Roll of Early American Arms

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 April 2008 00:40

About 10 or so arms for names starting with J are now uploaded to Eric Hall’s continuing Roll of Early American Arms linked from our site’s home page.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

30 December 2008 16:03

Has this project been sent to the back burner? I was really enjoying the periodic updates.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

30 December 2008 18:27

The speed of the project is inversely proportional to Eric Hall’s real world workload.

Although as research director I’d be delighted if anyone else would want to take on additional emblazonments from the various American armorials.  We’re looking for shield only, roughly 150 to 250 pixels high, from sources such as Crozier, Bolton, Vermont, Heraldic Journal, Matthews, NEHGS, etc.  The source should preferably give the arms as being borne in what is now the US, before about 1825.  E-mail images, source, etc., to me at j_mcmillan@verizon.net and I’ll edit them to the appropriate pages.

For this project, clip-art is quite acceptable—it’s simply intended as documentation, not necessarily high art.

If anyone has an interest in doing fancier emblazonments of the arms of famous Americans, let me know off line and we can launch another project.  I have some collected blazons that the artistically minded can choose from.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

04 January 2009 00:28

I haven’t been counting, but I feel like there’s a steady accretion of arms in this roll that came from maternal lines. Can anyone more erudite than I am safely generalize about whether these settlers adopted matrilineal arms a) out of ignorance, b) because their mothers were typically bona fide heraldic heiresses married to non-armigers, or c) because they were consciously throwing off the fetters of tradition? I realize the last is extremely unlikely prior to the 1770s.

Let me be clear that I’m just curious. I’m not suggesting we should approve of usurping whatever arms from distaff lines in the family tree catch one’s fancy. Using a maternal grandfather’s arms might be one thing, but using great x 5, x 10, etc. grandfather’s through a series of maternal connections is probably something quite different.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

04 January 2009 09:23

Fred White;65530 wrote:

I haven’t been counting, but I feel like there’s a steady accretion of arms in this roll that came from maternal lines. Can anyone more erudite than I am safely generalize about whether these settlers adopted matrilineal arms a) out of ignorance, b) because their mothers were typically bona fide heraldic heiresses married to non-armigers, or c) because they were consciously throwing off the fetters of tradition? I realize the last is extremely unlikely prior to the 1770s.

Let me be clear that I’m just curious. I’m not suggesting we should approve of usurping whatever arms from distaff lines in the family tree catch one’s fancy. Using a maternal grandfather’s arms might be one thing, but using great x 5, x 10, etc. grandfather’s through a series of maternal connections is probably something quite different.

I’m not sure it’s so much a "steady accretion," as it is that there are some number of people in Matthews’ American Armoury (Eric Hall’s primary source thus far) who, at the time the book was compiled, were using their maternal grandfather’s arms.  Zieber noted this practice, albeit with some disapproval, and there are some examples of Americans earlier than the Matthews period doing the same thing, John Adams being the most famous example.

My impression is that Fred’s (b) is the most common reason for this practice, although I’m not sure the mother was always necessarily a heraldic heiress.  It would be a good research project for someone to go back and look at the genealogical information on the families involved to see if a pattern can be discerned.  It would also be interesting to know how early this appears in America, whether the same practice appears (if illicitly) in the England of the period, etc.

(That’s another unsubtle hint to everyone from your AHS research director.)

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

04 January 2009 16:36

Joseph McMillan;65532 wrote:

It would be a good research project for someone to go back and look at the genealogical information on the families involved to see if a pattern can be discerned.  It would also be interesting to know how early this appears in America, whether the same practice appears (if illicitly) in the England of the period, etc.

Indeed, it would.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

05 January 2009 20:09

(And that was an unsubtle rejection of the previous post’s hint.)

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

06 January 2009 01:22

Doug Welsh;65587 wrote:

(And that was an unsubtle rejection of the previous post’s hint.)

Why do you say that?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

06 January 2009 07:02

Joseph McMillan;65532 wrote:

I’m not sure it’s so much a "steady accretion," as it is that there are some number of people in Matthews’ American Armoury

It occurs to me that this is only half a thought—what I meant was that new cases are not steadily being discovered, merely that the number in our roll grows as Eric works through Matthews’ Armoury.

Doug Welsh

Doug Welsh
Total Posts:  445
Joined  20-06-2008

06 January 2009 14:12

Fred White;65594 wrote:

Why do you say that?

Were you in fact volunteering to take up Joseph’s "hint" for a research project?  :confused:

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

26 March 2009 13:36

Joseph McMillan;65413 wrote:

Although as research director I’d be delighted if anyone else would want to take on additional emblazonments from the various American armorials.

I’ve been thinking about this. I’m really slow at emblazonments, even with simple clip art. So I was wondering if it would be any help if I were to create and submit a table (like we have now) with Names, Blazons, Comments, Sources for arms not yet listed. If so, then once it’s posted, others might be willing to take on emblazonments that could then simply be added as they are created.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

26 March 2009 16:13

Sure, take a crack at it.  I think we chose a cutoff of 1825 or thereabouts as being "early American."  Send me an e-mail and I’ll show you how to write the wiki code for the tables—it’s a piece of cake.

j_mcmillan@verizon.net

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 March 2009 14:34

Are you guys looking for electronic emblazons only or by hand as well? If by hand I can help out, but I have no software, or knowledge of how, to do electronic emblazonments and so couldn’t help that way. Let me know.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

07 May 2018 01:35

kate spade outlet online
pandora jewelry outlet
canada goose jacket
fitflops sale clearance
adidas originals
canada goose
pandora jewelry outlet