Legation Arms

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 February 2009 23:10

Just in case anyone thinks the government isn’t serious about the national coat of arms, this is from the Pacific Monthly for May 1900, from Google Books:

Quote:

An Interesting Historical Reminiscence.

In 1863, Dr. James McBride, a pioneer of 1847, was appointed minister to the Sandwich Islands, by President Lincoln, and soon after his arrival there he had the American coat of arms placed over the entrance to the American legation.

In 1864 an English man-of-war stopped at Honolulu, having on board two cadets in the English navy, both sons of peers. One of them, Lord Charles Beresford, is now high in the service. This was during the war of the Rebellion, when England was rather unfriendly to the United States, and many Englishmen were inclined to think that the United States government was of no special consequence, and was practically destroyed. His friend, in order to show his contempt for the United States government, went to the American legation, tore down Dr. McBride’s coat-of-arms, and hired a native to row them with it into the bay where the ship was anchored.

When it was discovered that the coat-of-arms was missing, the American minister instituted a search, and soon found the native who had taken it to the ship. A search warrant was procured and the coat-of-arms brought back—by an officer. The commandant of the man-of-war and the English minister at Honolulu immediately called on the American minister and offered an apology in the name of their government for the insult which had been offered. After having made their apology, they stated that they supposed this was satisfactory, and that they had atoned for the offence.  The American minister informed them that this was not satisfactory, and that representatives of the British government had not only committed a theft, but had by their acts insulted the government represented by him. He further said that, having taken down the coat-of-arms with their own hands, he would not be satisfied until they themselves put it back where they got it. At this the English minister and commandant protested, saying that such a demand was humiliating and disgraceful and could not be complied with. The American minister, however, insisted on a compliance with his demand, saying that the disgrace consisted in the act of stealing the coat-of-arms, and that nothing short of this would be considered reparation for their offense. After considerable diplomatic correspondence and some delay, the English minister agreed to comply with the demand of Dr. McBride, and the latter mentioned the next noon as the time when the coat-of-arms should be replaced.

It was soon noised about Honolulu that the two young men were to replace the coat-of-arms the next day at 12 o’clock. When the time came thousands of the people from the city and surrounding country were there to witness the ceremony. The young men afterward entered the legation and tendered an apology.

Minister McBride reported the affair to Secretary Seward, who complimented him and demanded an apology from the English government, which was made, and the two young men called home and dismissed from the navy for five years. Lord Charles Beresford has since won distinction in the English army. He commanded the landing forces at Alexandria in 1882. His brother, Lord William Beresford, subsequently married an American girl.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

06 February 2009 00:41

Interesting that the article does not seem to be able to tell the difference between army and navy, since Lord Charles Beresford was never (AFAIK) in the army and at the time of writing would have been 2-in-c Mediterranean. He went on to be C-in-C Channel 1903-5, C-in-C Mediterranean 1905-7 and C-in-C Channel again 1907-9.

The behaviour described does not surprise me as he could be a nasty piece of work who seemed to think he was entitled to be First Sea Lord and used his social and political connections (he combined the navy with a parliamentary career) to try to force Fisher from office. During World War One he succeeded in forcing Battenberg out.

James

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

06 February 2009 07:00

When I was working in the US Navy Department in the late 70s, one of our carrier battle groups was about to make the first port visit to Piraeus in a number of years.  Detailed instructions were sent out providing rules of conduct while ashore—the Carter Administration was very concerned about rebuilding US-Greek relations following the period of junta rule.  One that I distinctly remember having been emphasized was that crew members should avoid doing anything that could be construed as an insult to the Greek flag; apart from being a crime, it would be a serious diplomatic embarrassment.

So of course the first night ashore three junior officers got themselves arrested when they tried to scale the front of a police station so they could take the flag flying over the doorway as a souvenir.

Some things never change.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 February 2009 13:45

this is the kind of thing that makes me think your assesment of historic american heraldry is right on.

when you all go to print a book with the arms of the u.s. presidents (i’m hoping you will undertake a civic one for here and a book as well!) i hope this is the kind of stuff that will go in a forward.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

06 February 2009 14:44

Donnchadh;66354 wrote:

when you all go to print a book with the arms of the u.s. presidents (i’m hoping you will undertake a civic one for here and a book as well!) i hope this is the kind of stuff that will go in a forward.

Oh, Lord!  Denny, you’ve just added two more book ideas to a backlog of about six ideas, some on heraldry and others not.  Got to find an agent, a publisher…and more free time!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 February 2009 17:31

Joseph McMillan;66360 wrote:

Oh, Lord!  Denny, you’ve just added two more book ideas to a backlog of about six ideas, some on heraldry and others not.  Got to find an agent, a publisher…and more free time!

lol. sorry. but, i am a huge fan of these series you’ve done and while i like seeing them here…i’d love to own one in print. i’m not kidding when i say i will be in line to get one when they are ready.

besides…you’ve got nothing better to do with your time…i mean you only have a family, a career, and some honey-do things to do around the house…right…so you should have plenty of time to begin all six books!!! wink

(time to duck and hide….)

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

06 February 2009 17:55

Got to find an agent, a publisher…and more free time!

At the risk of taking this thread further off track…  you don’t need a publisher.

You can self publish your book at any quantity.

Here’s a list of companies that offer that service: http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Publishing_and_Printing/Publishing/Self-Publishing/On_Demand/

Without endorsing anyone on the list, I have heard of Lulu and iUniverse.  Though, perhaps Xlibris may be more appropriate smile

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

07 February 2009 01:13

Got to find an agent, a publisher…and more free time!

For a publisher, you could always try Erably Editions.