incorrect arms of US on inauguration postmark

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

18 December 2008 10:59

You can see this incorrection version of the national arms on the pictorial postmark at http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2008/pb22248.pdf (go to page 79).

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

18 December 2008 11:40
arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

18 December 2008 12:00

How odd. It’s as if it’s a special seal for an inauguration. In the USPS’ defense, they never refer to the postmark as the national coat of arms. It would be interesting to know who designed it and what the rationale was for the design.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

18 December 2008 12:01

The arms with with three stars has been used for inaugurations before.  No doubt, a reference to G. Washington’s arms.  I am sure Joseph M will write the article and post it by tonight. :D   The Presidential Inaugural Committee has its own coat of arms.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 December 2008 14:12

Michael Swanson;65233 wrote:

The arms with with three stars has been used for inaugurations before. No doubt, a reference to G. Washington’s arms. I am sure Joseph M will write the article and post it by tonight. wink

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

18 December 2008 14:35

Joseph McMillan;65235 wrote:

No, no… I’m the director of research, not the researcher.  I hereby assign Mike Swanson, who clearly has already dug into this matter in great depth, to write the article.  wink

Seeing that I am not on the board and or any committee, I’d be happy to for a fee.  I get paid by the job and not the hour, and paid in advance.

Alexander Liptak

Alexander Liptak
Total Posts:  846
Joined  06-06-2008

19 December 2008 12:21

There is the restriction of the American achievement as seal of the United States that would require approval of one of either the President, the whole of Congress or the whole of the Supreme Court.  The three additional stars would allow the image to be used without any of the governmental bodies granting permission.

Besides, I am sure that most of Congress and the Supreme Court would think it belittling to have the nation’s achievement on souvenirs.  Even if President Elect Obama would grant such a thing, he could not until January 20th of 2009; until then President Bush would need to approve the use.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

19 December 2008 13:14

I think it is supposed to look like the arms, but in addition to the three stars, the inaugural "logo" seems to be palewise of 11 rather than 13.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

19 December 2008 18:07

This logo strikes me as just another of countless approximations of the arms of the United States used in the logos of governmental and non-governmental organizations. It is my impression that none of these are regarded as differenced coats of arms adopted by these agencies, but are merely logos evocative of the national arms. So great is the ignorance of and indifference to heraldry in this republic, that it seems rarely to occur to anyone that there is a true coat of arms of the United States, which can and ought to be used correctly. The red-and-white striped shield with a blue top is treated as just another patriotic image, which, like the bald eagle, artists may employ and adapt as suites their purposes. Whether the national arms are depicted correctly is not even a question.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

20 December 2008 11:01

I think there is consistency in the design for many decades.  There is enough consistency to say that they are using one design: Argent, six pallets Gules, on a chief Azure three stars Argent.

I would be interested in who the point person is.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

20 December 2008 16:50

Michael Swanson;65245 wrote:

I would be interested in who the point person is.

Look for this really OLD dude in unpressed cords and a baggy sweater who keeps reaching under it to get a drawing pencil out of his pocket protector.  Or his glasses.

Unless you just meant the guy responsible for the 2009 inaugural memorabilia.  Everything will be the same, except he will be slightly younger.

Jay Bohn

Jay Bohn
Total Posts:  283
Joined  04-03-2008

20 December 2008 19:41

Michael Swanson;65245 wrote:

I think there is consistency in the design for many decades. There is enough consistency to say that they are using one design: Argent, six pallets Gules, on a chief Azure three stars Argent.

I agree that the shapes are consistent, but only the 1981 example is shown "full color" as it were, and that has five rather than six pallets. In the "black and white"  or "gold and whte" examples the pallets are white.