Colonial Heraldry

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

05 February 2009 19:30

I came across this book online:

Chapin, Howard M.,. Colonial heraldry : a roll of the arms used in the English colony of Rhode Island in New England, 1636-1776 : together with historical and heraldic notes. Providence: E.A. Johnson Co., printers, 1929.

I know a little about Chapin—that he created arms for towns in Rhode Island. Does anyone have this book? Is it considered a good source of information?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 February 2009 19:40

arriano;66337 wrote:

Chapin, Howard M.,. Colonial heraldry : a roll of the arms used in the English colony of Rhode Island in New England, 1636-1776 : together with historical and heraldic notes. Providence: E.A. Johnson Co., printers, 1929.

I know a little about Chapin—that he created arms for towns in Rhode Island. Does anyone have this book? Is it considered a good source of information?

I don’t have it, but I’ve looked at it.  As I recall it is well documented and scholarly.  Chapin was a well respected historian, especially on New England colonial history and early American naval history, a member of the American Antiquarian Society (which is by election, not merely application), and librarian of the NEHGS.  I’d be inclined to take his work seriously.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

06 February 2009 11:53

Thanks. I’ll try to find some time this weekend to read through it. I don’t have any connections to colonials of Rhode Island (at least of which I’m aware) but I thought it might be interesting.

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

06 February 2009 20:28

arriano;66337 wrote:

It’s a pretty decent little (88 pp.) book.  It’s very well done for what it is—a record of arms used in a confined area for a specific period of time.  I expect it would be most interesting to someone who is either researching early Rhode Island (for whatever reason) or heraldry in colonial British North America.

David

David B. Appleton

Heraldry: Musings on an esoteric topic

http://blog.appletonstudios.com

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 February 2009 15:00

If its out of copyright, a listing of the arms contained in the book (names, towns, blazons) would seem to be a useful addition to our website, given Joe’s posting re: the background of the author.

arriano

arriano
Joined  20-08-2004

10 February 2009 19:16

Out of print currently, yes. However, if you subscribe to Ancestry.com it’s available to read, download, etc.

It might be good to include the names/arms evetually to the ongoing "Roll of Early American Arms" section.

Also, the basic info about the book might be worth listing on the Bookshelf page.