite ingenious.

I have to say I like both crest presentations.  I can’t chose between the mantling styles at all, I like them both as well.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

24 December 2008 20:09

dr.h.roth;65008 wrote:

I do not mean to be contrary to everybody else, but I do prefer the first version, a cleaner, more traditional look. For the second option, how about counter-charging the fleur-de-lys?

I have to throw in with Dr. Roth and join his camp.  The first draft has a more pristine and ancient feel to it, as if it is ready for the battlefield; the second draft seems more "gentrified," as if were a product from the Louis XVI period, suitable only for carved mantlepieces or statuary.

If I were your client, I’d choose the former.

Both renditions are masterfully executed—I just prefer the former.  As "our" Mike says, "de gustibus, etc."

Cheers!

—Guy

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

02 January 2009 17:49

Both are beautiful examples of your work, Michael.  However, I, too, like the first better than the second.  I would have been interested in seeing the fleur-de-lis added to your first example.  I especially like the mantling on the first.  But, as I said, both are wonderful examples of the caliber of your work.  Nicely done!  I hope your client appreciates your efforts on his/her behalf.